Bears vs Huskies

9,447 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFCityBear
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The only stat we are eating doo doo on is boards.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
FloriDreaming
Dang. Tied up. Cumon Bears!
sonofabear51
OT
Start Slowly and taper off
calgldnbear
5 minutes of extra hoops

Come on Bears !!!!!

Gut check time
calbearinamaze
So, OK

We'll always have Paris
calgldnbear
Matt Bradley for President!!!!!!
sonofabear51
Hell Yes!!! Bear Territory!!
calbearinamaze
calgldnbear said:

Matt Bradley for President!!!!!!
He has my vote!
Mikeman
Did he call board when he launched it?
FloriDreaming
Woohoo! Nice OT win for the Bears! Finding some confidence and playing with heart!
HoopDreams
Boom!
Big C
Back from the game: Is this the record for fewest game-thread posts, conference game? Maybe I shoulda contributed from my mobile, during the game. Nah...

Nice win for the Bears! Where the two wins this week really help is for mid-season morale. The players and the staff and the fans that have been showing up needed a little something... and we got it! Now this goes down as one of the Top 100 Cal Basketball Games I've Ever Seen (in person or on TV), mainly because of the ending.

GO BEARS!!!
sonofabear51
I'll second that Big C! This was a gut check and a confidence builder for sure. Like the direction the program is going post Wyking.
oskidunker
Better than staying home and watching the niners. Made it from San Bruno to Berkely in 25 minutes. No one on freeway. Shades of 1968. .
Go Bears!
bearister
Most fun being at a Bears game for a long time.
Lars reflections:
1. He went 3 for 4 from the field including a turn around hook with his left hand and a tip in;
2. He disrupted several shots inside from a long team.

How did Lars do compared to the pair of Husky freshman 7 footers? Oh, I forgot, they played zero minutes. Most freshman 7 footers are still working on putting their socks on properly and learning to tie their shoes.

I am very happy we swapped out Vanover for Lars. Vanover played worse defense than a 6th grade CYO player and he wouldn't be hitting the 3 ball if Lars was guarding him man to man defense.

Big C
bearister said:

Lars reflections:
1. He went 3 for 4 from the field including a turn around hook with his left hand and a tip in;

How did Lars do compared to the pair of Husky freshman 7 footers? Oh, I forgot, they played zero minutes. Most freshman 7 footers are still working on putting their socks on properly and learning to tie their shoes.

I am very happy we swapped out Vanover for Lars. Vanover played worse defense than a 6th grade CYO player and he wouldn't be hitting the 3 ball if Lars was guarding him man to man defense.

Understandable, given the game, but you're giddy. February/March Vanover was an awesome thing.
bearister
Big C said:

bearister said:

Lars reflections:

Understandable, given the game, but you're giddy. February/March Vanover was an awesome thing.

If he performs well at Arkansas, then I'm dead wrong. If he flops then his positives here seemed larger than life because they were in the context of a team that lost 16 in a row.
SFCityBear
slsYahoo said:

What's word on Juhwan Harris-Dyson

Probably the usual.
ducky23
As someone who has been extremely skeptical of fox, this was very encouraging.

My biggest fear was that this team was going to continue to lose, morale was going to sink and we were going to see some defections. And then the rebuild becomes impossible.

For any rebuild to be possible, you want to see buy in from the players. And that's what you saw today. They not only played hard, but they had a clear plan on defense and bought in to what fox wanted to do.

Considering how much losing this team has experienced the last few years, being willing to buy in like that (and not just quitting) takes a lot of character.

Whether fox can really rebuild this thing is still up in the air. But seeing the players starting to buy in is the first key step.
UrsaMajor
Curious about UDub's defense. I know their coach is a Boeheim disciple, but it seemed to me that with their length, they could be a lot more disruptive playing man.
SFCityBear
Mikeman said:

Did he call board when he launched it?
In the interview he was asked if he called "Bank", and he replied that he had called "Game".
bearister
UrsaMajor said:

Curious about UDub's defense. I know their coach is a Boeheim disciple, but it seemed to me that with their length, they could be a lot more disruptive playing man.

Weren't they vulnerable guarding much smaller quicker players? Their whole team was 6'9 dudes. A few times Paris and Matt made them look like they had concrete boots on as they blew by hem.
HoopDreams
Agree. Every season is a journey and different teams have different goals

I enjoy and support the team no matter what. I got their back

In tough seasons every win is big, and wins over a team like UW are sweet

That was an exciting and fun win!

