Some Potential Grad Transfers

8,695 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bluesaxe
NathanAllen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I have no knowledge of who Fox might be looking at for grad transfers or if he's even looking at grad transfers (but it's likely he is). But here are some intriguing options:

Guards

Tahj Eaddy, G (6'2, 165)
15.0 PPG, 3.2 APG, 2.7 RPG, 38% 3PT in 2018-19 at Santa Clara

Brendan Barry, G, (6'2, 180)
13.2 PPG, 3.2 APG, 3.2 RPG, 1.2 SPG, 44.5% from 3PT at Dartmouth

Balint Mocsan, G (6'3, 190)
11.3 PPG, 2.1 RPG, 2.1 APG on 43% 3PT at Idaho State

Forwards

Patrick Tape, PF (6'10, 232)
11.3 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.3 bpg, and 66% FG in 22.7 MPG at Columbia

Kevin Marfo, F (6'8, 245)
10.2 PPG, 13.3 RPG, 1.2 BPG at Quinnipiac

E.J. Anisoke, F (6'6, 245)
15.7 PPG, 11.6 RPG at Sacred Heart
wvitbear
He should be familiar with Tahj since we played Santa Clara.
oskidunker
Didnt Austin come from Idaho State?
Chunger89
Paris was from Boise St.

We should also consider Mike Smith, PG from Columbia
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4066806/mike-smith
Eastern Oregon Bear
wvitbear said:

That's probably not going to be in Tahj's favor. Against Cal, 13 minutes played, 0-3 from the field, 1 rebound, 0 assists, 1 turnover, 2 fouls, 0 points.
NathanAllen
Staff
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

wvitbear said:

That's probably not going to be in Tahj's favor. Against Cal, 13 minutes played, 0-3 from the field, 1 rebound, 0 assists, 1 turnover, 2 fouls, 0 points.
Tahj seems like the most unlikely to me unless he wants a UC Berkeley grad degree. Or just really loves the Bay Area. But he fills a need and should be familiar with the program so I listed him.
helltopay1
according to a mod( bear greg) info concerning JHD is on the premium site. can someone please post that info here as I am not a premium member??thank you..
KenBurnski
helltopay1 said:

according to a mod( bear greg) info concerning JHD is on the premium site. can someone please post that info here as I am not a premium member??thank you..

The "P" next to your username suggests that you're indeed a Premium subscriber. Have you tried accessing the Haas Pavilion?
UrsaMajor
helltopay1 said:

The whole idea of premium is that the content there is for subscribers only.
tequila4kapp
South averaged @ 14ppg his senior year and was a 3 year contributor. He struggled moving up to Pac12 level of play. I'm not sure any of these guys are going to make a difference. Maybe it would be better to hold the scholarship, develop young guys next year then use the scholly on a worthy prospect in 2021.
tequila4kapp
helltopay1 said:

Seems like a pretty easy guess.
HoopDreams
wvitbear said:

against Cal, Tahj played 13 minutes, shot 0-3, 1 rebound, 1 TO and 2 fouls
calumnus
tequila4kapp said:

South averaged @ 14ppg his senior year and was a 3 year contributor. He struggled moving up to Pac12 level of play. I'm not sure any of these guys are going to make a difference. Maybe it would be better to hold the scholarship, develop young guys next year then use the scholly on a worthy prospect in 2021.

The advantage of grad transfers is you would get the scholarship back for that 2021 prospect anyway. Might as well take a couple grad transfer for 2020 on the chance you get a quality player. We need a PG and anyone who can reliably knock down 3 point shots. South was a good bet, just didn't work out. Doesn't mean the next one won't.
Civil Bear
tequila4kapp said:

2020 Grad Transfer schollies opening up in 2021 aside, are you suggesting South didn't at least provide much needed depth this year? I hate think how Cal would have faired if they had instead chose to just let the scholly remain open.
NathanAllen
Staff
Civil Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

2020 Grad Transfer schollies opening up in 2021 aside, are you suggesting South didn't at least provide much needed depth this year? I hate think how Cal would have faired if they had instead chose to just let the scholly remain open.
I agree with this. The risk from the get-go with South (and any grad transfer from a mid-major) is if they can compete at the higher Power Conference level. It works out beautifully at times. And while South wasn't as productive or efficient in Pac-12 play, I also hate to think of what last season would've been like without him.
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

tequila4kapp said:

The advantage of grad transfers is you would get the scholarship back for that 2021 prospect anyway. Might as well take a couple grad transfer for 2020 on the chance you get a quality player. We need a PG and anyone who can reliably knock down 3 point shots. South was a good bet, just didn't work out. Doesn't mean the next one won't.
I'd take another Grant Mullins any day of the week. He could make threes, play point if needed, play good defense, and maybe more important, he made very few errors. Mark Lyons was a very good grad transfer for a year at Arizona, who could knock down threes and play some point guard. TJ McConnell, another Arizona transfer snagged by Sean Miller, was even better, like terrific, actually. But he was not a grad transfer, transferring in after 2 years, and had to sit out one year, before playing two at Arizona. I'd take one like him in a microsecond.
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

tequila4kapp said:

