Bear's home winning streak might be in jeopardy vs St Marys tomorrow.

4,393 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HoopDreams
gljone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like Cal will be able to score. Several players have the ability to score in double figures. The key is going to be how are they going to defend. They locked down St Mary's in the Q2 - the Gaels never looked comfortable from then on. Charmin mentioned in the post game presser she went over the team's defensive standing with the players for the season so far...and the stats were not good.

Nice to see them hold a St Mary's team that was averaging close to 70 points per game to 55. It was good to see Daniels use her length and quickness on defense...and be attentive!

Interesting to note that the Bears had been relying on the 3s in the first part of the season...and today were only 2-8 but still put up 73 points. And Green didn't even play.

And these Bears have shot their FTs at a very good %...hope that keeps up!

It will be interesting to see how Curry reacts to being the focus point for the other team's defense. So far she has looked to score more rather than pass...this may have to change as other players will be open if the 'Curry gravity' comes into effect.

stu
Schroeder71 said:

... Maddy Holland has a 54.9 FG%, is a 47.1% 3 PT shooter, is a 100% on her free throws, is the Gael's 2nd best rebounder (4.1 per game) and statistically their best ball handler (20 assists vs 13 turnovers) ...
Today Maddy made 3 of 11 FG, 0 of 2 threes, and 5 of 8 FT. The rest of her stat line looked pretty good: 9 rebounds, 5 fouls drawn, 4 assists, 3 turnovers, 1 steal.

Much of that compares closely to Dalayah's 8 rebounds, 5 fouls drawn, 3 assists, and 2 turnovers. However Dalayah made 6 of 10 FG, 2 of 2 FT, and had 4 steals.

Schroeder71
Cal executed much better defense today than St Marys. Offensively-it was strange because the **bigs**(Schipholt & Daniels) dominated the game inside instead of the Bear's backcourt. Jayda Curry was off on her outside shooting today, clicking on only 33% of her attempts. Some of the shots were way off and couple were totally forced. She had a free throw (1 point) at halftime. Furthermore, Jazlen Green DNP today. She is the team's best three-point shooter so Cal didn't have a three-point field goal until the second half.

https://calbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2021-22/saint-marys-california-/boxscore/32977

The Bears did a great job on Taycee Wedin, the Gael's three-point bomber, holding her to two early threes and two free throws. Bamberger, their star post, struggled against Cal's frontline and got outplayed. Maddy Holland struggled shooting but got to the foul line often. She ended up as their second high scorer (11 points) and top rebounder (9 boards) on the afternoon.

The only defensive weakness that I noticed today was rebounding. Cal yielded 14 offensive rebounds and 12 second chance points to St Marys. The rebounding battle ended up in a tie today.

Cal will have to play games like this to win in the Pac 12. A 9-2 pre-season sounds like the precedent that this team had to set to believe in themselves. GO BEARS!

HoopDreams
Good post, and good observation about FT shooting

FTs win games and several players improved a lot from last year

gljone said:

Looks like Cal will be able to score. Several players have the ability to score in double figures. The key is going to be how are they going to defend. They locked down St Mary's in the Q2 - the Gaels never looked comfortable from then on. Charmin mentioned in the post game presser she went over the team's defensive standing with the players for the season so far...and the stats were not good.

Nice to see them hold a St Mary's team that was averaging close to 70 points per game to 55. It was good to see Daniels use her length and quickness on defense...and be attentive!

Interesting to note that the Bears had been relying on the 3s in the first part of the season...and today were only 2-8 but still put up 73 points. And Green didn't even play.

And these Bears have shot their FTs at a very good %...hope that keeps up!

It will be interesting to see how Curry reacts to being the focus point for the other team's defense. So far she has looked to score more rather than pass...this may have to change as other players will be open if the 'Curry gravity' comes into effect.

mbBear
ncbears said:

3Cats4CAL said:

Who is gone next year and who is new coming in ?
Jadyn Bush is a graduate transfer and likely gone. Sierra Richey is a grad student and likely gone.
I think Karisma Ortiz still can play next year if her grad program has a second year. (She is listed as a grad student - she has one year at Penn State, a redshirt transfer no play year at Texas and a COVID year at Texas, then this injury year, so she, technically, I think, has 3 years of eligibility. I just don't know how long she can stay a student!)

