Malik Zachery down to final five

2,012 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calumnus
NathanAllen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
He didn't want to name his five when I spoke with him a couple of weeks ago but apparently has narrowed his list now to: Cal, Ole Miss, Fresno State, Southern Illinois, and Buffalo.

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/jc-point-guard-considering-cal
oskidunker
I wont lose any sleep if he goes to Southern Illinois.
NathanAllen
Staff
oskidunker said:

Southern Illinois has actually had a solid hoops program over the years (although not recently). The Salukies have been the launchpad for Matt Painter and Bruce Weber.
SFCityBear
NathanAllen said:

oskidunker said:

Southern Illinois has actually had a solid hoops program over the years (although not recently). The Salukies have been the launchpad for Matt Painter and Bruce Weber
Not to mention Hall of Famer Walt "Clyde" Frazier. I wonder if Clyde is involved in his recruiting?
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

NathanAllen said:

oskidunker said:

Southern Illinois has actually had a solid hoops program over the years (although not recently). The Salukies have been the launchpad for Matt Painter and Bruce Weber
Not to mention Hall of Famer Walt "Clyde" Frazier. I wonder if Clyde is involved in his recruiting?

Unless he is on the coaching staff, it would be an NCAA violation if he is.
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

NathanAllen said:

oskidunker said:

Is that because of who he is, or is it a violation for anyone to talk with a player to recommend a school for him except for the coaching staff of that school?
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

NathanAllen said:

oskidunker said:

Is that because of who he is, or is it a violation for anyone to talk with a player to recommend a school for him except for the coaching staff of that school?

It is a violation for anyone connected to the school who is not on the staff (or who has a previous/family relationship with the recruit) to be involved in his recruiting, though of course Cal has been investigated for people being involved with no connection to the school. When it is a high profile alumnus it just draws more attention. It is definitely a selectively enforced rule, mostly enforced from either being self-reported or more often being reported by a rival coach.
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

NathanAllen said:

oskidunker said:

It is a violation for anyone connected to the school who is not on the staff (or who has a previous/family relationship with the recruit) to be involved in his recruiting, though of course Cal has been investigated for people being involved with no connection to the school. When it is a high profile alumnus it just draws more attention. It is definitely a selectively enforced rule, mostly enforced from either being self-reported or more often being reported by a rival coach.
Good to know. Thanks.
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

NathanAllen said:

oskidunker said:

Good to know. Thanks.

I should also say there was/is a big loophole for "journalists" I.e. mostly websites run by boosters/fans for fans who contact the recruits and ask homer questions (though in some markets that includes print and broadcast media too). A lot of recruits view this "attention" as getting "love" from the program itself. Plus the recruits get "asked" about negative things about other programs or how they feel about the competitor school getting a commit from another player at their position.

Of course, now that players can get paid for their likeness a whole new bigger can of worms has opened. Someone has to call to arrange that, right? A businessman in Alabama might call to let the recruit know how much he is willing to pay for his likeness if he signs with Alabama....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.