If you subscribe to the Athletic, read this if you haven't already.

3,021 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MSaviolives
bluesaxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jaylen Brown doing us proud

It's not about basketball, it's about leadership and activism, but I'll include one quote attributed to Hashim Ali, co-founder of the Oakland Soldiers:

"I'll never forget it," Ali said. "Jaylen said if I wanted to just play basketball, I would've went to Kentucky. I wanted an education, so I came to Cal."

calumnus
bluesaxe said:

Jaylen Brown doing us proud

It's not about basketball, it's about leadership and activism, but I'll include one quote attributed to Hashim Ali, co-founder of the Oakland Soldiers:

"I'll never forget it," Ali said. "Jaylen said if I wanted to just play basketball, I would've went to Kentucky. I wanted an education, so I came to Cal."

Great, great article! Thanks!
NVBear78
Would love to have that Quote blown up and on the wall in the Basketball Offices or Haas where recruits visit! It carrys over well to football too.
calumnus
NVBear78 said:

Would love to have that Quote blown up and on the wall in the Basketball Offices or Haas where recruits visit! It carrys over well to football too.

Agreed. This is the article to point to when people complain about Telegraph and why "Cal can't compete" for top recruits with Arizona, Kentucky...or USC, Alabama.... Jaylen Brown is a role model for many of his generation. Kids want to emulate him. Few young people want to be "just a basketball player." For the right recruit, there are no schools that can compete with Cal. None. Rather than run from our "brand" we should embrace it and then seek the top recruits who are receptive.
smh
bluesaxe said:

If you subscribe to the Athletic, read this if you haven't already.

link: Jaylen Brown doing us proud

not an athletic subscriber but the link popped thru anyways. thanks Blue's Axe

for no good reason nosey bear asks,, namesake below?

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
helltopay1
dearcalalum We've been doing what you advocate for ten decades. Stanford always gets the lions share of athletes with academic credentials. See recruiting every year in basketball, football and baseball. I do not see this changing...do you
HoopDreams
Thanks for posting blue

Must read
LateHit
"Would have went" as an endorsement of superior educational opportunity?
smh
MSaviolives
And great writing by Marcus Thompson.
calumnus
helltopay1 said:

dearcalalum We've been doing what you advocate for ten decades. Stanford always gets the lions share of athletes with academic credentials. See recruiting every year in basketball, football and baseball. I do not see this changing...do you

Read the article. Jaylen Brown could have gone anywhere but did not even consider Stanford.
philbert
Jaylen is a great representative of Cal.

But inquiring minds want to know if he prefers short or long shorts?
calumnus
philbert said:

Both at Cal and the Celtics he has worn short shorts but with leggings.
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

philbert said:

Both at Cal and the Celtics he has worn short shorts but with leggings.
not always

helltopay1
Dear cal alumnus .. Assuming he had the grades for Stanford, he did not have any personal connections to Stanford while he did have personal connections. Furthermore, if Cal was such a great academic choice, how come he left after only one year.. I'm thrilled he came here for one year, but guys like Brown are the exception which validate the rule.
calumnus
helltopay1 said:

Dear cal alumnus .. Assuming he had the grades for Stanford, he did not have any personal connections to Stanford while he did have personal connections. Furthermore, if Cal was such a great academic choice, how come he left after only one year.. I'm thrilled he came here for one year, but guys like Brown are the exception which validate the rule.

Dear Helltopay, From your responses I can only assume you did not read the article. Read the article.
HearstMining
calumnus said:

NVBear78 said:

Agreed. This is the article to point to when people complain about Telegraph and why "Cal can't compete" for top recruits with Arizona, Kentucky...or USC, Alabama.... Jaylen Brown is a role model for many of his generation. Kids want to emulate him. Few young people want to be "just a basketball player." For the right recruit, there are no schools that can compete with Cal. None. Rather than run from our "brand" we should embrace it and then seek the top recruits who are receptive.

"Embrace your brand" sounds easy, but Cal needs to walk the walk, as well. Why do we lose head-to-head recruiting battles to Stanford?

Stanford can pitch the fact that they have a system designed to get all accepted students (including athletes) to graduation. You have to work, but everything will be in place to make you successful. At the end of this, you may or may not have a pro career, but you'll definitely have a Stanford degree with all the associated connections (positions with high tech, internships with VCs, etc)

At Cal, the pitch is more like: if you get accepted, then you get to compete your a$$ off for four years to graduate. While there is some academic tutoring, the vast majority of faculty won't cut you any slack regarding schedule changes for missed tests, labs, etc. At the end of this, if you pick an easy major, you'll have a Cal degree, and you can look for a job through the Career Center. Pick a major in business, science, or engineering, and it'll be a much tougher path.

If you're a 17-YO academically inclined athlete, which pitch sounds better?
BeachedBear
HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

NVBear78 said:

"Embrace your brand" sounds easy, but Cal needs to walk the walk, as well. Why do we lose head-to-head recruiting battles to Stanford?

