Lute Olsen Passes

2,838 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by annarborbear
CALiforniALUM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kicked our asses, had a bigger check book, won a lot of games, made AZ fans insufferable, may he Rest In Peace.
TheNastybear
RIP
SBGold
One of the great all time cheats
Strykur
He coached Steve Kerr, otherwise ****'em.
joe amos yaks
Up you go Coach Lute.
UrsusTexicanus
My two favorite Lute Olson moments:

1993 - Jason Kidd and Lamond Murray leading Cal to victory over then #3 Arizona at Oakland Coliseum.

2013 - Cal beating Arizona at McKale on "Lute Olson Night."
Big C
SBGold said:

One of the great all time cheats

Always looked great in those suits, well-coiffed and all, which helped him claim the moral high ground and get away with more stuff. Still, a giant in coaching. RIP, Lute.
calfanz
I"m sorry for his family and the Zona fan base.

Why has "Passed" "Passes" and "Passed Away" become a normal for our society.

What is wrong with saying "he died"? Or even "he died peacefully"?

Our inability to confront the truth and deal with it, is becoming more and more prevalent...and not just about death and sexuality.

I find it a disturbing trend.
Big C
calfanz said:

Our inability to confront the truth and deal with it, is becoming more and more prevalent...and not just about death and sexuality.

Same reason we go to the "bathroom" or the "restroom": We can't handle the truth!
stu
Big C said:

Same reason we go to the "bathroom" or the "restroom": We can't handle the truth!
In New Zealand they call it a "toilet".
oskidunker
Red Fox went to the Great Beyond.
Go Bears!
calumnus
calfanz said:

So many people dying right now.
71Bear
calfanz said:

Couldn't agree more....

Whenever I see that someone "passes", I always think that perhaps he/she should have run.
caltagjohnson
Anyone who outrecruits Cal is a cheater. That include just about all the successful coaches.
joe amos yaks
Respect earned.
A good Man*.
Dues paid!
Great career --
1953-1956 - Augsburg College, MN (player)
1956-1957 - Mahnomen HS
1957-1961 - Two Harbors HS
1962-1963 - Western HS
1963-1964 - Loara HS
1964-1969 - Marina HS
1969-1973 - Long Beach CC
1973-1974 - Long Beach Stu
1974-1983 - uIowa
1983-2008 - uA
1986 - US National Team
__
*Hair helmet.
helltopay1
Lute was a terrific coach. He also had a secret weapon. His wife (Bobbi?) used to make pancakes for the recruits. .
helltopay1
Dear 71: Indeed. Please see universities and colleges which have been restricting more and more speech in order to appease the snowflake students who faint or pretend to faint whenever they hear ideas/opinioins which run counter to their preferred narrative. These snowflakes have been aided and abetted by professors and administrators who are either like-minded or also have snowflake tendencies. Say and do the right thing or else!!!!Cancel culture is now striding like a mighty Frankenstein down our streets and campuses. Any casual reader of history knows this will not end well.
calumnus
helltopay1 said:

Dear 71: Indeed. Please see universities and colleges which have been restricting more and more speech in order to appease the snowflake students who faint or pretend to faint whenever they hear ideas/opinioins which run counter to their preferred narrative. These snowflakes have been aided and abetted by professors and administrators who are either like-minded or also have snowflake tendencies. Say and do the right thing or else!!!!Cancel culture is now striding like a mighty Frankenstein down our streets and campuses. Any casual reader of history knows this will not end well.

Any serious reader of history knows the casual readers of history are easily mislead.
71Bear
calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

Any serious reader of history knows the casual readers of history are easily mislead.
Well said, calumnus.......
tsubamoto2001
RIP. His teams in the late '90's and early 2000's probably had the biggest effect on me personally in terms of how I played. Loved watching those explosive guard-oriented teams that played with great freedom and confidence.
annarborbear
I was in Ann Arbor while Lute was coaching at Iowa. He didn't have the recruiting advantages he later had at Arizona, but he still put some really well-coached teams on the floor for the Hawkeyes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.