Well wouldn't THAT be interesting

2,710 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by stu
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There may be a move afoot to allow Winter sport (aka Baskeball) players to petition for another year. Not sure whether that hurts (Cause you would have to think Tinkle is coming back) or helps (Paris - lets get that Grad degree!!!). A bit of bright light and hope in an otherwise bleak day.

Stay safe and go bears.
Take care of your Chicken
oskidunker
You have offered scholarships to incoming freshmen. Unless they increase the scholarship and roster limits it could be problematic. Plus Cal would have to fund more scholarships.

My opinion is don't do this. Only 32 teams would advance beyond the first round. 120 teams don't even make it.

Many athletes would not want to return. Some are not eligible as they stopped going to class.

As far as Cal, maybe Austin if he wants to return. No one else. We would be at a disadvantage to most other pac 12 teams.

Its over. Lets move on. We need better players.
SFCityBear
I don't understand the original post. Why would players be given another year? By what right? Basketball is a fall-winter and a little bit of spring sport, while football is a fall and a little bit of winter sport.

Players already have been given an extra year, back when they increased varsity eligibility from 3 years to 4. Now we want to go to 5?

I would like to see the scholarship limit increased to 17 or 18, at least. Many more players suffer injuries now, and one injury to a key rotation player can wreck a team's entire season, so teams need to be able to recruit for good depth. Programs will fund more scholarships, and stockpile players, which will encourage more athletes to choose to concentrate on basketball earlier with a better chance of getting a scholarship. Right now, there are not enough good recruits available to stock more than a handful of programs. In the 2009 class top 100, there were 38 recruits who did not have a good first season for the school to which they committed, and of those 38 players, 21 did not have a good season for any school during their 4 years of eligibility. With only maybe 60 recruits being worth signing and 350 programs chasing them, a school like Cal has little chance to get more than one or two a year, and just that will not guarantee continued team success.

The stockpiled players would get several years to improve and maybe help their teams. In the 1950s and 1960s, Cal had JV teams where players could get experience and hone their skills. Bob Dalton, a mostly unheard of JV player, made the jump from JV to start on Cal's NCAA Championship team, and was the team's best man defender, shutting down Oscar Robertson and Jerry West on consecutive nights. I realize resurrecting JV basketball is a pipe dream, but I still think teams need more good players, and the prize of winning a scholarship might get more athletes interested in basketball, and get more good players onto more rosters.
oskidunker
Do you want Austin back, if possible?
BC Calfan
F yeah I do!
oskidunker
Sf city, not you.
Chabbear
This is for Spring Sports: https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-13/ncaa-grants-spring-sports-athletes-year-eligibility-coronavirus

Division I Spring Sports

Intuit
The seniors from the winter sports that didn't get to complete their season should look as "the cup is half full, not half empty" Complaining about their situation reeks of selfishness, insensitivity and distain for the public welfare.

The reality is that their sport has been awfully good to them during their past four years of eligibility. They have had the opportunity to attend college and get a degree without incurring the cost or debt that others are saddled with.

They should not complain about being denied the opportunity to finish their season and should be thankful for what they got from their sport and university of choice.
Bobodeluxe
Intuit said:

The seniors from the winter sports that didn't get to complete their season should look as "the cup is half full, not half empty" Complaining about their situation reeks of selfishness, insensitivity and distain for the public welfare.

The reality is that their sport has been awfully good to them during their past four years of eligibility. They have had the opportunity to attend college and get a degree without incurring the cost or debt that others are saddled with.

They should not complain about being denied the opportunity to finish their season and should be thankful for what they got from their sport and university of choice.
Plus, if they graduate, and they are good enough, they can leverage this situation into grad school. Win, win.
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

Sf city, not you.
If the rules are changed, then by all means, Cal must take advantage of them, especially if Fox fails to sign a freshman or grad transfer point guard who can contribute right away, and Austin is willing to come back for another year, then welcome him back. And if Fox fails to sign a shooting guard or a wing who can contribute right away, and South is willing to come back for another year, then welcome him back, too. All hands on deck, I say. Since this is not likely to happen, I hope Fox can sign good recruits or transfers. PG, SF, and C are the main needs, IMO.
socaltownie
The possibility of this extending to men's basketball was, I believe, reported in espn.
Take care of your Chicken
oskidunker
Is South in a 2 year Grad program?
BearGreg
Staff
Intuit said:

I wonder if it's possible to be hugely disappointed and share that personal grief while at the same time recognizing the greater societal good and being grateful for all that they've had.

I'm certainly not going to tell my daughter not to be disappointed in the fact that she likely will not have a Senior Prom or walk across the stage for HS graduation. She gets the bigger picture but is still a human being who had looked forward to those events for many years.
UrsaMajor
I doubt VERY strongly this would apply to basketball. Cal players realistically missed out on 1 game (maybe 2). For that you give them another year? Spring sports are an entirely different matter.
HoopDreams
UrsaMajor said:

I doubt VERY strongly this would apply to basketball. Cal players realistically missed out on 1 game (maybe 2). For that you give them another year? Spring sports are an entirely different matter.
and stanford players missed out on zero games!
UrsaMajor
Question: would those granted an extra year who have graduated (obviously this doesn't apply to Kentucky, Oregon, Arizona, etc.) have to enroll in grad school or would they be athletes only?
stu
UrsaMajor said:

Question: would those granted an extra year who have graduated (obviously this doesn't apply to Kentucky, Oregon, Arizona, etc.) have to enroll in grad school or would they be athletes only?
They could just claim the closures forced them to repeat their spring classes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.