I'd take another Grant Mullins any day of the week. He could make threes, play point if needed, play good defense, and maybe more important, he made very few errors. Mark Lyons was a very good grad transfer for a year at Arizona, who could knock down threes and play some point guard. TJ McConnell, another Arizona transfer snagged by Sean Miller, was even better, like terrific, actually. But he was not a grad transfer, transferring in after 2 years, and had to sit out one year, before playing two at Arizona. I'd take one like him in a microsecond.

Much better to use the scholarship on a grad transfer than a freshman (or 3 year player) who is a stretch and will use a scholarship from the bench for multiple years. Even worse than that is a coach running off players from the team that he shouldn't have offered in the first place.
Intuit
"Much better to use the scholarship on a grad transfer than a freshman (or 3 year player) who is a stretch and will use a scholarship from the bench for multiple years. Even worse than that is a coach running off players from the team that he shouldn't have offered in the first place."

What a passive aggressive negative statement. You are intimating that your worried that Cal's coach is liable to screw up and recruit an unqualified guy if he signs a freshman or juco. Why don't you sit back and give Mark Fox's player evaluation abilities credit?

Four out of the Five he brought in last year as freshman proved worthy and materially contributed to Cal's PAC-12 improvement. He diserves your confidence. He is a veteran coach with an very experienced and skilled staff. They will evaluate and process all the candidates or prospective recruits. They will sign which ever freshman, juco or transfer are available to California that have the talent to accelerate the recovery of the basketball program

HearstMining
Intuit said:

"Much better to use the scholarship on a grad transfer than a freshman (or 3 year player) who is a stretch and will use a scholarship from the bench for multiple years. Even worse than that is a coach running off players from the team that he shouldn't have offered in the first place."

What a passive aggressive negative statement. You are intimating that your worried that Cal's coach is liable to screw up and recruit an unqualified guy if he signs a freshman or juco. Why don't you sit back and give Mark Fox's player evaluation abilities credit?

Four out of the Five he brought in last year as freshman proved worthy and materially contributed to Cal's PAC-12 improvement. He diserves your confidence. He is a veteran coach with an very experienced and skilled staff. They will evaluate and process all the candidates or prospective recruits. They will sign which ever freshman, juco or transfer are available to California that have the talent to accelerate the recovery of the basketball program

No, the statement isn't accusing or implying anything about Fox. It was just a reference to the Cuanzo/Wyking regimes, where this did in fact happen. Fox certainly hasn't run anybody off and, as you say, had fairly good results with the 2019 class given the situation.
NathanAllen
Staff
Another one that would be interesting.

calumnus
HearstMining said:

Intuit said:

No, the statement isn't accusing or implying anything about Fox. It was just a reference to the Cuanzo/Wyking regimes, where this did in fact happen. Fox certainly hasn't run anybody off and, as you say, had fairly good results with the 2019 class given the situation.

Exactly, it was in no way a "backhanded insult" of Fox (Wyking, yes). I was just my stating general principles ("It is not the guys you miss....") and my opinion. Braun, Monty, Cuonzo and Wyking all offered guys that were stretches ended up on the bench 4 years or were forced out to avoid that. I really hated seeing the latter, which is a main reason why I did not have sympathy for Wyking (besides his making $millions). If Monty can make that mistake, any coach can, right? We have grad transfers now and my opinion is grad transfers are preferable to stretch high school players, but it is definitely Fox and his staff that will assess the player's ability and how much of a stretch they really are. I thought Fox's strategy of going with grad and international players in trying to field a team this past year was a good one. I thought South in particular was a savvy pick-up, even if it didn't work out as hoped.

Again, my opinion is since the JC PG is in the same class as Brown, I would only take him if I thought there was a good chance he might be better than Brown, otherwise I'd go for a grad PG and recruit the best PG I can get next year. However, I have no idea if the first is true, that would be Fox's call, even assuming he would agree with my opinion if he knew it. He is the one paid $millions to make these calls and he will make them.
TheSouseFamily
Big numbers this year.

NathanAllen
Staff
TheSouseFamily said:

Big numbers this year.

