Scholarships

1,655 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearDown2o15
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Right now we have 15 people on scholarship. One is a walk on who is given a scholarship for this year.
But my question is could there be more scholarships given temporarily than the 15 allotted by NCAA.

Complicating this matter is last year didn't count count so athletes get an extra year. But this roster has some unusual information.

First, regardless of Covid, we should have three redshirts by the traditional way (injuries). And they are Green, Crocker, and Elsnitz. But all three actually show no redshirt. Crocker and Green are listed as juniors and Elsnitzz a sophomore though they lost the whole season. Lelani and Schipholt did play and are listed as juniors too.

The we have two grad students who I believe have two years each of elgibility. Ortiz and Bush.

Further confusing this is that Covid players are suppose to get an extra year.

So here is the count: Sr. Richey. Jrs (4). Green, Mcintosh, Crocker and Schipholt. Sophs (6). Oniyiah, Daniels, Elsnitz, Muca, Heide, and Samb. Grad Stud (2). Ortiz, and Bush. Frosh (2). Curry, and Mastrov. We also have one commit for next years class and that is Bonner of BOD. But we have also offered Ladine of Pinewood.

That would make 16 players since only one senior would leave. Under normal circumstances, I would expect some transfers because of lack of playing time. But no one has done that yet. So what is the answer. Is there a temporary increase in scholarships due to Covid?
SFCALBear72
Why don't you send Kai Felton an email in order to get a reply from someone who knows this team better than all of us.

With her new title of Special Assistant, I think your question would be appropriate for her.
Schroeder71
Crocker, Green & Elsnitz cannot forcibly lose a year of eligibilty. If it is a voluntary choice then perhaps it could happen. Cal should have seven sophomores & three freshmen. I believe that Bush will be a senior and Ortiz will be a junior. Maybe that will leave two seniors and three juniors to total fifteen players.
wvitbear
I remember somewhere that Bush had two years of elgibility. Rex
bobbk
No scholarship limit for this coming season. Then back to 15 for the following year.
wvitbear
This season means 2021-2022. But I still see a log jam the next season too.
Finnish Oski
Jaydn Bush is a grad transfer and has only one year of eligibility left.
Ashfield63
Jaydn Bush played her freshman and sophomore years. She sat out her junior year due to having surgery on her shoulder. The Ivy League cancelled the 2020-2021 season due to Covid-19. She graduated from Harvard having played two seasons. Even though she is a grad transfer, can she play for two years at Cal...I did see somewhere she was listed as the class of 2023.
GGV
annarborbear
I have heard that Bush has two seasons if that is what she wants. However, as a Harvard grad who can easily finish her Cal grad program in one year, the question will whether she will want to move on to something else in her life after one season.
BearDown2o15
bobbk said:

No scholarship limit for this coming season. Then back to 15 for the following year.

This is INCORRECT.

Scholarship limit of 15 is still in place, however, Covid seniors (those who were seniors ELIGIBILITY WISE and were ON SCHOLARSHIP in 2020-21) can return and be on scholarship. These "Covid scholarships" only apply to the seniors for the 20-21 year and cannot be given to students who transfer here or were not on scholarship last year
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.