Roster question

2,319 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Big C
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why is Blake Welle redshirting?
Big C

Semantics. He is a walk-on. Every year that he is on the roster, it is at the pleasure of the coaching staff. They can keep him for five years*, four years, how ever many years they want.

* five years to play four
4thGenCal
Great kid, good academics, very well liked by the players and mature. Gives solid effort consistently in practice. Staff likes to pair him up with new recruits regardless of age so they understand the process/what is expected of them.
calumnus
Big C said:

Semantics. He is a walk-on. Every year that he is on the roster, it is at the pleasure of the coaching staff. They can keep him for five years*, four years, how ever many years they want.

Didn't he log zero minutes last year (effectively redshirting)?
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

Didn't he log zero minutes last year (effectively redshirting)?

I forget if this season coming up will be his 2nd or 3rd here (Getting my Welles mixed up!). If he is a true RS Soph, it will be his 3rd. I'm almost positive there has been ONE season in which he did not play, so yes.

Again, for a walk-on, it doesn't matter, unless you really want to have him on the roster that 5th year.

BTW, to 4thGenCal, we look forward to you sharing your team knowledge and insight this year: If the "no fans" continues all season, it's going to be tough for folks like me, with 40+ years of going to Harmon/Haas. Great to hear about Welle. What's his brother up to?
4thGenCal
Thank you Big C - just enjoy supporting the program in what ever ways needed. Its tough at Cal as we know and despite what some subscribers dismiss - Cal is at an competitive disadvantage in many areas for recruiting due to no practice gym (a big deal), tough admission requirements, the overall city of Berkeley (image, perception etc). Current rebuilding mode etc. Blake is a RS soph, and his brother is currently playing professionally in Sweden and has been overseas for the past 2 years. First in the UK then Sweden. Solid family and thus for housing the staff likes to pair up Blake with incoming players when possible.
HoopDreams
4thGenCal said:

Thank you Big C - just enjoy supporting the program in what ever ways needed. Its tough at Cal as we know and despite what some subscribers dismiss - Cal is at an competitive disadvantage in many areas for recruiting due to no practice gym (a big deal), tough admission requirements, the overall city of Berkeley (image, perception etc). Current rebuilding mode etc. Blake is a RS soph, and his brother is currently playing professionally in Sweden and has been overseas for the past 2 years. First in the UK then Sweden. Solid family and thus for housing the staff likes to pair up Blake with incoming players when possible.
interesting that a player of his skills, ability can carve out a pro career overseas
Big C

I don't know the Welles' background, but if you can get EU citizenship, it's a lot easier to get on a roster over there. Salaries are often modest in those cases (not being one of the star American players), but it's a great life experience that can even pay off career-wise, years later.
calumnus
Big C said:

I don't know the Welles' background, but if you can get EU citizenship, it's a lot easier to get on a roster over there. Salaries are often modest in those cases (not being one of the star American players), but it's a great life experience that can even pay off career-wise, years later.

Actually if you can get citizenship it can be more lucrative once you hit free agency because the team doesn't have to use one of their "foreigner" slots on you. My nephew's best friend, Tony Akin, was born in Detroit, grew up in LA, moved to Atlanta were he was "Mr. Basketball" for the state of Georgia, was a 4 yr starter at Georgia Tech and after playing in several European leagues ended up in Korea where his mom is from and became a star. Helped that he spoke Korean and was able to get duel citizenship. Made almost as much in endorsements and acting as he did playing basketball.
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

Actually if you can get citizenship it can be more lucrative once you hit free agency because the team doesn't have to use one of their "foreigner" slots on you. My nephew's best friend, Tony Akin, was born in Detroit, grew up in LA, moved to Atlanta were he was "Mr. Basketball" for the state of Georgia, was a 4 yr starter at Georgia Tech and after playing in several European leagues ended up in Korea where his mom is from and became a star. Helped that he spoke Korean and was able to get duel citizenship. Made almost as much in endorsements and acting as he did playing basketball.

Yes, good $$$ if you're a top talent (relative to the foreign leagues) like that Tony Akin. Welle the Elder -- loved the guy at Cal -- is more of a marginal talent, so I was suggesting that what citizenship might do for him is get him a spot on a roster. Not sure the median salary is all that high over there, unless you're on one of the top teams. 4thGenCal said Welle played in Sweden and Great Britain? The top teams are probably in Greece, France, Italy and Spain.

Anyway, great for him to be able to continue to play, make international connections... and get paid for it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.