Amit Tamir

3,970 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calumnus
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Someone on the insider board mentioned Amit's coaching pursuits.

But is reminded me of how amazing this guy was for us, especially that game where he was so locked in versus Oregon and went Eddie House (I believe we won in OT). Does anyone have a link to a video?

He was a highly skilled stretch 4 during the days when that was starting to become a thing. I don't know why he seems to be kind of a forgotten man on our board.
bearister
Didn't find it but stumbled on this:

Amit Tamir Sports Section925

http://section925.com/sports/tag/Amit+Tamir
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
KoreAmBear
bearister said:

Didn't find in but stumbled on this:

Cool article.
tsubamoto2001
He had some great games and probably could have been better (or at least much more efficient) had he played with a decent PG during his career. Those early 2000's Braun teams were a wasted opportunity for the program to take that "next step" into being a top tier PAC-10 program.
KoreAmBear
bearister said:

Here's the Oregon write up from the that game.

https://www.dailyemerald.com/archives/uo-road-struggles-continue-vs-bears/article_59267463-63e5-5ac3-93a9-2b450fb0b584.html

107-103! Is that the most ever at Haas?
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

But is reminded me of how amazing this guy was for us, especially that game where he was so locked in versus Oregon and went Eddie House (I believe we won in OT). Does anyone have a link to a video?

He was a highly skilled stretch 4 during the days when that was starting to become a thing. I don't know why he seems to be kind of a forgotten man on our board.

IIRC, his senior season was not his best (forget if he was dinged up, or what). I always remember guys who have by far their best seasons as a senior, like Keith Smith, Jerome Randle, Shipp, Wethers, the late Mark McNamara, etc.
BGGB2
KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

https://www.dailyemerald.com/archives/uo-road-struggles-continue-vs-bears/article_59267463-63e5-5ac3-93a9-2b450fb0b584.html

Is it wrong to take offense at an article written 18 years ago? Author states that the win "revitalized a mediocre Cal team". What?! As the article itself notes, Cal's victory over the Ducks pushed their record to 8-4/17-5. The Bears eventually finished in a 4-way tie for 2nd place in the conference at 12-6. (Ducks won it at 14-4.) This qualifies as "mediocre"?

Anyways, I remember that game quite well. Oregon was a top 10 team that year, with three future NBA 1st round picks on the squad (Freddie Jones, Luke Ridnour, and Luke Jackson). Cal fell behind by something close to 20 points in the first half. The Bears came roaring back and took the lead early in the second half. The rest of the way, it was a tight game, with no one leading by more than three or four points. IIRC, Oregon had decent chances to win it at the end of regulation as well as the first OT, so there were heart-stopping moments a couple of times for Bears backers. It was one of the most thrilling victories I've experienced as a Cal hoops fan!

Funny thing is I don't remember Tamir going off in that game!
Civil Bear
Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

IIRC, his senior season was not his best (forget if he was dinged up, or what). I always remember guys who have by far their best seasons as a senior, like Keith Smith, Jerome Randle, Shipp, Wethers, the late Mark McNamara, etc.
I agree, but it was because he had a veteran team around him and a steady frosh pg his junior season. His senior season was made up of mostly frosh with Midgley moving over to the 2.
Civil Bear
BGGB2 said:

KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

Is it wrong to take offense at an article written 18 years ago? Author states that the win "revitalized a mediocre Cal team". What?! As the article itself notes, Cal's victory over the Ducks pushed their record to 8-4/17-5. The Bears eventually finished in a 4-way tie for 2nd place in the conference at 12-6. (Ducks won it at 14-4.) This qualifies as "mediocre"?

Anyways, I remember that game quite well. Oregon was a top 10 team that year, with three future NBA 1st round picks on the squad (Freddie Jones, Luke Ridnour, and Luke Jackson). Cal fell behind by something close to 20 points in the first half. The Bears came roaring back and took the lead early in the second half. The rest of the way, it was a tight game, with no one leading by more than three or four points. IIRC, Oregon had decent chances to win it at the end of regulation as well as the first OT, so there were heart-stopping moments a couple of times for Bears backers. It was one of the most thrilling victories I've experienced as a Cal hoops fan!

Funny thing is I don't remember Tamir going off in that game!
I hear ya'. I remember the energy and excitement from that game, but I can't recall a single basket. I also remember arriving late, which was rare, to see Cal already down big.
MSaviolives
I do remember Tamir going off in that game. I also remember it as one of those special, sold out, high energy games where the arena was just rocking and throbbing.

