Karisma Ortiz grad transfer to CAL

3,024 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RJ
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like Karisma has transferred to CAL. Formerly from Mitty

https://calbears.com/news/2021/5/7/womens-basketball-cal-signs-karisma-ortiz.aspx
wbbilluminati
This is cool. Doubt she'll be a game-changer but absolutely could help in certain situations and certainly doesn't hurt.

I think she'd actually have 3 years of eligibility should she choose to use them?
bobbk

Maybe Ortiz coming is why Donald decommited?
Schroeder71
Karisma Ortiz was the PG for four seasons at Mitty. She was an excellent passer and played solid defense as a 6-0 guard. Her offense was decent but the Monarchs had many other scorers...It certainly can't hurt to have competition but it could create a logjam at guard. May the best young ladies win! She averaged 3.6 ppg both as a freshman at Penn State and a RS soph at Texas. Ortiz could have three seasons of eligibility if last season was not counted due to Covid-19. Karisma was 4th on the Longhorns with 19 three pointers. Evidently she can still handle the ball with 45 assists to 22 TOs. This factor alone could get her on the court for Charmin.
Karisma Ortiz - Women's Basketball - University of Texas Athletics (texassports.com)
When did 2022 PG Donald de-commit? I did not see that here. GO BEARS!
https://texassports.com/documents/2020/11/30/wbb_stats_2020_21.pdf
GO BEARS!
OBear073akaSMFan
bobbk said:

Maybe Ortiz coming is why Donald decommited?
..or could be vise versa!
SFCALBear72
Welcome Karisma!!

As for Jailah Donald, it could be a mutual parting given the limited scholarships available and a new recruiting coordinator, Paul Reed, on board. Perhaps a new direction.

I believe that this is a "no contact" week for coaches and recruits.
bearwbbfan
The comments from EGB Hoops (who is very involved in girls basketball on the west coast and across the country) were a little troubling. They made it seem like it was Cal's decision, not Donald's.
OBear073akaSMFan
Doesnt necessary mean acal pulled the scholarship but perhaps she did not qualify to enter Cal.
wbbilluminati
I wonder if she can replace McIntosh as our starting PG? Funny, I was recently looking at Charli Collier highlights and noticed Ortiz and was impressed with her handle. Seems like she struggles putting the ball in the basket (though her shooting form looks pretty) but I'm intrigued by the idea of Ortiz running the point, with 7 inches over McIntosh, with Greene and Crocker scoring, then Daniels at the 4, Oniyah the 5.
stu
Welcome to Cal Karisma!

I'm expecting with Karisma we'll be able to put 3 guards on the floor when needed. Also I'll be very happy to see more assists and fewer turnovers.
HoopDreams
wbbilluminati said:

I wonder if she can replace McIntosh as our starting PG? Funny, I was recently looking at Charli Collier highlights and noticed Ortiz and was impressed with her handle. Seems like she struggles putting the ball in the basket (though her shooting form looks pretty) but I'm intrigued by the idea of Ortiz running the point, with 7 inches over McIntosh, with Greene and Crocker scoring, then Daniels at the 4, Oniyah the 5.
incoming Jayda Curry is a PG who is much more likely to share PG duties in the future
wvitbear
To get assists, you need someone who can put ball in the hole. We were a terrible shooting team. Got better at the end of the year.
wbbilluminati
HoopDreams said:

wbbilluminati said:

incoming Jayda Curry is a PG who is much more likely to share PG duties in the future
I forgot about her lol, good call
wbbilluminati
bearwbbfan said:

The comments from EGB Hoops (who is very involved in girls basketball on the west coast and across the country) were a little troubling. They made it seem like it was Cal's decision, not Donald's.
yikes i wonder what's going on there? not sure who he is but seems to have a bone to pick
wvitbear
In praise of McIntosh. Lelani was our second leading scorer. Our best three point shooter by far (32.6%), our leader in steal, assists (only player to have a positive Assists to Turnover ratio), Shot 84.4% from the free throw line.

How do you get more assists when you perimeter shooters shoot the following. Olsen 16.7 %, Muca 20.4%, Mastrov 24.5%, and Richey 25.4%. Lelani shot 35.5%. Nobody but Lelani shot over 21.7% from 3 point land. I wouldn't replace her with Ortiz. Plus Lelani is a pretty good defender.
annarborbear
This will give us another hedge against injury in case our injured players are not ready to go. But the only thing that will improve our three-point shooting, looking at current statistics, will be if Green and Crocker can come all of the way back. Still really hoping for that.

My only criticism of Leilani is that she does a lot of dribbling to get the team into position. And obviously there is no ball movement going on while she is doing that. I would like to see less dribbling next year.
stu
Quote:

... My only criticism of Leilani is that she does a lot of dribbling to get the team into position. And obviously there is no ball movement going on while she is doing that. I would like to see less dribbling next year.
I'd like to see more movement by those without the ball.
rollonyoubears
bearwbbfan said:

Thanks for more eloquently stating what I was thinking. My first reaction was :F THAT GUY! WHAT DOES HE KNOW ABOUT OUR STAFF???!!!???
stu
wvitbear said:

In praise of McIntosh ...
I'm a big fan of Leilani. She's well rounded, steady, and a total warrior.
Ashfield63
stu said:

wvitbear said:

In praise of McIntosh ...
I'm a big fan of Leilani. She's well rounded, steady, and a total warrior.

There is Alma, and hopefully, she has recovered from her season ending injury. I think it was a torn ACL. She played 35 minutes, and scored 14 points in the CS Bakersfield game before her injury. She attended a sports academy in high school, which was an hour's flight from her home. Also, she played on national teams. Alma's Bio on the Cal roster page tells about her basketball accomplishments. She looks like a very good player. Charmin has said: Alma is a baller.

GGV
RJ
was this on twitter?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.