Stanford can pitch the fact that they have a system designed to get all accepted students (including athletes) to graduation. You have to work, but everything will be in place to make you successful. At the end of this, you may or may not have a pro career, but you'll definitely have a Stanford degree with all the associated connections (positions with high tech, internships with VCs, etc)

At Cal, the pitch is more like: if you get accepted, then you get to compete your a$$ off for four years to graduate. While there is some academic tutoring, the vast majority of faculty won't cut you any slack regarding schedule changes for missed tests, labs, etc. At the end of this, if you pick an easy major, you'll have a Cal degree, and you can look for a job through the Career Center. Pick a major in business, science, or engineering, and it'll be a much tougher path.

I'm not sure your Cal pitch is up to date. It definitely was when I was a student, but it may have changed (although I still hear about uncooperative professors - but not as much).
calumnus
HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

NVBear78 said:

Again, people read the article about Jaylen Brown.

Stanford promotes Stanford's brand.
It was not attractive to Jaylen. Cal was. Read what Isaiah Thomas said about Cal.

Read the article about Cuonzo Martin posted recently.

The Cal experience is about more than academics and getting a degree that will get you a high paying corporate job. It is about educating oneself, challenging paradigms and wanting to make a difference in the world. That had extreme resonance with Jaylen Brown and would with MANY young student athletes these days.
helltopay1
Dear anyone .the great majority of basketball layers are not CEO material..They are basketball layers who want the easiest ride until they can make money at their craft. Stanford is harder to get into than Cal, but, once in, Stanford is a slice of cake when contrasted with Cal. You are coddled at Stanford...you are not coddled at Cal. This is not going to change..
helltopay1
Dear alumnus ..Not reading the article is what lawyers call " a distinction without a difference." Monty told me that " kids want to come to Stanford." Getting admitted is a lifelong dream come true. Contrast that with Cal. Stanford recruits the entire planet earth. Cal..mostly northern california..there are exceptions of course..at my age, I don't sugarcoat..
smh
dear helltopay.. kind of you to share, thanks, but cyberBears may not be the greatest place for ya. farm's got some good boards too, dontcha know.

and more, just in one fading flake's biased opinion, spitballing..
0) welcome to dreaded 20XX "interesting times"
1) an overwhelming majority of *everyone* is/are not CEO material, CEOs included.
2) these days, even setting aside plagues, second hand information suggests college sports isn't such an easy ride anywhere anymore, if ever.
3) "this is not going to change"? too darned fast *everything* changes, and in these crazy times sooner than expected / hoped for.

i forget the rest, happy trails H2Pay
bluesaxe
LateHit said:

Quote was from before he started classes at Cal, so what's your point again?
bluesaxe
helltopay1 said:

He comes back every year. He mentions his experience at Cal frequently, and positively. He could have gone to any school in the country, and Stanfurd would rolled over like a puppy wanting its belly rubbed if he suggested any interest at all. If you can't figure out why he left after one year you probably should see a doctor.
bluesaxe
helltopay1 said:

Dear alumnus ..Not reading the article is what lawyers call " a distinction without a difference." Monty told me that " kids want to come to Stanford." Getting admitted is a lifelong dream come true. Contrast that with Cal. Stanford recruits the entire planet earth. Cal..mostly northern california..there are exceptions of course..at my age, I don't sugarcoat..
Mostly Northern California? Do you pay any attention to Cal hoops?

2020 offers went to kids from Florida, West Virginia, Minnesota, Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Missouri, New York, Louisiana, Connecticut, Kansas, Texas, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Canada, and Nevada. Of the California kids offered, more were from SoCal.

2021 offers went to kids from Texas, Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Oregon, Minnesota, Washington, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Nevada, Illinois, New Hampshire, Kansas, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Georgia, and a bunch of kids from SoCal. No one from NorCal.

The holdovers on the roster are from Australia, Germany, Greece, Canada, San Bernadino, Stockton, Florida, Texas.

New recruits, including grad transfers are Celestine from NY, Bowser from Oakland, Foreman who originally is from Tennessee, Hyder originally from San Bernadino, and Bettley who is originally from Pennsylvania.

MSaviolives
bluesaxe said:

LateHit said:

Quote was from before he started classes at Cal, so what's your point again?
It was also a quote of a quote. The wording was likely a paraphrase looking back several years ago by the guy who said it--Ali--and not the exact verbiage from Jaylen.

Quote:

"I'll never forget it," Ali said. "Jaylen said if I wanted to just play basketball, I would've went to Kentucky. I wanted an education, so I came to Cal. He advocated for himself."
MSaviolives
I have always had this fantasy that, someday, a highly rated football or basketball recruit might declare and say that he chose Cal because it is Cal--great academics, #1 public university in the world, Nobel Prize winning world class professors, berkelium, diversity, public education, etc--and that athletics were secondary or not important in the considerations. Sure, our recruits all give lip service to the academic reputation, but for the vast majority that is just a plus factor for them.

And here, Jaylen actually said it, meant it, and lived it. Shareef Abdur-Rahim was similar. He left after a year, but came back after his NBA career to get his degree (3.8 GPA). These are my guys.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.