As for Tamir's senior season, I recall there being some scuttlebutt claiming that he lost his mojo because he had a girlfriend. (I have no idea about the truth to that rumor.)
bearister
MSaviolives said:

...As for Tamir's senior season, I recall there being some scuttlebutt claiming that he lost his mojo because he had a girlfriend. ...

SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

No, it is not the most ever at Haas. I believe that was the Arizona State win over Cal, 111-108, in 2000

Here are the highest scoring games at Haas I was able to find, including games at Harmon:

2000 Haas ASU 111, Cal 108, 2OT, 219 Total Points

2002 Haas Cal 107, Oregon 103, 2OT, 210 Total Points

1977 Harmon Cal 107, Oregon 102, 5OT, 209 Total Points (Most points at Harmon)

1976 Harmon Cal Cal 93, UCLA 113, 206 Total Points (Most Points in non-overtime game)

1990 Harmon Cal 97, UCLA 106, 203 Total Points

1968 Harmon Cal 103, San Jose State 98, 201 Total Points (First time teams totaled over 200 points)
SFCityBear
Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

Slight correction here: Tamir's last season at Cal, 2003-04 was his Junior season, not his Senior season. Tamir left the Cal team and declared for the 2004 NBA Draft, went undrafted, and played that summer for the Orlando Magic in the NBA Summer League, but did not make the team. He moved to Greece, where he played and also played in Europe, Cyprus, and for different teams in Israel in a good career.
SFCityBear
MSaviolives said:

I do remember Tamir going off in that game. I also remember it as one of those special, sold out, high energy games where the arena was just rocking and throbbing.

As for Tamir's senior season, I recall there being some scuttlebutt claiming that he lost his mojo because he had a girlfriend. (I have no idea about the truth to that rumor.)
Again, Tamir's last season at Cal was his junior season, after which he left Cal to enter the NBA Draft.

I will defend the girlfriend here, as my seat-mate, with whom I attended all Cal home games that season, tells a different story: He is close friends with the uncle of Tamir's then-girlfriend. Tamir had told him that he was not happy playing in that 2003-04 season, largely because Braun's offense was to have the ball go through Powe as much as possible. I don't know if there was friction with Braun or between him and Powe, but Tamir was not happy, and that may have contributed to his perhaps not having quite as good a year, and to his leaving the team early to turn professional.
MSaviolives
SFCityBear said:

MSaviolives said:

Again, Tamir's last season at Cal was his junior season, after which he left Cal to enter the NBA Draft.

I will defend the girlfriend here, as my seat-mate, with whom I attended all Cal home games that season, tells a different story: He is close friends with the uncle of Tamir's then-girlfriend. Tamir had told him that he was not happy playing in that 2003-04 season, largely because Braun's offense was to have the ball go through Powe as much as possible. I don't know if there was friction with Braun or between him and Powe, but Tamir was not happy, and that may have contributed to his perhaps not having quite as good a year, and to his leaving the team early to turn professional.
Well the girlfriend's uncle would plainly be biased if the true cause of Tamir's fall off was that she was sapping his energy. (Just kidding SFBear--I have no idea what was the cause.)
SFCityBear
MSaviolives said:

SFCityBear said:

MSaviolives said:

Well the girlfriend's uncle would plainly be biased if the true cause of Tamir's fall off was that she was sapping his energy. (Just kidding SFBear--I have no idea what was the cause.)
I once thought girlfriends were supposed to be inspirational. After too many years of experience, I find one can be inspirational and another one can bring one down to the depths of despair. I've had both. Sometimes a girlfriend can have plenty of both qualities in the same woman.
SFCityBear
bearister said:

MSaviolives said:

...As for Tamir's senior season, I recall there being some scuttlebutt claiming that he lost his mojo because he had a girlfriend. ...

Me too. Or I wish I had. When I think of what I could have accomplished without that damn essence always bugging me to be turned loose and set free.
MSaviolives
Big C
SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

Slight correction here: Tamir's last season at Cal, 2003-04 was his Junior season, not his Senior season. Tamir left the Cal team and declared for the 2004 NBA Draft, went undrafted, and played that summer for the Orlando Magic in the NBA Summer League, but did not make the team. He moved to Greece, where he played and also played in Europe, Cyprus, and for different teams in Israel in a good career.

Hmmm... I totally forgot that. No WONDER his senior season wasn't his best: He didn't hit a shot the whole year!

Anyway, from what I remember, his LAST season at Cal wasn't his best, though now maybe I ought to go research it. I'm thinking that Oregon game was his sophomore year?

