Story Poster
Photo by Cal Athletics
Cal Basketball

Bears Routed by Trojans

January 16, 2020

LOS ANGELES  – Matt Bradley and Kareem South combined for 25 points, but the Golden Bears were stifled, 88-56, at Southern California Thursday to snap a two-game win streak for Cal.

Jonah Mathews scored 19 points, Daniel Utomi added 17 as USC took its eighth win in its last nine games.

Onyeka Okongwu had 12 points and eight rebounds for the Trojans (14-3, 3-1 Pac-12), who led for all but the first 101 seconds. USC made 14 3-pointers, with Utomi sinking four and Mathews three.

Bradley gave Cal its only lead with a layup 33 seconds into the game. The Trojans then scored the next six points and led the rest of the way.

South's jumper brought the Golden Bears within 22-19 when the Trojans scored 11 of the next 12 points to put it out of reach. Utomi had four points during the run as USC was three of four from the field and made a pair of 3-pointers.

USC led 42-25 at halftime and extended its lead to 34 late in the second half.

Discussion from...

Bears Routed by Trojans

5,775 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BeachedBear
Oakbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
they just can't shoot, even from the FT line 50%, USC shot 50% from the field . Fox may be able to coach, but sure seemed lacking tonight
HoopDreams
yeah, Lars can't dunk

Bear19
Definitely a bad game from the lads tonight. We don't have the talent (yet) to survive games when the team is having an off night. That will have to change, no doubt.
LMK5
The announcers credited the USC defense for holding the bears to 56 points. What BS. The Bears just can't shoot even when uncontested, and USC can. End of analysis.
BC Calfan
Didn't see game yet. Thorpe with 9. How did he look?
LMK5
BC Calfan said:

Didn't see game yet. Thorpe with 9. How did he look?
I have to plead ignorance on that. What I can tell you is the subs thrown in late looked better than many of the starters.
UrsaMajor
yeh. Grant was 0-7 (zero points) and most of his shots either grazed front rim or were airballs. I thought Thorpe had a decent game and Kouany has promise.
LateHit
Great decided to unveil his turn-around step-back jumper. Needs some work.
FloriDreaming
Young team, this is what happens. It'll be up-and-down like this all season. More downs than ups, but even through all that I can see this Cal team is fundamentally playing a lot better than the past couple years. And doing it with far less talent than I've seen on a Cal team in, well, ever.

They need a lot of work, but halfway through the season it's safe to say the bleeding from the past couple years has stopped and there is improvement. We're all tired of seeing this team lose and impatient for better results, but it is what it is. Probably better to relax and enjoy watching the players develop than complain about the state of the program. Fox is doing enough to keep his job for at least another year and we're just going to have to make the best of things and hope for better down the road.

From what I'm seeing, I do believe Fox has a foundation to build on and next year will be better. Team desperately needs either an influx of talent or massive improvement in the play of its current players.
LMK5
I can see losing games. What I have trouble with is how far off many of their mildy-contested shots are. UCLA is very similar. My answer to all this is to support the ladies.
BeachedBear
Uthaithani said:

Young team, this is what happens. It'll be up-and-down like this all season. More downs than ups, but even through all that I can see this Cal team is fundamentally playing a lot better than the past couple years. And doing it with far less talent than I've seen on a Cal team in, well, ever.

They need a lot of work, but halfway through the season it's safe to say the bleeding from the past couple years has stopped and there is improvement. We're all tired of seeing this team lose and impatient for better results, but it is what it is. Probably better to relax and enjoy watching the players develop than complain about the state of the program. Fox is doing enough to keep his job for at least another year and we're just going to have to make the best of things and hope for better down the road.

From what I'm seeing, I do believe Fox has a foundation to build on and next year will be better. Team desperately needs either an influx of talent or massive improvement in the play of its current players.
Good Post
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.