PAC-12 Comings and Goings

9,611 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 59bear
TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Solid pick up for Oregon. Averaged 14.5 points/game last year for UNLV.

HoopDreams
as expected:

Washington freshman swingman Jaden McDaniels has declared for the NBA draft, becoming the latest one-and-done player for the Huskies.

McDaniels, who is projected to go in the middle of the first round, announced his decision on social media late Tuesday night.
IssyBear
HoopDreams said:

as expected:

Washington freshman swingman Jaden McDaniels has declared for the NBA draft, becoming the latest one-and-done player for the Huskies.

McDaniels, who is projected to go in the middle of the first round, announced his decision on social media late Tuesday night.

2nd Husky freshman (on a last place team) to jump. Hope the UW fans enjoyed their "contributions" to the school, even if it was for a very brief moment.
HoopDreams
AZ reloading

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29055274/top-international-prospect-kerr-kriisa-commits-arizona
Big C
IssyBear said:

HoopDreams said:

as expected:

2nd Husky freshman (on a last place team) to jump. Hope the UW fans enjoyed their "contributions" to the school, even if it was for a very brief moment.

Those two freshmen led the Huskies to SEVERAL conference victories! They even beat Cal once!
smh
> he will try and get a waiver to play immediately
good luck with that # covid

^^^ oops, lost where (or who) alleged quote came from.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
59bear
TheSouseFamily said:

BeachedBear said:

I think a lot of these draft entries are due to:

1. Why not give it a shot. They can come back to school if they don't get a good feel for their chances.
2. With the uncertainty around school and Covid, I'm sure that was the nudge that many of these guys needed. After all, most of these people are more focused on pro than college - to them it mostly a forced step for them endure.

Last year, there were 177 early entrants from US colleges or "other educational institutions." . Of those 89 withdrew from the draft and returned to school.
But 88 stayed in, probably 65-70 too many! Self-delusion is rampant!
HoopDreams
I was wondering about him ...

(from jon wilner's hotline)

Washington State wing CJ Elleby became the latest all-conference selection to enter the NBA Draft, albeit with the option to return to school if he doesn 't like the feedback. We're guessing he does, and he stays in, and the Cougars have to fill a huge void.

Also...

Meanwhile, the Ducks are losing a big man: Francis Okoro, who started 18 games, is expected to transfer.
HoopDreams
per Wilner:

Big loss for Arizona State as PF Romello White entered the NBA Draft AND transfer portal. "So he'll be somewhere next season, but probably not in Tempe."

and...

"If you were surprised Utah's Both Gach tossed his name into the draft pool, well, so did Timmy Allen. Both are considered fringe prospects."

also...

Oregon State guard Sean Miller-Moore is transferring out. He was a JC player so only has one year remaining. What's interesting is OSU oversigned their class with 5 incoming players, two over their schollie limit, so looks like Tinkle is making room for his incoming class at the expense of some of his current players.

HoopDreams
ASU loses White, after only a few days that people speculated that he (and their PG) will return

Although Martin is the much more important player for ASU, White was a tough, bouncy post player that swallowed up rebounds

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29179677/ole-miss-basketball-signs-arizona-state-graduate-transfer-romello-white

calumnus
59bear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

BeachedBear said:

I think a lot of these draft entries are due to:

1. Why not give it a shot. They can come back to school if they don't get a good feel for their chances.
2. With the uncertainty around school and Covid, I'm sure that was the nudge that many of these guys needed. After all, most of these people are more focused on pro than college - to them it mostly a forced step for them endure.

Last year, there were 177 early entrants from US colleges or "other educational institutions." . Of those 89 withdrew from the draft and returned to school.
But 88 stayed in, probably 65-70 too many! Self-delusion is rampant!

We don't know, they may have then gone on to a nice professional career in Europe, Australia even the D League. Hard to conclude anyone made the wrong decision unless we know their situation and what would have happened if they stayed in college.

Also, isn't it now the case you can go back to college if you do not hire an agent? Many may have declared early just to "test the waters" and get feedback.
bluesaxe
BC Calfan said:

oskidunker said:

Terry did not look that good against Cal. Hard to believe.
Yeah, head scratcher. Looks like he weighs like 170. Hard to see him playing against pros, at any level, with that frame right now.
The Ringer mock draft has him at No. 8. Seems crazy high to me. Hollinger thinks he could be a first rounder. NBADraft.net has him very early second round. He's a pure shooter, which is why he might stick in this draft.
HoopDreams
AZ continues the overseas pipeline going ... half their team are euros

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29229552/arizona-lands-international-basketball-prospect-azuolas-tubelis-twin-brother

SFCityBear
HoopDreams said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29229552/arizona-lands-international-basketball-prospect-azuolas-tubelis-twin-brother

How does a player get to play professionally and later be signed to play for an NCAA D1 school? I read in the ongoing Amit Tamir thread, that he did this many years ago, and lost a year plus 8 games of the following season before he was allowed to play.
BeachedBear
SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

How does a player get to play professionally and later be signed to play for an NCAA D1 school? I read in the ongoing Amit Tamir thread, that he did this many years ago, and lost a year plus 8 games of the following season before he was allowed to play.
Rules change. Amit Tamir played for Cal almost twenty years ago.

Also NCAA seems to have different rules for Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke & Louisville than for Central Michigan, Coastal Carolina, Cal and others
SFCityBear
BeachedBear said:

SFCityBear said:

HoopDreams said:

Rules change. Amit Tamir played for Cal almost twenty years ago.

Also NCAA seems to have different rules for Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke & Louisville than for Central Michigan, Coastal Carolina, Cal and others
Maybe the NCAA doesn't like our politics.
BC Calfan
I believe the argument is that he played pro but didn't get paid.

This is a huge get for AZ. He's one of the top young players in Europe. He's a solid 6'8 with strength, can shoot, drive---pretty much do it all. Should be first team all-conference next year.

Very interesting how Sean Miller has completely shifted his recruiting strategy in the past 6 months. Half his team is foreign now. In addition to the Lithuanian brothers, he's bringing in an Estonian, French and Turkish player. A knee-jerk reaction to top recruiting classes not panning out perhaps.
BC Calfan
This is just astonishing to me. Tyrell Terry as the 8th best overall draft prospect. I saw him play multiple times and he never made a strong impression. This is one of the weakest draft classes in recent memory but still.

The Ringer: 2020 NBA Draft Big Board
bearchamp
Maybe Miller is in Europe because less scrutiny and less availability of obtain evidence of NCAA violations.
oskidunker
Jacobi Gordon now at Louisiana Lafayette .Hope he does well there. Always thought he had a lot of potential.
Go Bears!
BeachedBear
BC Calfan said:

This is a huge get for AZ. He's one of the top young players in Europe. He's a solid 6'8 with strength, can shoot, drive---pretty much do it all. Should be first team all-conference next year.

Very interesting how Sean Miller has completely shifted his recruiting strategy in the past 6 months. Half his team is foreign now. In addition to the Lithuanian brothers, he's bringing in an Estonian, French and Turkish player. A knee-jerk reaction to top recruiting classes not panning out perhaps.
Much harder for Feds to track Nike's payments outside of US.
59bear
BC Calfan said:

A repudiation of "1/done" approach? It has been evident in recent years that only Duke and, to a lesser degree, Kentuck, can be successful with a frosh dominant roster. These foreign borns may still be 1 year "rentals" but perhaps less likely than US blue chips. I just wish the NBA would pull the roadblocks from HS to the league and deliver us from the "1/done" dilemma.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.