Amaya Bonner is the only signed commit at present, of which I am aware.
I'm a fan more than I am a solid follower, so I will ask: isn't it likely that some of the players who were getting close to or over 20 minutes a game last year, and now down to single digits, look to the portal after this season? Granted, a long ways to go for this season...
wvitbear
One of the things we don't know is their health. Some are starting to play more. Some just won't be in the picture so they may stay to get a degree. We have one scholarship player coming in who is a top40 player. we also have a preferred walkon that might get a scholarship if someone else leaves.
SFCALBear72
mbBear said:

ncbears said:

3Cats4CAL said:

Who is gone next year and who is new coming in ?
Jadyn Bush is a graduate transfer and likely gone. Sierra Richey is a grad student and likely gone.
I think Karisma Ortiz still can play next year if her grad program has a second year. (She is listed as a grad student - she has one year at Penn State, a redshirt transfer no play year at Texas and a COVID year at Texas, then this injury year, so she, technically, I think, has 3 years of eligibility. I just don't know how long she can stay a student!)

Amaya Bonner is the only signed commit at present, of which I am aware.
I'm a fan more than I am a solid follower, so I will ask: isn't it likely that some of the players who were getting close to or over 20 minutes a game last year, and now down to single digits, look to the portal after this season? Granted, a long ways to go for this season...
Doubtful. All of these young women love playing for Charmin and this coaching staff. You can tell by how they respond on the court and how they interact during open practices. The 20 minutes plus last season were out of necessity...only 7 healthy players.
CalFanatic
I hope Bush doesn't leave next year. However, if she does, i'd love to go 4 guards deep on the regular with Mastrov getting far more minutes.
Schroeder71
I hope that Michelle Onyiah gets more PT and plays well more consistently, Yesterday, for example, she played only 4 minutes while registering 3 personal fouls and was benched. Previously-she had two good games where she and Daniels looked like the best 2 posts. The slumping post had been Evelien Lutje-Schipholt until she went off vs Saint Marys.

I don't want Onyiah to use the transfer portal.
john1953
ncbears said:

and the Bears win. 73-55
Curry ends up with...18 (7-9 from the line)
ELS with 20 and 10 rebounds
Daniels with 14
Only 12 turnovers for the game.

Holland - the Gael's sharpshooter was not sharp/well defended. 11 points on 3-11 shooting and 0-2 from deep.
Taycee Wedin #4 is one of the top perimeter shooters in the WCC and they shut her down. You can see the young Bears defensive improvement EVERY game.
stu
CalFanatic said:

I hope Bush doesn't leave next year. However, if she does, i'd love to go 4 guards deep on the regular with Mastrov getting far more minutes.
I like playing 4 guards under the right circumstances. However going forward we'll be playing better teams with better interior players. I don't think any of our guards (except maybe Karisma) have the size and skills to be good post defenders and rebounders. If we're getting killed inside we'd have to make it up at the other end by bombing threes or by running on every possession (think LMU men under Paul Westhead). With Alma, Cailyn, Jazlen, and Karisma fighting injuries I'm not sure we have the depth to pull that off.
stu
Schroeder71 said:

I hope that Michelle Onyiah gets more PT and plays well more consistently, Yesterday, for example, she played only 4 minutes while registering 3 personal fouls and was benched.
I don't blame our coaches. At the rate of 3 fouls in 4 minutes a player is going to foul out in less than 3 more minutes. I think Michelle will become a great player for us but she'll have to learn to play without fouling so much.
MoragaBear
Staff
stu said:

Schroeder71 said:

I hope that Michelle Onyiah gets more PT and plays well more consistently, Yesterday, for example, she played only 4 minutes while registering 3 personal fouls and was benched.
I don't blame our coaches. At the rate of 3 fouls in 4 minutes a player is going to foul out in less than 3 more minutes. I think Michelle will become a great player for us but she'll have to learn to play without fouling so much.
I think there's a learning curve on both her side and the refs. Michelle's so strong and so physical that she has a lot of borderline calls go against her. She needs to know when to dial it back a little and the refs need to learn to adjust to her physical style of play and not be so whistle-happy with her. It's not middle school rec league.
wvitbear
Jazlen is close to 5'10" tall.

BOD is undefeated and playing well. Bonner has been playing well. I think they are or were in the Nike tourney.
wvitbear
How do we know Michele is healthy?
MoragaBear
Staff
CalFanatic said:

Right now the plan is for her to return next season. She has an extra season of eligibility.

Jaydn's a really smart player who does a lot of things well. They're usually better with her on the court, IMO.
stu
wvitbear said:

How do we know Michele is healthy?
Challenge her to a 1500 meter foot race. Good luck.
wvitbear
Not me. After surgery I can't walk 1500 . Rex
CalFanatic
wvitbear said:

BOD is undefeated and playing well. Bonner has been playing well. I think they are or were in the Nike tourney.
I saw Bonner dropped 32 against a good MC squad. Will take that!
HoopDreams
CalFanatic said:

wvitbear said:

I saw Bonner dropped 32 against a good MC squad. Will take that!
Bonner will be a very good addition next year
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.