Cal offers Ladine

4,513 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by annarborbear
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I mentioned her two years ago when she played for team in the city. Now lays for Pinewood. Have we ever had a player from that school? Second rated player in Northern Cal in that class.
stu
ESPN ranks 5-11 guard Elle Ladine #75 nationally in the 2022 class.
Schroeder71
I watched the CCS championship game on-line between Pinewood & Archbishop Mitty. Ladine hit 5-6 threes from deep. She'll be the lone star on that team next season after the five seniors graduated.
bearwbbfan
I'll be interested to see who else gets involved here. I really like Ladine's game and her intangibles are impressive - leadership, movement, communication, energy, effort, competiveness, and so on.

I'm somewhat surprised it took Cal (and Colorado, the other Pac-12 school the post on NorCal Preps mentioned offered her recently) this long to offer her. If she has another strong showing in July I would not be surprised to see some higher level Pac-12 schools offer. The good thing is UCLA and Oregon State already have multiple guards committed and Oregon seems to be trying to close in on a few in addition to Isai.

I believe we only have one scholarship remaining for 2022, so Charmin will get to make a strong push for Ladine.

2023 will be an important class for Cal.
wvitbear
I'm not sure we have any openings. we already have Amaya Bonner. i wanted to write a column n scholarships but no now.
annarborbear
Since we can't seem to come up with a wing player who can shoot, we might want to go with a three-guard system, and Ladine apparently has a solid overall game, including perimeter shooting capability.
bearwbbfan
https://instagr.am/p/CTptN70Pn0x

Would really like to add this one.
SFCALBear72
bearwbbfan said:

https://instagr.am/p/CTptN70Pn0x

Would really like to add this one.

Interesting final 6. Rice and UW (who now has former Rice coach). And, of course, Lindsay.

Any guesses on where she might be leaning?
Schroeder71
Cal has never had a player from Pinewood or Archbishop Mitty since KI (Kristin Iwanaga) eons ago. Actually the transfer PG, Karisma Ortiz, originally came from Mitty, too. GO BEARS!
bearwbbfan
Ladine (and Hannah Stines) committed to UW:
Schroeder71
Ouch. Cal has G Amaya Bonner from BOD, right? Are the Bears in on anyone else? Cal might not have any more scholarships. The only senior is Jadyn Bush, the grad transfer from Harvard plus our walk-on, Sierra Richey. I believe that Karisma Ortiz has two seasons of eligibility because she has only played one year at Penn St and one at Texas. There still should be one scholie left that was offered to Elle Ladine. GO BEARS!
wvitbear
Bush may be a junior. Rex
Ashfield63
wvitbear said:

Bush may be a junior. Rex

Jaydyn graduated from Harvard in 2021. She is listed as a Grad Transfer. Rex you are correct as far as her eligibilty. She played two years, freshman and sophomore, and had surgery on her shoulder her junior year. Her senior year, Harvard did not play due to the Ivy League cancelling the season due to Covid-19. Previously, some one had said she can probably play two years if she wants to.
GGV
Ashfield63
Schroeder71 said:

Ouch. Cal has G Amaya Bonner from BOD, right? Are the Bears in on anyone else? Cal might not have any more scholarships. The only senior is Jadyn Bush, the grad transfer from Harvard plus our walk-on, Sierra Richey. I believe that Karisma Ortiz has two seasons of eligibility because she has only played one year at Penn St and one at Texas. There still should be one scholie left that was offered to Elle Ladine. GO BEARS!

I am not concerned.....The Bears have good ranked players. D. Daniels, M.Oniyah, Fatou, Karisma Ortiz and Sela Heide. Jaydn Bush, Mia Mastrov and Jayda Curry received many awards and accolades although not ranked by ESPN Hoopgurlz. Both Jazzy and Cailyn Crocker were big scorers their senior year. They returned to play after recovering from injuries. Alma and Ev. Shipholtz are good players. For the six freshman last season it was Baptismal by Fire! The team is still young as no one has played more then two years of collegiate basketball. Sierra is a Walkon. Amaya Bonner, class of 2022 coming to Cal is ranked 60 by ESPN.
GGV
Schroeder71
Good news! Both transfers, Bush & Ortiz, will have two seasons of eligibility. Every scholarship player will return for 2022 plus the addition of recruit Bonner. This is the year to begin the turnaround to a winning program, again.
GO BEARS!
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

Good news! Both transfers, Bush & Ortiz, will have two seasons of eligibility. Every scholarship player will return for 2022 plus the addition of recruit Bonner. This is the year to begin the turnaround to a winning program, again.
GO BEARS!
but do we have enough shooters?

we also don't seem to have any slashers
annarborbear
This is the year we are likely to see the start of a shake-out. Once we get through the non-conference games, we will likely go back to an 8 player rotation. Some players will be on the bench, and will want to transfer, although some may stay for a Cal degree. All programs on the rise go through this, and Charmin will want to win, so some messages will have to be sent. The extra Covid year along with our past injuries will add to the uncertainties for a while, but the 8 player rotation will start to shake things out.
puget sound cal fan
Getting to the eight-player rotation will shake things out
wvitbear
I can see them doing a 9 or even 10 person rotation. Will depend on the health of the three redshirted guards due to injury. Green shot 36.8 % from three her first year. Crocker shot 30.9 %. So two over 30 %. And LeLani went over 30% last year to make a huge improvement. Alma scored 14 points in her only game. Add in LeLani and the new freshman point guard plus Mia and you have 5 guards who could play. I expect 4 bigs.

Michelle, Dalayah , and Evelien all averaged close to 7 rebounds a game and were 3 pretty good defensive players. Sela led the team in blocks per minute. And who knows what Bush will do?

And who knows about Ortiz?

Like I said, if the three come back healthy then watch out. Unhealthy is a different story.
ClayK
Karisma Ortiz could turn out to be the best guard of the bunch. It could be an interesting year, as it appears the roster is significantly upgraded.

Then again, it's the Pac-12 and a significant upgrade over 1-13 might not mean as much as we'd like.
annarborbear
I went back and looked at how Kelly Cole distributed minutes at Northeastern. She had eight primary players, but she did manage also to give five minutes per game to four others. I still think that Charmin will shorten the bench when conference results are on the line, but we shall see.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.