Big C said:

Back from the game: Is this the record for fewest game-thread posts, conference game? Maybe I shoulda contributed from my mobile, during the game. Nah...

Nice win for the Bears! Where the two wins this week really help is for mid-season morale. The players and the staff and the fans that have been showing up needed a little something... and we got it! Now this goes down as one of the Top 100 Cal Basketball Games I've Ever Seen (in person or on TV), mainly because of the ending.

GO BEARS!!!
ducky23
UrsaMajor said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Especially when you have a shotbocker in the middle. They should be playing Romar type defense
bearister
I also thought the Huskies were the beneficiaries of some generous officiating. They were getting away with over the back rebounds, body slams on loose balls and mugging us in the paint (all to make up for being a step slower than our wittle guys),

I was impressed with Thorpe's brief appearance and Kuany's 3 and the fact he wasn't afraid to put the ball on the floor a little bit.
slsYahoo said:

What's word on Juhwan Harris-Dyson
The word is that we win more when he doesn't play.
ducky23 said:

UrsaMajor said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Especially when you have a shotbocker in the middle. They should be playing Romar type defense
The one advantage of playing a zone with a shotblocker in the middle is that the offense cannot compel your center to leave the key defensively. Not that that is the reason Hopkins uses it - he uses it because that's what he knows from coaching with Boeheim.

Zones can be very effective and man can be very effective in college. The NBA has convoluted rules to prevent a true zone defense from being played and there are so many good 3 point shooters in the NBA game now that many guys can hit shots without someone right in their face.
stu
ducky23 said:

As someone who has been extremely skeptical of fox, this was very encouraging. ...
+1
RJABear
Both games this weekend we encouraging. The Bears played solid team D. They also had a plan o offense and attacked the zone. Cal took more good shots than bad shots.

Fox knows how to work the refs.

The staff keeps coaching. Good or bad play. Winning or loosing. There is always a learning opportunity.

At this level that will win a lot of games.
- force the opponent to take bad 'hero' shots
- mostly take good open shots yourself.

We have a long way to go as a team. The players seem to be making progress.
GoCal80
bearister said:

I also thought the Huskies were the beneficiaries of some generous officiating. They were getting away with over the back rebounds, body slams on loose balls and mugging us in the paint (all to make up for being a step slower than our wittle guys),

I was impressed with Thorpe's brief appearance and Kuany's 3 and the fact he wasn't afraid to put the ball on the floor a little bit.
Completely agree with everything you wrote. I in particular thought Stewart was getting away with pushing and elbowing on offense in the paint, and it seemed to me he could have been called for 3 seconds multiple times
UrsaMajor
Props to BI posters. Not one post (so far) saying we only won because UW is a terrible team.
RJABear
UrsaMajor said:

Props to BI posters. Not one post (so far) saying we only won because UW is a terrible team.
it was an excellent win over a highly regarded team.

We all know how well the Huskies have recruited. Their players were highly regarded. They looked long and athletic.

I'd like to think that it was excellent Bear defense. Not the fact that UW was adjusting with the loss (to academics) of a starter.
calbearinamaze
UrsaMajor said:

They are far from a terrible team, but they were without, by far, their best PG (Quade Green)
who has been ruled academically ineligible?

However, HUGE WIN

and

Green ain't gonna be back for the game up there.
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

Certainly not terrible, but the Huskies were young and a little inconsistent in the preseason, following a great win over Baylor in their first game. Against Cal, they struggled some without Green, as they did against Stanford the game before. Green was having a really good year up until then, and now they are faced with finding a replacement for him. They don't have anyone of Green's caliber ready to take over. Without Green, they probably did not defend Paris Austin as well as they could have. I don't think we will know how good this Washington team we beat really is until after they have played say, 5 or 6 games without Green. Still, it was a very good win, an exciting one, and an unexpected one.
calumnus
ducky23 said:

As someone who has been extremely skeptical of fox, this was very encouraging.

My biggest fear was that this team was going to continue to lose, morale was going to sink and we were going to see some defections. And then the rebuild becomes impossible.

For any rebuild to be possible, you want to see buy in from the players. And that's what you saw today. They not only played hard, but they had a clear plan on defense and bought in to what fox wanted to do.

Considering how much losing this team has experienced the last few years, being willing to buy in like that (and not just quitting) takes a lot of character.

Whether fox can really rebuild this thing is still up in the air. But seeing the players starting to buy in is the first key step.

Agreed. Big win for the Bears.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.