That's pretty fascinating considering the impact of COVID. There are likely many coaches that got to keep their jobs another year because of the weird ending to the season and travel restrictions, which would make me think the transfer numbers would be lower. Loosening NCAA regulations around transfers are likely playing a role.
TheSouseFamily
It would be interesting to see how that breaks down between grad transfers and sit-out transfers. Seems like a lot of grad transfers at smaller schools see the opportunity to play for a P5 team and really elevate your visibility. If someone is a 10 point scorer for a small school, they're getting looks from big time programs. Makes sense from the player's standpoint.
HoopDreams
TheSouseFamily said:

Big numbers this year.

wait until NCAA lifts the transfer sit out year restrictions!

calumnus
TheSouseFamily said:

It would be interesting to see how that breaks down between grad transfers and sit-out transfers. Seems like a lot of grad transfers at smaller schools see the opportunity to play for a P5 team and really elevate your visibility. If someone is a 10 point scorer for a small school, they're getting looks from big time programs. Makes sense from the player's standpoint.

Yes, you'd think almost every player with decent stats at a small school will enter their name in the portal just to see who is interested. If they are a key player their coach will gladly take them back if they don't get interest or decide to stay.
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Yes, you'd think almost every player with decent stats at a small school will enter their name in the portal just to see who is interested. If they are a key player their coach will gladly take them back if they don't get interest or decide to stay.
And there will be tons of poaching

Why even recruit HS players who mostly are unknown qualities?

Sign college freshmen and sophomores that you have seen play at the D1 level and they will have instant eligibility. Plus under the proposed new transfer rules, second time transfers have to sit a year.

So if you sign a college freshmen transfer your more likely to keep him compared to a HS player
Civil Bear
HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Sign college freshmen and sophomores that you have seen play at the D1 level and they will have instant eligibility. Plus under the proposed new transfer rules, second time transfers have to sit a year.

So if you sign a college freshmen transfer your more likely to keep him compared to a HS player

Excellent point. The mid-majors would become like a farm system for the p5 conferences.
SFCityBear
Civil Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Excellent point. The mid-majors would become like a farm system for the p5 conferences.
Excellent point yourself!
Yogi02
UrsaMajor said:

helltopay1 said:

The whole idea of premium is that the content there is for subscribers only.
The whole idea of premium is that the content is worth the money, which is why I don't bother.
calumnus
Civil Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

TheSouseFamily said:

But that is pretty much where we are, so best to adapt to the new reality than cling to an outdated model that we were not very good at anyway.
BC Calfan
Very surprised at how much attention these grad transfers are getting from the high-majors. Like Tahj Eaddy from Santa Clara is going to USC but had interest from a bunch of other top tier programs. He averaged 9 ppg last year (15 as a junior which is impressive). But, expect those #s to get split in half when translating to Pac-12. There's a ton of other examples out there, players from Quinnipiac, St. Francis, Sacred Heart, Radford, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to land some for Cal but The Bluebloods are going hard after these guys, most of whom probably won't start for them.
Civil Bear
BC Calfan said:

Very surprised at how much attention these grad transfers are getting from the high-majors. Like Tahj Eaddy from Santa Clara is going to USC but had interest from a bunch of other top tier programs. He averaged 9 ppg last year (15 as a junior which is impressive). But, expect those #s to get split in half when translating to Pac-12. There's a ton of other examples out there, players from Quinnipiac, St. Francis, Sacred Heart, Radford, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to land some for Cal but The Bluebloods are going hard after these guys, most of whom probably won't start for them.
With the way the transfer portal is what it is, the Bluebloods need to fill out their rosters too.
TheSouseFamily
I wondered in a comment above how the number of transfers broke down between sit-out transfers and grad transfers. Appears that Jeff Goodman is tracking that and of the 525 transfers in the portal, 115 of them are grad transfers.

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2019-20-midseason-transfer-list-10-31-2019/

Here's the P12 list as of now. None are really impact players.

PAC-12

Devonaire Doutrive, 6-5, 180, G, Soph., Arizona (6.3 ppg 3 games) BOISE STATE

Jacobi Gordon, 6-7, 215, F, Fr., California (2.2 ppg 12 games)

Jakub Dombrek, 6-11, 190, F, Fr., Colorado (0.8 ppg)

Daylen Kountz, 6-4, 185, G, Soph., Colorado (3.0 ppg)

Kodye Pugh, 6-8, 205, F, Jr., Stanford

Isaac White, 6-1, 185, G, Grad, Stanford (4.2 ppg) CAL BAPTIST

Shareef O'Neal, 6-9, 220, F, RS Fr., UCLA (2.2 ppg 13 games) LSU

Charles O'Bannon Jr., 6-6, 220, SG, Soph., USC (0.7 ppg 3 games) TCU

Kyle Sturdivant, 6-3, 200, G, Fr., USC (2.0 ppg)

Matthew Van Komen, 7-4, 240, C, Fr., Utah (1.7 ppg 9 games)
oskidunker
How many will pick a school without the ability for a visit. And will this hurt or help us?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.