Paul Westphal, 70, passed yesterday.

3,138 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFCityBear
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow. Inducted into HOF in Sept 2019 - on top of the world, right?
11 months later, diagnosed with brain cancer.
5 months later, dead.
That sucks for his family. Elation to death. It can happen fast.

Paul Westphal, a Hall of Fame guard who was a five-time All-Star and a three-time All-NBA first-team selection, has died at the age of 70, the Phoenix Suns announced Saturday.
Westphal had been diagnosed with brain cancer in August 2020.
He grew up in Southern California and played college basketball at USC before being selected 10th overall by the Boston Celtics in the 1972 draft.
Westphal won an NBA title with the Celtics in 1974 in his second season, playing a key role off the bench. But his career really took off when he was traded to Phoenix, where his scoring average more than doubled -- to 20.5 per game -- as he helped lead the Suns to their first NBA Finals appearance in 1976.
"Westy will forever be remembered as a prominent Valley sports legend both on and off the court," Suns managing partner Robert Sarver said in a statement Saturday. "He built an illustrious career as both a player and a coach. His legacy ranks among the most quintessential basketball icons of all time.
"Throughout the past 40 years, Westy has remained a great friend of the organization and as a trusted sounding board and confidant for me. His No. 44 will forever hold its place in our Ring of Honor, enshrined as one of the utmost deserving members."

NBA commissioner Adam Silver praised Westphal as "one of the great all-around players of his era."
"He will be remembered for his generosity, leadership and love for the game, which defined his many years in the NBA," Silver said in a statement. "We extend our deepest condolences to Paul's wife, Cindy, and their family."
In Game 5 of the 1976 Finals, Westphal made several key plays to push the game -- often called the greatest in playoff history -- to triple overtime. Though the Celtics prevailed in the game and the series, Westphal had announced his arrival as one of the NBA's best guards.

"He was cerebral in his game," former Suns owner Jerry Colangelo said in a statement Saturday. "He was always thinking one step ahead. Even the infamous triple-overtime game in Boston during the Finals series, when he was the one who said 'Call the timeout' -- which forced a free throw but gave us the ball at half court and set up the opportunity to tie the game, which we did. That's thinking right on the spot at the moment."
After five straight All-Star seasons, Westphal was hit with injuries that limited his playing time until 1982-83, when he earned Comeback Player of the Year honors with the New York Knicks. He returned the next season to finish out his playing career with the Suns before turning to coaching.
As an NBA coach, he went 318-279, including a trip to the 1993 Finals and two conference semifinals with the Suns. Westphal also coached the Seattle SuperSonics and Sacramento Kings. He last worked in the NBA as an assistant coach for the Brooklyn Nets from 2014 to 2016.
"Along with the numerous accolades and achievements he earned on the court, he was a true gentleman who treated everyone he encountered with remarkable kindness, humility and candor, making an indelible impact on so many across our sport," the Kings said in a statement.

At the college level, Westphal coached at Southwestern Baptist Bible College (now Arizona Christian University), Grand Canyon and Pepperdine.
He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame in September 2019. His No. 44 is retired by the Suns, as is his No. 25 by USC.
"There may be just a handful of people who have as much influence and significance on the history of the Phoenix Suns," Colangelo said. "All he accomplished as a player and as a coach. Off the court, he was a gentleman, a family man, great moral character. He represented the Suns the way you want every player to represent your franchise."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
wifeisafurd
concordtom said:

Wow. Inducted into HOF in Sept 2019 - on top of the world, right?
11 months later, diagnosed with brain cancer.
5 months later, dead.
That sucks for his family. Elation to death. It can happen fast.

Paul Westphal, a Hall of Fame guard who was a five-time All-Star and a three-time All-NBA first-team selection, has died at the age of 70, the Phoenix Suns announced Saturday.
Westphal had been diagnosed with brain cancer in August 2020.
He grew up in Southern California and played college basketball at USC before being selected 10th overall by the Boston Celtics in the 1972 draft.
Westphal won an NBA title with the Celtics in 1974 in his second season, playing a key role off the bench. But his career really took off when he was traded to Phoenix, where his scoring average more than doubled -- to 20.5 per game -- as he helped lead the Suns to their first NBA Finals appearance in 1976.
"Westy will forever be remembered as a prominent Valley sports legend both on and off the court," Suns managing partner Robert Sarver said in a statement Saturday. "He built an illustrious career as both a player and a coach. His legacy ranks among the most quintessential basketball icons of all time.
"Throughout the past 40 years, Westy has remained a great friend of the organization and as a trusted sounding board and confidant for me. His No. 44 will forever hold its place in our Ring of Honor, enshrined as one of the utmost deserving members."

NBA commissioner Adam Silver praised Westphal as "one of the great all-around players of his era."
"He will be remembered for his generosity, leadership and love for the game, which defined his many years in the NBA," Silver said in a statement. "We extend our deepest condolences to Paul's wife, Cindy, and their family."
In Game 5 of the 1976 Finals, Westphal made several key plays to push the game -- often called the greatest in playoff history -- to triple overtime. Though the Celtics prevailed in the game and the series, Westphal had announced his arrival as one of the NBA's best guards.

