Pac-12

2,881 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by stu
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UCLA and USC gone?
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/30/pac-12-on-the-brink-usc-and-ucla-expected-to-seek-membership-in-the-big-ten/
ClayK
Women's basketball will do better than other sports, as long as powers Oregon, Arizona and Stanford don't bolt as well. But that said, it's hard to imagine Oregon sticking around. Stanford? I think the new Pac-? will be Cal, Stanford, the Arizonas, Colorado, Utah, Washington and Washington State. San Diego State and Fresno State would be good adds, as would Nevada and UNLV.

But if Stanford and Washington go, the equation changes dramatically.
stu
Why would the Arizonas hang around? I thought their reason for joining the Pac-12 was to be with USC and UCLA.

Someone on the men's board suggested (possibly facetiously) that Cal and Stanford join the Ivy League.
CalWSportsFan
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/college/article/Stanford-s-Tara-VanDerveer-calls-UCLA-USC-exit-17277984.php
WayneBear
CalFanatic
This makes me sick. All of this incredible west coast history for money.

So on brand for 2022.
Bobodeluxe
CalFanatic said:

This makes me sick. All of this incredible west coast history for money.

So on brand for 2022.
Why do you hate Murkuh?
bobbk

New offer. Check out her class However she is good already
FOXO1
I have a feeling 23 will be another small/slow recruiting year for Cal, but hope and think 24 could be a big one.

I don't mind, unless there's some intriguing international prospects for '23 we can scoop up
https://twitter.com/FOXO1gene
https://www.instagram.com/FOXO1gene/
Ucscbearfan
Losing UCLA/USC is a huge blow- the decline in football revenue will be crushing to all other sports at Cal. I assume that women's hoops is a money loser, so a reduced budget would be likely - with reduced coaching salaries and recruiting budget on the horizon. You'll see the SoCal schools, both of whom who already have beautiful practice facilities, paying their coaches (both head coaches and assistants) multiples of what Cal can pay and possibly flying their teams on chartered planes- doesn't set up well for future success.
mbBear
Ucscbearfan said:

Losing UCLA/USC is a huge blow- the decline in football revenue will be crushing to all other sports at Cal. I assume that women's hoops is a money loser, so a reduced budget would be likely - with reduced coaching salaries and recruiting budget on the horizon. You'll see the SoCal schools, both of whom who already have beautiful practice facilities, paying their coaches (both head coaches and assistants) multiples of what Cal can pay and possibly flying their teams on chartered planes- doesn't set up well for future success.
I would look for a reduced number of sports, vs. cutbacks in sports that will be a mainstay no matter what conference Cal ends up being with.
IF Cal somehow gets to be in Big 10, a commitment to the "key" (for lack of a better word) sports will be expected, and for something like football, maybe even put in writing...that has been speculated here and there...
ClayK
I really feel women's basketball will survive as it stands, as it will be pulled along with the men's team wherever Cal winds up.

But from a financial and educational standpoint, having the Olympic sports in a West Coast-only conference (or conferences) makes too much sense to ignore.
annarborbear
After being kicked in the teeth by UCLA and USC, I hope that we can return the favor by refusing to play them in Olympic sports, including women's basketball. Enjoy your plane rides.
stu
ClayK said:

I really feel women's basketball will survive as it stands, as it will be pulled along with the men's team wherever Cal winds up.
It it necessary for basketball to follow football (for either Cal or for UCLA/USC)?

And if our football team starts losing money can we sustain basketball?
calumnus
ClayK said:

But from a financial and educational standpoint, having the Olympic sports in a West Coast-only conference (or conferences) makes too much sense to ignore.

Agreed women's basketball is completely safe and is paired with men's basketball for conference, facilities, etc, and if looked at incrementally can even be a money earner with more wins and improved marketing.
wvitbear
The women have never shown a porfit. Even during our final four days. It depends on football and mens bball.
mbBear
stu said:

ClayK said:

It it necessary for basketball to follow football (for either Cal or for UCLA/USC)?

And if our football team starts losing money can we sustain basketball?

Well, the Big East certainly answers some of your speculation and/or hypothesis...teams without football, or like Villanova, I-AA football, where they happen to be competitive at that level pretty often, and a very lovely small stadium...but athletics, no doubt, are revenue based on basketball.
wvitbear
Different universities fund their programs different ways. Cal has a law that the teams should be funded by athletic revenues. Other schools take some money from the students. Either way, there is only a handful of schools in WBBall that pay for themselves. None in the Pac12. Unless Oregon broke thru.

