NBA Finals

8,486 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 01Bear
01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

01Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

01Bear said:

AunBear89 said:

I do appreciate your efforts , even though facts and details are anathema to conservative minded people. I'm afraid your well written and factual arguments will fall on mostly deaf ears.

I tend to give WIAF the benefit of the doubt. I don't believe him to be someone to whom facts and details are anathema. If anything, I suspect he might just be suffering from a bit of confirmation bias. But that's something to which we may all fall prone.

More importantly, I do think WIAF is a reasonable person who, if given the chance, will be able to overcome that bias. He's nowhere near as far gone as some others I know.

At the end of the day, I admire and respect WIAF. I may disagree with him and challenge some of his assertions, but I believe him to be an honorable man with good intentions. I just think he may do well to broaden his sample size a bit before drawing conclusions from suspect sample groups.
Well I appreciate your effort to educate me, but I am having confirmation bias. It is difficult to quantify why TV ratings are down, and pollsters are not exactly built for testing this type of information. But facts and details are hard to come by, despite '89's unequivocal assertion to the contrary. I'm actually seeing very little data, and just a lot of speculation, and I'm willing to concede that there probably are a lot of reasons. Basically I'm a a Lakers fan with no one to talk to these days, as no one seems to care, which given a few years ago when I was with over a million people watching them parade down Figueroa, has me exasperated. I guess we will find out where basketball is next year, assuming they have a regular season.

WIAF, I'll talk Lakers with you! My friends and I still talk Lakers (and also Dodgers, especially given the World Series). The win tonight was a good start. Now just 3 more wins!
Ah, a kindred spirit. Pivotal game tonight. Bueler has been throwing well lately, and may the D's best pitcher, and Morton is just plain old good. Should be a pitcher's duel.

BTW, world series ratings for the first two games, which had been down anyway, are at records low for recent times. My sense is baseball was less political than basketball, so ratings drops clearly are being impacted by many causes outside politics. I am finding much more discussion of the Dodgers, but being in real estate, I tend to be around more hispanics, who tend to follow the Dodgers more than the Lakers.

It was a good game tonight. Well, at least for Dodgers fans. While the outcome of the game wasn't really in doubt after the fourth inning, it was still a very enjoyable game to watch. Walker Buehler was rolling and showed why he's the Dodgers' ace. The bullpen also held up well. Despite giving up the homerun to Arozarena, even Kenley Jansen pitched well to close the game. I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's game. It should be Urias taking the mound against Ryan Yarbrough. If Urias can continue pitching like he did in Game 7 of the NLCS, the Rays batters will have a tough night. I'm hoping that proves to be the case!
wifeisafurd
01Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

01Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

01Bear said:

AunBear89 said:

I do appreciate your efforts , even though facts and details are anathema to conservative minded people. I'm afraid your well written and factual arguments will fall on mostly deaf ears.

I tend to give WIAF the benefit of the doubt. I don't believe him to be someone to whom facts and details are anathema. If anything, I suspect he might just be suffering from a bit of confirmation bias. But that's something to which we may all fall prone.

More importantly, I do think WIAF is a reasonable person who, if given the chance, will be able to overcome that bias. He's nowhere near as far gone as some others I know.

At the end of the day, I admire and respect WIAF. I may disagree with him and challenge some of his assertions, but I believe him to be an honorable man with good intentions. I just think he may do well to broaden his sample size a bit before drawing conclusions from suspect sample groups.
Well I appreciate your effort to educate me, but I am having confirmation bias. It is difficult to quantify why TV ratings are down, and pollsters are not exactly built for testing this type of information. But facts and details are hard to come by, despite '89's unequivocal assertion to the contrary. I'm actually seeing very little data, and just a lot of speculation, and I'm willing to concede that there probably are a lot of reasons. Basically I'm a a Lakers fan with no one to talk to these days, as no one seems to care, which given a few years ago when I was with over a million people watching them parade down Figueroa, has me exasperated. I guess we will find out where basketball is next year, assuming they have a regular season.

WIAF, I'll talk Lakers with you! My friends and I still talk Lakers (and also Dodgers, especially given the World Series). The win tonight was a good start. Now just 3 more wins!
Ah, a kindred spirit. Pivotal game tonight. Bueler has been throwing well lately, and may the D's best pitcher, and Morton is just plain old good. Should be a pitcher's duel.

BTW, world series ratings for the first two games, which had been down anyway, are at records low for recent times. My sense is baseball was less political than basketball, so ratings drops clearly are being impacted by many causes outside politics. I am finding much more discussion of the Dodgers, but being in real estate, I tend to be around more hispanics, who tend to follow the Dodgers more than the Lakers.

It was a good game tonight. Well, at least for Dodgers fans. While the outcome of the game wasn't really in doubt after the fourth inning, it was still a very enjoyable game to watch. Walker Buehler was rolling and showed why he's the Dodgers' ace. The bullpen also held up well. Despite giving up the homerun to Arozarena, even Kenley Jansen pitched well to close the game. I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's game. It should be Urias taking the mound against Ryan Yarbrough. If Urias can continue pitching like he did in Game 7 of the NLCS, the Rays batters will have a tough night. I'm hoping that proves to be the case!
yup, advantage Dodgers. I'm guessing there is more offense, but Urias is another guy who is pithing well right now.
Econ For Dummies
I'm watching the weekly NFL games, which is the only sports I've really followed since the pandemic started. MLB caught me off guard and the Giants weren't going to be good and I think baseball suffers without the crowd reactions. And the NBA I just couldn't get back into this year.

I'm not sure what my energy level is for Cal football and men's basketball this year. With all that's going on, I'm just not as into sports as I used to be. I don't think it's age.
wifeisafurd
Dodgers win series. I watched!
dimitrig
wifeisafurd said:

Not near as many fireworks as when the Lakers won - at least in my area.

smh
dimitrig said:

fireworks baad.
01Bear
smh said:

dimitrig said:

fireworks baad.

I was concerned they might lead to more fires, especially with the hot dry winds. I'm glad to see they didn't.
01Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Same here. It was a good series, and a lot closer than many expected. There were some costly mistakes made on the field and by the managers that will likely be talked about for years. I still can't believe Kevin Cash pulled Blake Snell in the sixth inning when the latter was still effective and had been giving the Dodgers batters fits all night. That move undoubtedly changed the outcome of the game. At a minimum, it gave the Dodgers more confidence at the plate. At least Dave Roberts didn't manage to give the win away by pulling an equally nonsensical move by inserting Kenley Jansen in to close out the game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.