Lars the Thiemannator

1,801 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by KoreAmBear
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
giving the credit for Lars' new nickname to Koream

there has been so much criticisms of Lars last year and this year. Some of it deserved, but some of it unfair, or at least impatient.

the last two games have shown a lot of improvement. he's been cleanly rebounding the ball, and sometimes tough rebounds. His defense has overall improved and he had zero fouls yesterday. He still has a tough time catching the ball, but if the pass is in a place he can catch it (instead of below his knees) he is better at catching it and doing something positive with it.

he is certainly a work in progress and he's effectiveness will have a lot to do with matchups, but he's been a net positive, and how about that monster dunk over the best shot block in the league?!???

pierrezo
F-YEAH! I definitely fall into the impatient category with Lars, but that was awesome. Happy for him that he's improving.
BeachedBear
Maybe I'm impatient, but I don't think unfair. He definitely is showing improvement the last couple of games - and your point about passing is spot on - but I'd also add that about a third of his dropped passes are because he wasn't ready. But to your point - he has been much better prepared the last few games.

Honestly, I think the best description for Lars is frustration. Frustrated, because a 7 foot German hoopster should be just like Dirk Nowitzki - right?!?! But also frustrated at staff for the amount and timing of when they decide to play him vs other potential players.

But he's a bear and I'm glad he's on the team and enjoy watching his improvement.
HoopDreams
Besides going small with KK who should be getting the minutes over Lars?

I am really rooting for DJ but just don't see it yet. I read almost zero criticism of DJ here but every time he is on the court he is either fouling, out of position on defense or turning the ball over. Besides dunking he is less an offensive threat than Lars

Now with Grant back, I expect Lars minutes will drop, and like always, a lot depends on matchups, and time and score

BeachedBear said:

Maybe I'm impatient, but I don't think unfair. He definitely is showing improvement the last couple of games - and your point about passing is spot on - but I'd also add that about a third of his dropped passes are because he wasn't ready. But to your point - he has been much better prepared the last few games.

Honestly, I think the best description for Lars is frustration. Frustrated, because a 7 foot German hoopster should be just like Dirk Nowitzki - right?!?! But also frustrated at staff for the amount and timing of when they decide to play him vs other potential players.

But he's a bear and I'm glad he's on the team and enjoy watching his improvement.
BeachedBear
HoopDreams said:

I am really rooting for DJ but just don't see it yet. I read almost zero criticism of DJ here but every time he is on the court he is either fouling, out of position on defense or turning the ball over. Besides dunking he is less an offensive threat than Lars

Now with Grant back, I expect Lars minutes will drop, and like always, a lot depends on matchups, and time and score

BeachedBear said:

Most of the frustration I expressed reflects prior to the last couple games. I'm not suggesting zero minutes for Lars, but fewer to allow DJ development - is what I'm wondering about. Both need minutes. I'm OK with how much play Grant & Andre are getting in light of injuries and situational issues like fouls. Those are really are only four bigs.

Last year Lars got twice the minutes of DJ. This year it is Three times. Both have struggled - just think DJs development will proceed further if the split is closer to balance (not even - just closer). Furthermore, my frustration is the stretches that Lars remained in last season when he was clearly outmatched and lost - I feel that is not the best way to develop a player like Lars. The staff seems to be handling that better lately.

I like your idea of going small with KK - but that usually exploits his weaknesses too. Tough dilemma. With only 4 bigs and only two of them P12 competent (Grant and Andre) - seeing as much three-out as Fox plays tells me has little confidence in our perimeter players with Bradley out - which actually makes sense. Grant obviously plays a lot of stretch 4 in our lineup. He's the only one. I don't think of KK as a stretch 4 or even a rim protector in a 4-out offense.
BeachedBear
Another good game by Lars vs UW today. A couple of bad passes to him, but far fewer defensive errors than in the past. I also thought the big rotations this game by Fox were solid. Weaning Grant back in from Appendectomy recovery seems to be working.

Andre - was a beast - in particular passing out of the double, triple and sometime quadruple team today. It helps when perimeter players then make those shots.

We're at least the 11th best team in the P12!

concordtom
HoopDreams said:

I'm sorry. But I think you need to first get approval from Robert Thurman, aka "Mr. Dunk Dunk Dunk Dunk Dunk Dunk."

https://www.saratogian.com/news/column-cals-robert-thurman-provides-spark-with-dunks/article_6fddea38-5701-5d00-9f9b-7ddcf5633637.html
Big C

Good for Thurman, he's gotten more mileage out of one game than did any other Cal player I can remember.
Civil Bear
concordtom said:

HoopDreams said:

I'm sorry. But I think you need to first get approval from Robert Thurman, aka "Mr. Dunk Dunk Dunk Dunk Dunk Dunk."
The Theimannator > The Thurmonnator .... at least at this point in their careers.
LateHit
About Thurman: I will always remember Senior Night when his father attended who was significantly taller and wider than Robert.
About Theimann: He may not even make it to conference honorable mention, but his improvement from from last year is substantial. When he gets position in the paint this year, I WANT him to get the ball. Rebounding with much more authority. Free throws still bad.
How about Andre AND Lars down low sometimes?

concordtom
Civil Bear said:

concordtom said:

HoopDreams said:

The Theimannator > The Thurmonnator .... at least at this point in their careers.
Whatever the case, I just think someone should reach out to Robert for a quote! :-)
He can pass the torch, give his blessing - a fun tie-in for us fans.
Robert? Do you have some Terminator sword/flag/shield/banner to pass down?
Thiemann can pass it down years from now, and in 50 years it will be a real tradition in a glass case on the wall.
OdontoBear66
HoopDreams said:

BeachedBear said:

Amidst the Kelly/Betley great games I think we need to acknowledge that Lars did play better. My patience on him is not good and I would hope years 3 and 4 we will see the payoff for the PT now.

The offense I liked best against the zone was with Betley in and running the baseline. He really understands you don't slog the baseline against a zone. He opened things up a bunch and really helped the guards out as well as opening the top of the key. So the lineup with Betley/Anticivich and Kelly working the inside was my favorite yesterday, but rest is needed, so it was good to see Lars improve.
KoreAmBear
OdontoBear66 said:

HoopDreams said:

BeachedBear said:

Amidst the Kelly/Betley great games I think we need to acknowledge that Lars did play better. My patience on him is not good and I would hope years 3 and 4 we will see the payoff for the PT now.

The offense I liked best against the zone was with Betley in and running the baseline. He really understands you don't slog the baseline against a zone. He opened things up a bunch and really helped the guards out as well as opening the top of the key. So the lineup with Betley/Anticivich and Kelly working the inside was my favorite yesterday, but rest is needed, so it was good to see Lars improve.
LFG Der Thiemannator!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.