Pac 12 rules state that all teams fund womens Bball and volleyball. So you are kind of stuck. No matter how much they lose.
bearchamp
Hard to imagine that Pac rules will survive if all the other changes anticipated with football come to pass. Olympic sports league will be able to fashion its own rules without football dependence.
HoopDreams
wvitbear said:

Different universities fund their programs different ways. Cal has a law that the teams should be funded by athletic revenues. Other schools take some money from the students. Either way, there is only a handful of schools in WBBall that pay for themselves. None in the Pac12. Unless Oregon broke thru.

Pac 12 rules state that all teams fund womens Bball and volleyball. So you are kind of stuck. No matter how much they lose.
Cal has a law? Really?
calumnus
wvitbear said:

Beyond Pac-12 rules is Title IX. Even schools that play only a few sports play men's and women's basketball.

The "profitability" of women's basketball depends on accounting. As I said, if viewed incrementally, with more wins and better marketing it could pay for it's true incremental costs (mostly coaching salaries and travel budget).

Cal has 28 teams. Most bring in almost zero revenue. Even if we go down to two teams, women's basketball will be one of them.

Just look at Bearinsider, the boards are:
1. Football
2. Men's Basketball
3. Women's Basketball
4. Baseball and Olympic Sports
Ucscbearfan
That makes sense-

The way I look at it is football and men's basketball should be treated as a BUSINESS- you invest in the business (through hiring top people (compensation), facilities (to generate revenue), marketing spend, etc) and you reap the rewards= PROFITS.

Unfortunately all of the other sports at Cal are different- they are essentially NON PROFITS- you invest in these to further causes or do good in the world (or in the case of college sports- to try to win conference and national titles). Cal has had some good success in some of these areas- where strong "non profit foundations" have been established to support individual teams missions (Swimming, Rugby, Crew, etc), The majority of other sports are not well supported and do not do particularly well.

For too long, Cal has not invested enough in their businesses and siphoned off way too much money to their non profits. This has greatly reduced Cal's position in the ever evolving college sports landscape. The folks interested in certain sports or causes need to really step up and provide a solid foundation for these sports in the near future, because it's clear that more money has to go into Football and Basketball to keep the whole department going.

ClayK
I think the equity issue will require that women's basketball be treated the same as the men in terms of conference alignment.

I'm curious, though, as to whether volleyball will be "paired" with football, and then all other sports are placed into regional conferences.
stu
ClayK said:

I think the equity issue will require that women's basketball be treated the same as the men in terms of conference alignment.

I'm curious, though, as to whether volleyball will be "paired" with football, and then all other sports are placed into regional conferences.
Would it be more appropriate to pair field hockey (fall sport with 31 athletes) with football? Do any other power football schools even have field hockey?
mbBear
stu said:

ClayK said:

Would it be more appropriate to pair field hockey (fall sport with 31 athletes) with football? Do any other power football schools even have field hockey?

https://nusports.com/news/2021/11/21/field-hockey-northwestern-topples-liberty-to-win-national-championship.aspx

2021 Field Hockey Standings
SCHOOL CONF
Iowa 7-1
Rutgers 6-2
Penn State 6-2
Michigan 5-3
Northwestern 5-3
Maryland 4-4
Indiana 2-6
Ohio State 1-7
Michigan State 0-8
Chabbear
Only Cal, Stanford and Davis play field hockey outside of the East and Midwest time zones. https://www.smarthlete.com/intercollegiate/divisions/ncaa-d1/womens-college-field-hockey

mbBear
Chabbear said:

Only Cal, Stanford and Davis play field hockey outside of the East and Midwest time zones. https://www.smarthlete.com/intercollegiate/divisions/ncaa-d1/womens-college-field-hockey

Right....I was answering the post, who asked if any P5 schools play the sport...
Cal Field Hockey was on it's last legs when Furd dropped the program....when they reinstated it, Cal had, at least in the short term, a reprieve.
IF Cal got to join the Big 10, it's one Olympic sport that might benefit a little...
stu
Could the Regents stop it?
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/07/15/pac-12-here-comes-newsom-governor-roasts-ucla-for-lack-of-transparency-in-big-ten-move-vows-regental-action/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.