Potential Portal Transfers

1,078 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FOXO1
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking ahead to this year's portal action, here is a list of the schools that landed players in last year's ESPN Top 30 Portal Transfer list:

1. Tennessee
2. Maryland
3. Texas
4. Georgia
5. Louisville
6. South Carolina
7. Louisville
8. Tennessee
9. Indiana
10. Tennessee
11. Indiana
12. Maryland
13. NC State
14. Arizona
15. Maryland
16. Miami
17. MIssissippi
18. Gonzaga
19. LSU
20. UConn
21. Georgia Tech
22. South Dakota State
23. Virginia
24. Oregon
25. South Florida
26. DePaul
27. Arkansas
28. Alabama
29. Georgia
30. Florida

In other words, the best portal players last year wanted to go someplace where they could win, and not just to a place that had playing time available. And of those 30 top portal transfers, only 3 were 6'3" or taller.

However, of course, anything can happen. Neither Sissoko nor Littleton were on that Top 30 list last year, and both ended up being All-PAC12 at USC. Nor was Pili who ended up being PAC12 Player of the Year at Utah. Daniels was also not on the list and ended up playing well at Washington.

I think our own best shot will be with grad transfers who will want to pick up an academic credential at Cal. But there will be fewer of them with eligibility left now that COVID waivers are over.
HoopDreams
annarborbear said:

Looking ahead to this year's portal action, here is a list of the schools that landed players in last year's ESPN Top 30 Portal Transfer list:

1. Tennessee
2. Maryland
3. Texas
4. Georgia
5. Louisville
6. South Carolina
7. Louisville
8. Tennessee
9. Indiana
10. Tennessee
11. Indiana
12. Maryland
13. NC State
14. Arizona
15. Maryland
16. Miami
17. MIssissippi
18. Gonzaga
19. LSU
20. UConn
21. Georgia Tech
22. South Dakota State
23. Virginia
24. Oregon
25. South Florida
26. DePaul
27. Arkansas
28. Alabama
29. Georgia
30. Florida

In other words, the best portal players last year wanted to go someplace where they could win, and not just to a place that had playing time available. And of those 30 top portal transfers, only 3 were 6'3" or taller.

However, of course, anything can happen. Neither Sissoko nor Littleton were on that Top 30 list last year, and both ended up being All-PAC12 at USC. Nor was Pili who ended up being PAC12 Player of the Year at Utah. Daniels was also not on the list and ended up playing well at Washington.

I think our own best shot will be with grad transfers who will want to pick up an academic credential at Cal. But there will be fewer of them with eligibility left now that COVID waivers are over.
5 star Pili transferred from USC to Utah with the change of coaches

I guess Lindsey kicks herself with what could have been

shows how a single player can completely transform a team, although you really need at least 2 star players to really move the needle.
stu
HoopDreams said:

shows how a single player can completely transform a team, although you really need at least 2 star players to really move the needle.
I'd say Utah was pretty good without Pili, better with.
FOXO1
HoopDreams said:

annarborbear said:

1. Tennessee
2. Maryland
3. Texas
4. Georgia
5. Louisville
6. South Carolina
7. Louisville
8. Tennessee
9. Indiana
10. Tennessee
11. Indiana
12. Maryland
13. NC State
14. Arizona
15. Maryland
16. Miami
17. MIssissippi
18. Gonzaga
19. LSU
20. UConn
21. Georgia Tech
22. South Dakota State
23. Virginia
24. Oregon
25. South Florida
26. DePaul
27. Arkansas
28. Alabama
29. Georgia
30. Florida

I actually heard that Pili (who played one season under LG though limited by injuries) did not leave USC because of LG but had some unspecified family or personal reasons she wanted to relocate.
https://twitter.com/FOXO1gene
https://www.instagram.com/FOXO1gene/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.