Cailyn Crocker to Colorado State

2,420 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ashfield63
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As per Raoul:

Cal WBB grad transfer Cailyn Crocker (5-9 RS SO guard, Cypress, CA) has landed at Colorado State; played in 22 games in 2021-22, starting 12 and averaging 6.5 PPG in 24.6 MPG https://csurams.com/news/2022/5/17/womens-basketball-rams-sign-cal-transfer-cailyn-crocker.aspx
Schroeder71
Eight new players will join the Rams in Fort Collins: 3 freshmen & 5 transfers! Have fun, Cailyn Crocker!
wvitbear
Don't know about the academics but Fort Collins is a beautiful place. Saw a Cal football game there.

Is at the foot of the Rockies. About and hour plus to Rocky Mountain National Park.
SFCALBear72
wvitbear said:

Don't know about the academics but Fort Collins is a beautiful place. Saw a Cal football game there.

Is at the foot of the Rockies. About and hour plus to Rocky Mountain National Park.
I went to that Cal football game too. Folks in Fort Collins were very friendly and welcoming.
annarborbear
Since she will have an undergrad degree from Haas, it will be interesting to see what graduate program she will be in. Good strategy to pick up that second degree for free when given the opportunity.
ClayK
You wonder what kind of a career Crocker (and players like her) would have had if she hadn't gone P5. My guess is she's a three-year starter on a decent team and has a much more satisfying athletic experience.

Of course, she does have Cal degree, but the value of that is uncertain, though it is definitely more than Colorado State. Then again, she might have made $100,000 more playing in Europe if she'd had a great college career ...

There's not many people who are willing to tell a 17-year-old the truth about her ability, and in fact it's in a lot of people's interest to tell her she's better than she is. Unfortunate, but that's the way it is ...
annarborbear
ClayK said:

You wonder what kind of a career Crocker (and players like her) would have had if she hadn't gone P5. My guess is she's a three-year starter on a decent team and has a much more satisfying athletic experience.

Of course, she does have Cal degree, but the value of that is uncertain, though it is definitely more than Colorado State. Then again, she might have made $100,000 more playing in Europe if she'd had a great college career ...

There's not many people who are willing to tell a 17-year-old the truth about her ability, and in fact it's in a lot of people's interest to tell her she's better than she is. Unfortunate, but that's the way it is ...
A basketball player's career is one injury away from ending that career path. In Crocker's case, she has now had two serious injuries. Go with the Haas degree every time if you can get it.
ncbears
Well, I am with the Rocky Mountain Golden Bears, so since she is a graduate (and I don't think Cal plays against CSU in basketball) I will see if we will reach out to Crocker to come to some events! (including the football game in Boulder this year)
CalWSportsFan
So you play overseas for a few years…what then? A degree helps set one up for a career….pro basketball for most is not a career that will be long-lasting. It's shortsighted to believe otherwise. A graduate degree can help one further focus (and network). Seems like she will have some great options for her future.
mbBear
ClayK said:

"The value of that is uncertain." I have no idea what that means-relative to what the degree is in? What about her experience overall, and how Cal might have taught her read, write, and expand her thinking? And hey, I won't say that can't happen other places besides Cal, but as an alum, I will say that my experience was amazing, not related to what my degree "cashed out" to be...
The "athletic experience" is pretty broad-my nephew just finished his second year in D-III...he loves where he is at, all league academic kid, but you don't think he wouldn't have given anything to be at the P5 level, even with a sub-500 record? Women's basketball in the Pac-12: Crocker will never have to ask "what was it like to play against the best"....she did it.
And so, she was maybe told she was better than she was, but she was maybe good enough to make 100k in Europe? Any other scenario you want to cover?
wvitbear
Could wee get a testimony from Briner?
SFCALBear72
wvitbear said:

Could wee get a testimony from Briner?
Is this supposed to be funny? Three months in a Russian jail is no laughing matter.

Oh, by the way, her last name is Griner. First name, Brittney
wvitbear
Got the name wrong and no it is not funny. just saying playing overseas has its drawbacks.
ClayK
A couple points:

1) A degree in chemical engineering from Cal is extremely valuable. A degree in sociology or philosophy doesn't mean nearly as much. I don't know what she majored in, and it's certainly possible her Cal degree will pay off for her in the long run. It's also possible it won't.

2) Basketball (athletics) can be a career, especially for a woman of color, and playing professionally, even overseas, is like an advanced degree.

Of course no one knows what might happen, and it well could be that Crocker will benefit enormously from her Cal experience and Cal degree. Or, like me, the Cal degree could have zero impact on my career.
Rtkbear
In the post immediately prior to your first post it's mentioned that she has a degree from Haas which is one of the more lucrative degrees from Cal and far more valuable, certainly long term, than playing basketball overseas.
ClayK
A couple things:

1) I went to UCSB right out of college and learned little academically. I had to go back to the College of Alameda in the late '70s so I could get into Cal for philosophy. I learned more there than I did at Santa Barbara because I was much more engaged.

Of course I had great experiences at UCSB, but I think that's the age when we expand our horizons pretty much no matter where we are.

2) I've coached 25 or more Division I players, and probably the same amount at other levels. The D-III kids have absolutely loved their experience, even if they were D-1 caliber -- and similar players who went D-1 did not have the same satisfaction.

D-1, and especially P5, is a full-time job, and the college experience can be nil. I remember interviewing a WNBA player and asking her how she enjoyed college and the campus and the city. She said "I don't really know. All I did was go to class and go the gym."

Not saying that's typical, but I'm not convinced that the D-1 experience is in and of itself superior to D-II or D-III. And you can play against the best in pickup games.
wvitbear
Having played college sports myself, I wonder if it worth playing division I because of the time commitment. Was told in college that there are three things you could do. School, Social and athletics. You could do two but not three. Of course i tried to do all three. I got no academic help from the school and was a chemistry major. And it was a major challenge.

Half of the NBA players lose their fortune. They are under prepared to handle money. So why do you think women would handle money better when they make less. Even over seas. Why not go to school and study accounting or business, if you are going to have that money at an early age?
CalWSportsFan

Quote:

2) Basketball (athletics) can be a career, especially for a woman of color, and playing professionally, even overseas, is like an advanced degree.
Hmmm...

Maybe, just maybe, some women (of any race) would like to look beyond athletics and basketball for their future (despite loving and playing the game in college). I made the point she is getting an advanced degree....we have no clue what her future interests are and as I pointed out, a masters helps focus career options/choices. My daughter is currently getting hers and I'm amazed by all the connections she's making and job offers she's already had as a result, before even completing the program...Your discounting of one's educational choices and opportunities leave out the most important thing--the actual player's life goals. Many seeks scholarships so they can graduate debt-free and move into adulthood unencumbered and with degree in hand.

Also, your discounting of certain disciplines and degree value also ignore the some schools offer robust alumni networks, employment connections, etc. It's not the only factor in future success, but it's certainly not insignificant either particularly when one is just entering the workforce.
Ashfield63
There is no doubt in my mind Cailyn will succeed after college. She is an intelligent, and attractive leader. I have spoken to both Cailyn and her mother. They are engaging and dynamic individuals. I will miss her being part of Cal WBB, and that step back three pointer! I hope she can stay healthy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.