Gabriela Jaquez the sleeper

2,276 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wasn't offered by UCLA until mid-July 21 (committed two weeks later). Only had 1 Pac-12 offer entering that summer. Just got MVP of west team at McD's AA and indeed looked like one of the more impressive players on the floor. Amazing.

I hope Cal was that 1 offer entering the summer!

https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/story/2022-04-02/ucla-bound-gabriela-jaquez-camarillo-girls-basketball-scholarship
stu
What chance would we have? Her brother is a big star on the UCLA men's team.
ClayK
Jaquez had one offer -- from Cal Baptist or something -- before playing with Cal Stars. At that point, she got seen and was immediately offered by UCLA, her dream school.

It's unfair to expect Charmin and staff to uncover hidden gems that every other P5 coach missed out on, but on the other hand, Jaquez is just the kind of player Cal needs to unearth and get to first. Girls and families do remember who talked to them first, and sometimes it does matter.

Bottom line, though, it would have been just luck to find Jaquez before Cal Stars, but sometimes you need to be lucky.

(As for Cal Stars, note that at one point during the Stanford-UConn game, there five players set up for a free throw (UConn had pulled its players back) and four had played for Cal Stars.)
wbbilluminati
Evina, Haley, Jump, Brink?
wbbilluminati
ClayK said:

Jaquez had one offer -- from Cal Baptist or something -- before playing with Cal Stars. At that point, she got seen and was immediately offered by UCLA, her dream school.

It's unfair to expect Charmin and staff to uncover hidden gems that every other P5 coach missed out on, but on the other hand, Jaquez is just the kind of player Cal needs to unearth and get to first. Girls and families do remember who talked to them first, and sometimes it does matter.

Bottom line, though, it would have been just luck to find Jaquez before Cal Stars, but sometimes you need to be lucky.

(As for Cal Stars, note that at one point during the Stanford-UConn game, there five players set up for a free throw (UConn had pulled its players back) and four had played for Cal Stars.)
I'm surprised Jaquez was considered a hidden gem, you'd think her stats and having an older brother starting at UCLA alone would get her looked at, plus her HS produces a lot of D1 athletes in different sports, and a recent walk-on for our women's bb team. Given we don't have many players outside of California, you'd think every nook and cranny in Northern California would be looked into. Jaquez had plenty of ink online too (ranked top 5 in California by that Prep Girls service for the longest time), was posted about on this board very early (maybe freshman year, and probably by me lol).

I thought Maybe UCLA didn't offer until later b/c they had a commitment form the New Yorker Paris Clark who ultimately de-committed and seemed to have really been in on household names not just nationally but internationally this year, but Cal does have that reach at least not right now.
Chabbear
Bryan Anger should talk to her about Cal as they are from the same high school!
dimitrig
Chabbear said:

Bryan Anger should talk to her about Cal as they are from the same high school!

We could probably use her on special teams.

annarborbear
Seems like she waited until her senior year to make a total commitment to basketball and to skills improvement. As noted, she then averaged 34 points and 15 rebounds per game in her final season. ESPN now has her as a five-star and the number 19th-ranked player in the country. UCLA is really loading up, including PG Kiki Rice, the number 2 ranked player in the country in this incoming class.
3Cats4CAL
So who is #2 under Stanford -UCLA or Oregon or?
annarborbear
3Cats4CAL said:

So who is #2 under Stanford -UCLA or Oregon or?
ESPN says it will be Arizona, who also has a top 10 recruiting class and who will additionally load up on the portal now that they have deep-sixed half of their bench. But UCLA is looking hugely talented as well with the people that they are bringing in. You now have to recruit nationally, land a top 10 recruiting class, bring in the best transfers, and then have reasonable coaching to have any chance at the upper level of the conference.
wbbilluminati
I'm surprised Oregon is ranked pre-season top 20. If healthy, a great backcourt tandem, but too many question marks. I don't expect much from Sedona Prince, I would almost call her an oversized wing. Just not effective inside despite size and mobility.

I didn't realize Arizona had 2 "super seniors" who will return in Reese and Pellington. THat'll help.
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

I'm surprised Oregon is ranked pre-season top 20. If healthy, a great backcourt tandem, but too many question marks. I don't expect much from Sedona Prince, I would almost call her an oversized wing. Just not effective inside despite size and mobility.

I didn't realize Arizona had 2 "super seniors" who will return in Reese and Pellington. THat'll help.
Raoul reports today that Arizona State grad transfer, Taya Hanson, a 5'10 guard, has committed to Oregon.
HoopDreams
Seems like Stanford, Arizona, Oregon and UCLA will be the elite of the conference for years

It's going to be extremely hard to compete with all four for years to come

We may have lost our window to be one of those teams
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

Seems like Stanford, Arizona, Oregon and UCLA will be the elite of the conference for years

It's going to be extremely hard to compete with all four for years to come

We may have lost our window to be one of those teams
We won the WNIT in 2010. Then went to the Final 4 in 2013. But, for whatever reason, we were not able to capitalize on that success and build momentum on the court, recruiting, etc. Then, LG walks away leaving it up to Charmin to re-build. Injuries, Covid are tough obstacles to overcome.

Arizona won the WNIT in 2019 and they've capitalized on it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.