Story Poster
Photo by calbears.com
Cal Women's Basketball

Bears Top Sun Devils On Senior Day

February 21, 2021

BERKELEY - The California women's basketball team celebrated senior day with a win, taking down Arizona State, 67-55, Sunday afternoon at Haas Pavilion.

"We talked about what we needed to do (to win) so much, and we were so locked in," head coach Charmin Smith said. "This team is gaining confidence that we're okay, we can weather the storm." 

Sophomore guard Leilani McIntosh led all scorers with a career-high 21 points on 5-for-7 shooting and 4-for-4 from three, tying her career high in three-pointers made. McIntosh scored 15 of her 21 points in the second half and added two assists and two rebounds in the effort.

"I feel like this was a great team win for us," McIntosh said. "This gives us a lot of momentum going into the Pac-12 Tournament and Stanford next weekend, so I'm really happy for us."

Freshman guard Mia Mastrov finished with 12 points and seven rebounds, her first game scoring in double-figures since making her debut earlier this month. Sophomore forward Evelien Lutje-Schipholt had 12 points and five rebounds in the game.

Cal held the Sun Devils (10-9, 5-9 Pac-12) to 29 percent shooting (18-for-63) in the contest. As a team, the Bears shot a season-high 48.8 percent (20-for-41) from the field.

The Bears also displayed clutch free-throw shooting in the game, finishing 22-for-28 as a team. ASU finished 11-for-20 from the charity stripe.

The Sun Devils were led in scoring by junior guard Taya Hanson, who finished with 17 points and five rebounds.

Prior to the game, team captain Archer Olson was honored as the only senior member of the team this season. The senior guard has played an integral role this season, playing a career-high 252 minutes while scoring five three-pointers and averaging 1.4 rebounds per game.

"We've been working really hard and I think (the win) shows how much progress we've made," Olson said. "It also means a lot to me that my teammates came out and played so hard to get this win on Senior Day."

The Bears (1-14, 1-11 Pac-12) close out the regular season at Stanford, next Sunday, Feb. 28 at 1 p.m. PT. The game will be broadcast on Pac-12 Network. Fans can receive additional in-game updates and behind-the-scenes information by following the Bears' social media accounts (Twitter: @CalWBBall, Instagram: @CalWBBall and Facebook: Facebook.com/CalWBBall).

Discussion from...

Bears Top Sun Devils On Senior Day

3,109 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFCALBear72
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why is Archer the only senior honored when the Women's Roster on this site shows Mi'Cole Cayton as a senior, too?
wvitbear
Because she is in Nebraska.
SFCALBear72
And Alaysia Styles, who is also listed on that roster, graduated in December and is now playing for Maryland.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.