OT-Archbishop Mitty PG offer from Cal?

3,524 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFCALBear72
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was watching the championship game of the Iolani Classic in Hawaii between Mitty & Salesian. I believe that the player identified by the game announcer was 6-2 soph PG Morgan Cheli. Mitty (7-0) defeated Salesian by 3 points and Cheli was MVP of the tournament.

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/morgan-cheli/iC-yV5zSEeuAzqREozo6lw/default.htm
I only viewed the first half but AM is rebuilding after seven seniors graduated. HC Sue Phillips
still uses a 9 player rotation and presses the entire game. She either implements a full court press
or a half court trap. The latter is a double-team of the dribbler when she crosses the half court line.

Archbishop Mitty vs Salesian College Preparatory | Girls Basketball | 12/11 (maxpreps.com)

Cheli has length, speed & athleticism which enables her to tip balls and get steals. She also is a pure PG that does not look for her shot the majority of the time. She usually passes the ball to her teammates but will shoot when an opportune pass comes her way. I saw #33 hit a three pointer from the right corner at the end of the 1st quarter that put the Monarchs ahead by three points.

Can one of the insiders here check out this information to validate the offer, please? She would be the first Archbishop Mitty PG offered by the Bears since KI (Kristin Iwanaga). GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Looks like she has an offer per her twitter
wbbilluminati
I had read she was very good, up there with Lee and Peterson in that classboth of whom have had Cal offers (and beyond) and are top 20 nationally, so I would expect her to have an offer too.
smh
CalFanatic said:

Looks like she has an offer per her twitter

Schroeder71
Thank you, everyone! Do we know who the other young lady is with Charmin & Morgan? She's probably another recruit. The 2024 class has lots of California girls in it including Lee & Peterson, both 6-3! GO BEARS!
ClayK
Cheli will go wherever she wants. Offering elite players is pretty meaningless, really ...
CalWSportsFan
Well, what's the alternative?...not offer? :-)
wbbilluminati
Schroeder71 said:

Thank you, everyone! Do we know who the other young lady is with Charmin & Morgan? She's probably another recruit. The 2024 class has lots of California girls in it including Lee & Peterson, both 6-3! GO BEARS!
Lee is a 5'11" guard, there was a typo listing her at 6'2" or 6'3" that got repeated in one of her profiles

Peterson is indeed 6'3" and has emerged on UConn's radar.
OBear073akaSMFan
That's Clay. Seems always negative on Cal's recruiting!
Ashfield63
ClayK said:

Cheli will go wherever she wants. Offering elite players is pretty meaningless, really ...

What an attitude........Cal WBB program is highly invested in developing and supporting it young women to reach their aspirations both as a student, and after they graduate, while finding their place in an ever changing and challenging world. CAL WBB had the highest GPA of the 30 NCAA Sports teams in the spring semester. Jayda Curry entered CAL with a highschool GPA of 4.5. She may not be called an elite athlete, but is exceptional on and off the court. Charmin has pointed out her humulity, and abilty in being a solidifying teammate.(not an exact quote) My point being, Charmin has aspirations of developing an elite College Women Basketball program. If I had the grades to be accepted to Cal, I would rather play for Charmin then be constantly berrated by the likes of Geno, Vic Shafer, and Jeff Walz. Think how their personal attacks and behavior affects a young woman. I know you will point out the highly academic and elite athletes will attend Stanford. That said, Go Bears!
GGV
GATC
OBear073akaSMFan said:

That's Clay. Seems always negative on Cal's recruiting!

To be fair recruiting under LG has been weak (to be kind). 4 out of the 8 years we recruited 0, 1, 2, 2 and ended up with 1 player that stayed out of 4 recruiting classes. Thankfully those days are gone.
Rtkbear
Well said.
Schroeder71
wbbilluminati: thanks for the correction on Lee's height.

I was incorrect that Cal has had only one PG from Mitty. We have a second one now in Karisma Ortiz, a 6-0 transfer point guard. I hope that she can help the coaching staff secure Morgan Cheli's commitment. GO BEARS!
stu
I take the unofficial visit as an indicator of mutual interest.
wvitbear
There is a diifference in being offered and accepting. We know who accepted but we have no idea who was offered.
WC Bear
According to Raoul (@Raoul_000 on Twitter), Cal is recruiting the following:

2023 Targets

Chloe Briggs, 5-11 CG, Ontario Christian HS (CA)
[offered July 2021]

Sayvia Sellers, 5-8 PG, Anchorage Christian School (AK)
[offered July 2021]

Miyah Verse, 6-1 F, Arizona Elite Prep (Gilbert, AZ)
offered November 20211

2024 Targets

Morgan Cheli, 6-0 CG, Archbishop Mitty HS (San Jose,
CA) offered October 2021]

Katie Fiso, 5-11 PG, Garfield HS (Seattle, WA) [offered
February 20211

Jordan Lee, 6-0 W, St. Mary's HS (Stockton, CA) [offered
April 2021]

Harper Peterson, 6-3 W/F, Whitney HS (Rocklin, CA)
[offered April 2021]

Tajianna Avant-Roberts, 5-9 SG, La Jolla Country Day
School (CA) offered November 2021]

ClayK
Good point about offering Cheli ... why not? What I meant by "meaningless" is that every school is interested in elite players like Cheli, so the "offer" doesn't say much.

It would be nice if it meant Cheli had some serious interest, and it might mean that. She would be a great get.

Recruiting is difficult and there aren't enough elite players to go around. For example, Sayvia Sellers of Anchorage Christian will be at the Nike TOC, and if she hasn't been seen yet, she will be by literally hundreds of college coaches. If she appears to be a difference-maker at the P5 level, college coaches will be contacting her club and high school coaches to gauge her potential interest in their school, and from there offers will follow.

As mentioned, visits begin to tell the tale of mutual interest. I believe official visits are limited to six schools, so there's some info there. That said, Cheli doesn't need to waste an official visit on Cal -- she can just drive over, and save one of her six for a place she has to fly to.
SFCALBear72
WC Bear said:

According to Raoul (@Raoul_000 on Twitter), Cal is recruiting the following:

2023 Targets

Chloe Briggs, 5-11 CG, Ontario Christian HS (CA)
[offered July 2021]

Sayvia Sellers, 5-8 PG, Anchorage Christian School (AK)
[offered July 2021]

Miyah Verse, 6-1 F, Arizona Elite Prep (Gilbert, AZ)
offered November 20211

2024 Targets

Morgan Cheli, 6-0 CG, Archbishop Mitty HS (San Jose,
CA) offered October 2021]

Katie Fiso, 5-11 PG, Garfield HS (Seattle, WA) [offered
February 20211

Jordan Lee, 6-0 W, St. Mary's HS (Stockton, CA) [offered
April 2021]

Harper Peterson, 6-3 W/F, Whitney HS (Rocklin, CA)
[offered April 2021]

Tajianna Avant-Roberts, 5-9 SG, La Jolla Country Day
School (CA) offered November 2021]

Thanks for the update!

I thought I read somewhere that Rian Forestier, a 5'10 G from Texas, was also being recruited for 2024.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.