"He was cerebral in his game," former Suns owner Jerry Colangelo said in a statement Saturday. "He was always thinking one step ahead. Even the infamous triple-overtime game in Boston during the Finals series, when he was the one who said 'Call the timeout' -- which forced a free throw but gave us the ball at half court and set up the opportunity to tie the game, which we did. That's thinking right on the spot at the moment."
After five straight All-Star seasons, Westphal was hit with injuries that limited his playing time until 1982-83, when he earned Comeback Player of the Year honors with the New York Knicks. He returned the next season to finish out his playing career with the Suns before turning to coaching.
As an NBA coach, he went 318-279, including a trip to the 1993 Finals and two conference semifinals with the Suns. Westphal also coached the Seattle SuperSonics and Sacramento Kings. He last worked in the NBA as an assistant coach for the Brooklyn Nets from 2014 to 2016.
"Along with the numerous accolades and achievements he earned on the court, he was a true gentleman who treated everyone he encountered with remarkable kindness, humility and candor, making an indelible impact on so many across our sport," the Kings said in a statement.

At the college level, Westphal coached at Southwestern Baptist Bible College (now Arizona Christian University), Grand Canyon and Pepperdine.
He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame in September 2019. His No. 44 is retired by the Suns, as is his No. 25 by USC.
"There may be just a handful of people who have as much influence and significance on the history of the Phoenix Suns," Colangelo said. "All he accomplished as a player and as a coach. Off the court, he was a gentleman, a family man, great moral character. He represented the Suns the way you want every player to represent your franchise."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
wow, that really sucks. Remember watching him play growing-up in SoCal. RIP Westy.
SFCityBear
One of the all-time greats. He was the smoothest-looking guard I ever saw. He made everything look effortless whether it was dribbling, passing, moving, shooting, or defending. Kind of like Hondo. They always looked like they were playing at about 75%, and usually won. Unlike many modern players who often look like they are playing at 110%, only to get going too fast or jumping too high and either getting all tied-up with no where to go, like Joel Brown,or jumping too high when it was not safe, and getting hurt like Bradley in yesterday's game vs OSU. They are young, and hopefully can learn from that game to play within themselves.
SFCityBear
bearmanpg
SFCityBear said:

One of the all-time greats. He was the smoothest-looking guard I ever saw. He made everything look effortless whether it was dribbling, passing, moving, shooting, or defending. Kind of like Hondo. They always looked like they were playing at about 75%, and usually won. Unlike many modern players who often look like they are playing at 110%, only to get going too fast or jumping too high and either getting all tied-up with no where to go, like Joel Brown,or jumping too high when it was not safe, and getting hurt like Bradley in yesterday's game vs OSU. They are young, and hopefully can learn from that game to play within themselves.

SMH
helltopay1
Can't believe it...when I was at UCLA I was a USC fan and I watched all the USC freshman games at the Sports Arena. Westphal was my favorite player. He was one of the very few players Wooden missed out on when he recruited him. He also played first base on the baseball team. He averaged 32 points a game in his senior year at Aviation year school. I'm suddenly feeling very vulnerable. Each moment is precious...I wasn't planning on having a cocktail tonight; but, in honor of Westphal, I may have to reconsider. God bless his family.
concordtom
Star for the honest humility!
I'm sorry for the sense of personal loss here.
A toast to your driving cross-town to watch some hoops days. I see a young HTP with a soft heart.

helltopay1
Thank God we have Concord Tom to explain my current personality/heart/psyche/intellect/soul/disposition/character/
Is there no cure/antidote/rx/vaccine/antibodies/ for insolence/arrogance???
Evidently not..
Oh dear...I had such high hopes.
concord and everything in it is a testament to what happens when God takes a vacation and delegates the creation to some lesser architect.
BeachedBear
helltopay1 said:

Thank God we have heltopay1 to explain my current personality/heart/psyche/intellect/soul/disposition/character/
Evidently not..
helltopay1 and everything in it is a testament to what happens when God takes a vacation and delegates the creation to some lesser architect.
FIFY
joe amos yaks
helltopay1 said:

Can't believe it...when I was at UCLA I was a USC fan and I watched all the USC freshman games at the Sports Arena. Westphal was my favorite player. He was one of the very few players Wooden missed out on when he recruited him. He also played first base on the baseball team. He averaged 32 points a game in his senior year at Aviation year school. I'm suddenly feeling very vulnerable. Each moment is precious...I wasn't planning on having a cocktail tonight; but, in honor of Westphal, I may have to reconsider. God bless his family.
I remember the great Paul Westphal at uSC.
Fond memories.
59bear
One of my enduring memories of Westphal's early career was an opposing player (presumably black) saying of him "...he's great, even if he's white", which I assumed was meant as the ultimate accolade.
helltopay1
Players like Westphal, Pete Maravich and Larry Bird are referred to as "white chocolate" in black barbershops, etc. Only the top 1 or 2% of white athletes are good or creative enough to receive this accolade in the legendary barbershops. Although I loved Westphal, he wasn't nearly as creative as Maravich. Pete averaged 44 points a game in college before the three point-play. bird could trash-talk with the best of the trash-talkers, too. That only added to his "white chocolate " status.
concordtom
helltopay1 said:

Thank God we have Concord Tom to explain my current personality/heart/psyche/intellect/soul/disposition/character/
Evidently not..
concord and everything in it is a testament to what happens when God takes a vacation and delegates the creation to some lesser architect.
Wow.

