Story Poster
Photo by YouTube / Celtics Brasil
Cal Basketball

Former Cal Star Jaylen Brown Earns Eastern Conference Player of the Week

February 4, 2020

Former Cal basketball star Jaylen Brown continues to impress in his young NBA career with the Boston Celtics, earning the most recent NBA Eastern Conference Player of the Week award. The 2016 #3 overall pick earned the recognition scoring 25 points per game on 53% shooting from the floor and 6.3 rebounds per game.

Earlier this year, Brown gained significant media exposure by dunking on NBA legend Lebron James in their victory over the Los Angeles Lakers in January.

https://youtu.be/YJLg9Lor-rI?t=9

This season, Brown has averaged an impressive 20.4 points, 6.6 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game. In his single year at Cal in 2015-16, Brown averaged 14.6 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game. 

Brown was one of the most highly-touted signees in Cal basketball history. He was a 5 star recruit, averaging 28 points and 12 rebounds, earning USA Today and Gatorade Georgia Player of the Year, leading his Wheeler High squad to the state champtionship.

Discussion from...

Former Cal Star Jaylen Brown Earns Eastern Conference Player of the Week

7,016 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dimitrig
GoBears89
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Pretty good company....
75bear
Perhaps Jaylen's All Star snub fueled his recent step up in play.
bearister
Well, at least it is an NBA thread involving a Pac 12 player:

James Harden recorded his 42nd career 40-point double-double last night, the second-most since the 1976 NBA-ABA merger.

Question: Who is the only player with more?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
dimitrig
bearister said:

James Harden recorded his 42nd career 40-point double-double last night, the second-most since the 1976 NBA-ABA merger.

In order of most likely to least in my mind:

Moses Malone
Larry Bird
Shaq O'Neal
Michael Jordan
David Robinson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Allen Iverson
Kobe Bryant

Edit: Kevin Durant, Lebron James, and Karl Malone would also be potential candidates
Ted Bear
bearister said:

There are players who play for stats and players who play to win. Harden is the former.
bearister
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Moses Malone
Larry Bird
Shaq O'Neal
Michael Jordan
David Robinson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Allen Iverson
Kobe Bryant

Edit: Kevin Durant, Lebron James, and Karl Malone would also be potential candidates

Shaq did it 43 times.
SFCityBear
Why limit it to players who played after the merger?

Wilt Chamberlain had 250 40-point double-doubles in his career (from sports-reference.com, by my count)

In 1959, in his very first NBA game, Wilt had a 40-point double-double, with 43 points and 28 rebounds.

In only his third NBA game, he had another one, and this time it was 41 points and 40 rebounds.

He would go on to have 27 40-point double-doubles that season.

In 1962, he would record 61 40-point double-doubles for that one season.

He had at least a double-double in almost every game he played.

In 1967, he decided to pass the ball more, and he announced to the press before the 1968 season that he would lead the NBA in assists (which he did). That season he had 32 triple doubles, and 49 more double-doubles in an 82 game season.

Wilt had focused more on defense, rebounding and passing in his last few years, but he did have an occasional high scoring game, In his later career, he had four 40-point triple doubles that I could find..

In college, at Kansas, he averaged 29.9 points and 18.3 rebounds per game over two seasons. I could find no box scores for his games in college, except for the 1957 NCAA tournament, where Wilt played four games, and had four double-doubles, including three 30-point double-doubles.

Modern record books also record defensive statistics, like steals and blocked shots, and if that had been the case in Wilt's day, Wilt would have been able to record a lot more triple doubles and many quadruple doubles, since he was a terrific shot blocker, often getting 10 blocks in many games and over 20 blocks in some games.

south bender
Wilt was a really exceptional athlete, as SFCB shows in his post.

I remember learning, back then, that Wilt challenged the vaunted Jimmy Brown, while Brown was dominating in the NFL, to a 100 yard dash.

Brown wisely elected not to accept the challenge.
bearister
south bender said:

Wilt was a really exceptional athlete, as SFCB shows in his post.

I remember learning, back then, that Wilt challenged the vaunted Jimmy Brown, while Brown was dominating in the NFL, to a 100 yard dash.

Brown wisely elected not to accept the challenge.

