10 Deep?

1,240 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFCityBear
R90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Most teams go with a 6, 7 or 8-man rotation by the time the conference season starts.

These guys all average more than 15 minutes per game, and would make a solid 8-man rotation for us, with 3 post players and 5 guards/wings:
31.0 mpg. Bradley
30.3 mpg. South
29.3 mpg. Anticevich
26.5 mpg. Brown
24.0 mpg. Kelly
21.8 mpg. Austin
15.7 mpg. Harris-Dyson
15.3 mpg. Thiemann

We have 3 potential candidates for a regular 4th post who'd probably get about 10 mpg:
12.0 mpg. Gordon
3.0 mpg. Kuany
2.0 mpg. Thorpe

We also have some candidates for minutes on the wing at the 3-spot, but they'd have to show significant improvement to be worthy of taking minutes from the five established guards:
3.0 mpg. Klonaras
3.0 mpg. Kuany

Going 10-deep against Duke, would leave us relatively fresh the next day for Texas or Georgetown.

Seeing this as a rebuilding year, I'd like to see a continuing emphasis on developing the freshmen and sophomores by playing a deeper bench. Of course it's tempting to play for more wins now by just playing your best 6, 7 or 8. Hopefully Fox will find time for his younger prospects in his game plans.
It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
Pigskin Pete
R90 said:

Most teams go with a 6, 7 or 8-man rotation by the time the conference season starts.

These guys all average more than 15 minutes per game, and would make a solid 8-man rotation for us, with 3 post players and 5 guards/wings:
31.0 mpg. Bradley
30.3 mpg. South
29.3 mpg. Anticevich
26.5 mpg. Brown
24.0 mpg. Kelly
21.8 mpg. Austin
15.7 mpg. Harris-Dyson
15.3 mpg. Thiemann

We have 3 potential candidates for a regular 4th post who'd probably get about 10 mpg:
12.0 mpg. Gordon
3.0 mpg. Kuany
2.0 mpg. Thorpe

We also have some candidates for minutes on the wing at the 3-spot, but they'd have to show significant improvement to be worthy of taking minutes from the five established guards:
3.0 mpg. Klonaras
3.0 mpg. Kuany

Going 10-deep against Duke, would leave us relatively fresh the next day for Texas or Georgetown.

Seeing this as a rebuilding year, I'd like to see a continuing emphasis on developing the freshmen and sophomores by playing a deeper bench. Of course it's tempting to play for more wins now by just playing your best 6, 7 or 8. Hopefully Fox will find time for his younger prospects in his game plans.
We will likely have plenty of opportunities to go deeper into the bench for Thursday's game.
BeachedBear
Waaay to early to do this, but based on 4 games and how Fox is coaching, I think Austin and Thiemann will see their minutes go down as Kuany and Thorpe see their minutes go up.

TheSouseFamily
BeachedBear said:

Waaay to early to do this, but based on 4 games and how Fox is coaching, I think Austin and Thiemann will see their minutes go down as Kuany and Thorpe see their minutes go up.

I think you're right about Austin and Thiemann though it may be a little early to say with Kuany and Thorpe. I'd add Gordon too to the list of those who I'd expect to see fewer minutes.

parentswerebears
I thought that Gordon would play a more elevated role on this team. Is it still the remnants of the injury?
oskidunker
No Although he is tentative at times
Go Bears!
TheSouseFamily
Just as addendum to my previous comment: I think it's smart for Fox to play a deep bench at this point in the season. With a new coach and a lot of new players, guys are gonna get more rope to show how they can perform and in what roles. This is a luxury you get early on basketball that you dont get in football. But once we get closer to conference play, i suspect Fox will make some of the minutes adjustments that we're discussing. Not necessary that that happen now.
SFCityBear
parentswerebears said:

I thought that Gordon would play a more elevated role on this team. Is it still the remnants of the injury?

It is early, but it looks as though Gordon's minutes increasing may depend on him making his three point shots.. He went 2-2 in his first game but hasn't made any since. He shot free throws well last year and this year, close to 80%, so you might see him in close games where the opponent is looking to foul on purpose to get the ball back. His rebounding is good, about 8 per 40 minutes. If he could make his threes consistently coming in cold off the bench, he could become a real asset. If he could drive more and get to the free throw line, that would be a plus.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.