First of all, I tried to say something nice to you, but you come back with that? Wow.
Secondly, you are ripping on a city? Like that? You sound like a racist, elitist, creationist. I'm sorry for you.

Have a good night's sleep, Ebenezer. Don't stay up too late watching those final few Georgia votes come in.

Chapman_is_Gone
concordtom said:

helltopay1 said:

Evidently not..
Wow.

First of all, I tried to say something nice to you, but you come back with that? Wow.
Secondly, you are ripping on a city? Like that? You sound like a racist, elitist, creationist. I'm sorry for you.

Have a good night's sleep, Ebenezer. Don't stay up too late watching those final few Georgia votes come in.

Do you EVER shut up about politics?
helltopay1
No.....your post was condescending, insolent and arrogant. Your message was gee....HTP used to have a heart......I wonder where he went off the rails???News flash....I never went off the rails....You, on the other hand, missed the train.
helltopay1
Chapman.....read my post....criticizing concord Tom is not "political." " It is simply keeping a young, arrogant whippersnapper in place. Not a pleasant task, to be sure...but, someone has to do it....I volunteer for the task.
82gradDLSdad
RIP Paul.
Regarding feeling vulnerable, yes. We each owe a life. Enjoy the day fellow bears, you never know.
BC Calfan
Anyone remember Westphal's appearance at Harmon back in the Early 90s?

Man, my memory might be screwing this up...but I believe it was Midnight Madness (or was it halftime of a game and exhibition?) and we were honoring KJ. The Suns were there, including Barkley and Coach Westphal---whom in addition to supporting KJ were shooting a scene for Hanging Mr. Cooper where Mark Curry gets dunked on by Barkley. What I do remember vividly is Barkley grabbed a stack of T-shirts from some staff member and started throwing them to the crowd. Westphal upon seeing this, reaches into his pocket pulls out a wad of cash and gives it to the staffer. Hilarious. I had that t-shirt for 2 decades!

Barkley on Hangin' with Mr. Cooper from Harmon

concordtom
helltopay1 said:

Chapman.....read my post....criticizing concord Tom is not "political." " It is simply keeping a young, arrogant whippersnapper in place. Not a pleasant task, to be sure...but, someone has to do it....I volunteer for the task.
He was criticizing me, not you.
concordtom
helltopay1 said:

No.....your post was condescending, insolent and arrogant. Your message was gee....HTP used to have a heart......I wonder where he went off the rails???News flash....I never went off the rails....You, on the other hand, missed the train.
I'm sorry you took my note to you as condescending, insolent and arrogant.
It was actually sincere.

We all have fond memories like the ones you shared of Westphal. I was enjoying yours.
Again, I'm sorry I didn't choose better words to get that point across. I will have to go back and read what I wrote again so I can see where I went wrong.
concordtom
Chapman_is_Gone said:

concordtom said:

helltopay1 said:

Evidently not..
Wow.

Do you EVER shut up about politics?

Fair point, and I find it to be an interesting phenomenon in myself as well.
I will point out that it wasn't until Trump came along.
I am so angry at him for changing this country the way he has. Once he's gone, i hope the right wing mob media also goes, but I do not expect them to.
I came to the hoops page again in an attempt to leave politics behind. But I was attacked by an old Off Topic nemesis with whom I had tried to find common ground. So I lashed back. Apologies.
concordtom
concordtom
concordtom
concordtom
Ref waves off dunk as a charge.
Today there is an arc there - can't stand under the basket.

concordtom
Pretty interesting to see how the game has changed in 42 years.
Looks like a college game.
No 3 point line.
No big man guarding the rim.

SFCityBear
Concord Tom has probably now set the record for continuous number of posts in a row.

Paul Westphal was the best player on the Bob Boyd's USC team of 1970-71, a team which lost only 2 games, and were ranked as high as #2 in the nation. Both games were losses to UCLA, as UCLA won the PAC8, and USC finished 2nd. John Wooden's UCLA team had Sidney Wicks, Curtis Rowe, Steve Patterson, and Henry Bibby. In the first game UCLA defeated USC by 4 points, and in the second game they defeated USC by 11 points. Besides Westphal, the USC starting lineup had no one taller than 6-6. Ron Riley was the center, who averaged 14 points and 15 rebounds. The main scorers were Dennis Layton and Westphal, along with Joe Mackey and Riley.

That season of 1970-71, Cal had the most individually talented team in Cal history, in my opinion: Phil Chenier, Charles Johnson, Jackie Ridgle, Ansley Truitt, and John Coughran. In the first game against USC at Harmon, USC ran Cal out of the gym, 90-66. In the second game in LA Cal did a little better, but still lost, 96-81.
SFCityBear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.