I read somewhere that Wilt could have been a Gold Medalist decathlete but for one event: the pole vault. He was lousy at it.
bearister
"The average NBA franchise is now valued at $2.12 billion, per Forbes a figure that has grown 476% in the past decade.

Why it matters: Thanks to the NBA's international growth and the $24 billion TV deal it signed with ESPN and Turner in 2014, team values have grown at a much faster rate than the other three major U.S. sports leagues.

NBA: 476% growth
MLB: 262% growth
NHL: 192% growth
NFL: 179% growth
Most valuable teams: The Knicks ($4.6 billion) grabbed the top spot for the fifth straight year, followed by the Lakers ($4.4 billion) and Warriors ($4.3 billion). Among all American sports, only the Cowboys ($5.5 billion) and Yankees ($4.6 billion) can rival them.

Filling out the top 10: Bulls ($3.2 billion), Celtics ($3.1 billion), Clippers ($2.6 billion), Nets ($2.5 billion), Rockets ($2.48 billion), Mavericks ($2.4 billion) and Raptors ($2.1 billion).
The bottom five: Only five teams are valued at less than $1.5 billion: Pistons ($1.45 billion), Magic ($1.43 billion), Timberwolves ($1.38 billion), Pelicans ($1.4 billion) and Grizzlies ($1.3 billion)." Axios
bearister
DALLAS 20-year-old Luka Doni (33-12-8) recorded his 28th career 30-point game in the Mavericks' 130-111 win over the Kings, tying Kevin Durant for the second-most 30-point games before turning 21. Only LeBron (59) had more.

DENVER LeBron James (32-14-12) became the fourth player in Lakers history to record 20 triple-doubles with the team, joining Magic Johnson, Elgin Baylor and Kobe Bryant. He also picked up his 12th triple-double in his 17th season or later, three more than all other players combined. Final: Lakers 120, Nuggets 116. Axios
HearstMining
bearister said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Moses Malone
Larry Bird
Shaq O'Neal
Michael Jordan
David Robinson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Allen Iverson
Kobe Bryant

Shaq did it 43 times.
I just took a quick look at career stats and from 82-83 to 90-91, Magic averaged a double-double. And he just missed it in 81-82 with ONLY 9.5 assists per game.
dimitrig
HearstMining said:

bearister said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Moses Malone
Larry Bird
Shaq O'Neal
Michael Jordan
David Robinson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Allen Iverson
Kobe Bryant

Shaq did it 43 times.
I just took a quick look at career stats and from 82-83 to 90-91, Magic averaged a double-double. And he just missed it in 81-82 with ONLY 9.5 assists per game.

Yes, but he did not have many 40 point games.
HearstMining
dimitrig said:

HearstMining said:

bearister said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Moses Malone
Larry Bird
Shaq O'Neal
Michael Jordan
David Robinson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Allen Iverson
Kobe Bryant

Shaq did it 43 times.

Yes, but he did not have many 40 point games.

True, but the 42 points he scored in Game 6 (1980) against the Dr.J-led 76ers is much more memorable than anything Harden has done. And I'm not a Magic/Lakers lover or a Harden disliker ("hater" is a juvenile term). Magic was one of those guys who could make others as well as himself look good. And yes, he palmed the ball.
bearister
The Buck's Pat Connaughton will be competing in the Slam Dunk Contest this year. He is also a real estate developer and was drafted by the Orioles in 2014....Oh, and has a 44 inch vertical leap.

Through 10 NBA games, Zion Williamson is averaging 22.1 points and 7.5 rebounds (while playing just 27.4 minutes per game).

Question: Who was the last player to average that many points and rebounds over his first 10 NBA games?
dimitrig
bearister said:

Through 10 NBA games, Zion Williamson is averaging 22.1 points and 7.5 rebounds (while playing just 27.4 minutes per game).

Question: Who was the last player to average that many points and rebounds over his first 10 NBA games?

I am going with Karl-Anthony Towns. If not him then Blake Griffin or Tim Duncan.
bearister
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

I am going with Karl-Anthony Towns. If not him then Blake Griffin or Tim Duncan.

Shaq, 23.8 points; 15.8 rebounds.
dimitrig
bearister said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Shaq, 23.8 points; 15.8 rebounds.

Figured Shaq did it, but surprised no one did since - especially Duncan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.