I'm frantically trying to remember the back story on his leaving early. Now I do seem to remember that he and Powe sort of clashed, at least on the court. Hard to imagine him having a solid shot at the NBA. Maybe as a "poor man's Ryan Anderson".

This thread is an interesting look back...
Civil Bear
Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

Hmmm... I totally forgot that. No WONDER his senior season wasn't his best: He didn't hit a shot the whole year!

Anyway, from what I remember, his LAST season at Cal wasn't his best, though now maybe I ought to go research it. I'm thinking that Oregon game was his sophomore year?

I'm frantically trying to remember the back story on his leaving early. Now I do seem to remember that he and Powe sort of clashed, at least on the court. Hard to imagine him having a solid shot at the NBA. Maybe as a "poor man's Ryan Anderson".

I do recall reported friction between the upperclassmen and the special treatment of the incoming frosh. In the end, Braun lost control of that team, and it was the beginning of the end of an otherwise good career. I believe Braun also got married for the first time around that time.
Chapman_is_Gone
I wonder, over on the women's team boards, if they complain about players getting boyfriends and the resulting effect?!
SFCityBear
Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

You were right that his last season wasn't his best, which was the year before. It is also right that Tamir's 39 point game was against Oregon in Haas in 2002, his freshman year. In his freshman season, Cal had two other good big men on the roster in Jamal Sampson and Solomon Hughes, so he did not play a lot of minutes and did not have to shoulder most of the load in the frontcourt. In his sophomore season, 2003, Hughes had graduated and Sampson had left for the NBA, so Tamir had to play 34 minutes and shoulder a much bigger responsiblity, with only Gabe Hughes, and freshmen David Paris, and Rod Benson to back him up. He averaged 15 points, 6.5 rebounds (which led the team), and 3 assists. Wethers led the team with 94 assists, and Tamir had 93, while mostly playing center.

In his junior year, Tamir had to move to the perimeter, because freshman Powe was the much better inside player and Powe played center, or in the post. Tamir's minutes went down some, and McGuire and Benson got playing time, and Tamir's output decreased a little. It wasn't a bad year individually for him with 13 points and 5 rebounds, Midgley, Kately and Ubaka. Still the team did not seem to function very well together, and I never saw much chemistry between Tamir and Powe. That team had more high ranked recruits, players like Powe, Ubaka, Kately, and McGuire, finished 13-15, while the team of the previous year with less highly ranked recruits, namely Shipp, Wethers, Midgley, and Donte Smith, but finished much better at 22-9. Maybe playing ball at Cal wasn't as much fun for Tamir as it had been in his previous two seasons, and he left town. Just a guess.
Looperbear
KoreAmBear said:

bearister said:

I was at that game, fun night.
tsubamoto2001
From what I recall, Tamir entered as a sophomore with 3 seasons of eligibility due to his age. It was awhile back, obviously, but I don't remember him being an early entry guy...he simply ran out of eligibility. I could be wrong on this, but that's what I remember.

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

You were right that his last season wasn't his best, which was the year before. It is also right that Tamir's 39 point game was against Oregon in Haas in 2002, his freshman year. In his freshman season, Cal had two other good big men on the roster in Jamal Sampson and Solomon Hughes, so he did not play a lot of minutes and did not have to shoulder most of the load in the frontcourt. In his sophomore season, 2003, Hughes had graduated and Sampson had left for the NBA, so Tamir had to play 34 minutes and shoulder a much bigger responsiblity, with only Gabe Hughes, and freshmen David Paris, and Rod Benson to back him up. He averaged 15 points, 6.5 rebounds (which led the team), and 3 assists. Wethers led the team with 94 assists, and Tamir had 93, while mostly playing center.

In his junior year, Tamir had to move to the perimeter, because freshman Powe was the much better inside player and Powe played center, or in the post. Tamir's minutes went down some, and McGuire and Benson got playing time, and Tamir's output decreased a little. It wasn't a bad year individually for him with 13 points and 5 rebounds, Midgley, Kately and Ubaka. Still the team did not seem to function very well together, and I never saw much chemistry between Tamir and Powe. That team had more high ranked recruits, players like Powe, Ubaka, Kately, and McGuire, finished 13-15, while the team of the previous year with less highly ranked recruits, namely Shipp, Wethers, Midgley, and Donte Smith, but finished much better at 22-9. Maybe playing ball at Cal wasn't as much fun for Tamir as it had been in his previous two seasons, and he left town. Just a guess.
BeachedBear
tsubamoto2001 said:

From what I recall, Tamir entered as a sophomore with 3 seasons of eligibility due to his age. It was awhile back, obviously, but I don't remember him being an early entry guy...he simply ran out of eligibility. I could be wrong on this, but that's what I remember.

I also recall that he may have 'lost' a year of eligibility for playing on a semi-pro team in Israel.

smh
KoreAmBear said:

https://www.dailyemerald.com/archives/uo-road-struggles-continue-vs-bears/article_59267463-63e5-5ac3-93a9-2b450fb0b584.html ..
daily emerald lede..
>Two nights after a [-nother] tough overtime loss, the Oregon men's basketball team went to two overtimes, lost their second straight game..
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
SFCityBear
tsubamoto2001 said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

According to his Cal Bears Bio, Amit Tamir was named to the PAC10 All-Freshman team in 2002: Here is the link, 5th line from the top. I don't think he could have been named All-Freshman team if he was not in the freshman class.

https://calbears.com/news/2013/4/17/208187328.aspx
SFCityBear
BeachedBear said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

I also recall that he may have 'lost' a year of eligibility for playing on a semi-pro team in Israel.

Try this link to Tamir's bio. It says he made the PAC10 All-Freshman team in 2002. If you scroll down to 2001-02, it says that he missed the first 8 games of the season due to having played previously for a professional team in Israel.

So the bio says he made the All-Freshman team in 2002, and the 8 games he missed due to having played pro in Israel were the first 8 games that freshman season. I always thought that once you had played professionally, then you could not play for a college team. I may be wrong, In any case, with that baggage, Braun must have had to jump through some hoops to get Tamir admitted to Cal. I'm glad he did.
Civil Bear
SFCityBear said:

BeachedBear said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

Try this link to Tamir's bio. It says he made the PAC10 All-Freshman team in 2002. If you scroll down to 2001-02, it says that he missed the first 8 games of the season due to having played previously for a professional team in Israel.

So the bio says he made the All-Freshman team in 2002, and the 8 games he missed due to having played pro in Israel were the first 8 games that freshman season. I always thought that once you had played professionally, then you could not play for a college team. I may be wrong, In any case, with that baggage, Braun must have had to jump through some hoops to get Tamir admitted to Cal. I'm glad he did.
I believe the issue at the time was playing as an amateur on a team with pros. That restriction has since been relaxed.
SFCityBear
Civil Bear said:

SFCityBear said:

BeachedBear said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

I believe the issue at the time was playing as an amateur on a team with pros. That restriction has since been relaxed.
Thanks for this.
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

MSaviolives said:

Amit Tamir is Israeli and had 3 years of mandatory military service prior to his freshman year at Cal. He was almost declared completely ineligible by the NCAA for playing against professionals on the Israeli National Team. Instead it was deemed to have started his "clock." Thus Tamir was not eligible to play his senior year because he would be 25 years old on December 2, 2004. Note that the NCAA made only two exceptions for that rule: (voluntary) US military service and (voluntary) Mormon religious missions. Since then exemptions for time with US service organizations like Peace Corps or a study year abroad have been added, but not any service obligations for foreign nationals.

Now you might argue he could have taken on the NCAA if he was really happy at Cal and wanted to come back, but that is different.
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

MSaviolives said:

Amit Tamir is Israeli and had 3 years of mandatory military service prior to his freshman year at Cal. He was almost declared completely ineligible by the NCAA for playing against professionals on the Israeli National Team. Instead it was deemed to have started his "clock." Thus Tamir was not eligible to play his senior year because he would be 25 years old on December 2, 2004. Note that the NCAA made only two exceptions for that rule: (voluntary) US military service and (voluntary) Mormon religious missions. Since then exemptions for time with US service organizations like Peace Corps or a study year abroad have been added, but not any service obligations for foreign nationals.

Now you might argue he could have taken on the NCAA if he was really happy at Cal and wanted to come back, but that is different.
Thanks for this. It sure sounds very believable, and would finally clear up the reason why he left.

When did the rule that 25 year old players could not play in college come into being? Wasn't Bill McClintock 25, or was he 24, in his last year at Cal, 1960-61?
bearister
There is an age rule? I thought most BYU guys were cramming 40.
BeachedBear
bearister said:

There is a timing rule based on your high school graduating class. Not quite age based, but hard pressed to be eligible at 25 unless Mormon
calumnus
BeachedBear said:

bearister said:

There is a timing rule based on your high school graduating class. Not quite age based, but hard pressed to be eligible at 25 unless Mormon

The exceptions are for US military service or a Mormon mission. Now other US service like a Peace Corps as well. Other religions and service for other nations need not apply.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.