Tara VanDerveer

1,234 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by wifeisafurd
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Her retirement deserves at least its own thread:
https://gostanford.com/news/2024/4/9/womens-basketball-tara-vanderveer-announces-retirement-after-38-seasons-at-stanford.aspx

My guess is NIL and unrestricted transfers took a lot of the fun out of coaching at Stanford.
philbert
wow

3Cats4CAL
I respect Tara as the best coach ever but am super excited for her retirement! Now when will Geno do so as well? It'll be interesting to see how well Cal will be able to compete now with Stanford for recruits-I am thinking there still won't be much of a change for quite awhile.
ncbears
Also speculation she didn't want the cross-country travel as part of the ACC. Which suggests this was in the works for a while. [and why I joked that Knowlton knew this and that's why Smith was extended]

She was one of those who I had to admiringly "hate" because she was Stanford's coach. But, I had to admire her as a coach and a person and advocate for the game, It does not matter if Stanford gave he an advantage - she used that advantage.
annarborbear
45 seasons as a head coach. One losing season. 40 NCAA tournament appearances. Successful as a head coach right from the beginning at Idaho and Ohio State.
Bobodeluxe
That is one ugly jacket. Stanford obviously doesn't have a school of fashion design.
SFCALBear72
As per Raoul's WBB Blog:

"Negotiations are underway with Kate Paye, who played under VanDerveer from 1991-95 and has been a member of her staff for the past 17 seasons, to become VanDerveer's successor."
gljone
As much as I detest Stanford sports, I always have respected Tara. Dare I say I, even like her!

What a run!
wifeisafurd
ncbears said:

Also speculation she didn't want the cross-country travel as part of the ACC. Which suggests this was in the works for a while. [and why I joked that Knowlton knew this and that's why Smith was extended]

She was one of those who I had to admiringly "hate" because she was Stanford's coach. But, I had to admire her as a coach and a person and advocate for the game, It does not matter if Stanford gave he an advantage - she used that advantage.
Next Furd coach will be Kate Paye. Not exactly a secret. No exhaustive national search or whatever garbage term you hear AD's say to the media.
TomBear

I would not dismiss the opportunity for them to talk with Kellie Harper, former University of Tennessee coach either.
CalWSportsFan
Paye has been the understudy for nearly two decades. According the Stanford board she's a great X's and O's coach. I think it's the correct and logical move to put Paye in charge. Fans seem happy with it too. On to the ACC!
TomBear

You are very likely correct. I would have thought, though, that they would at least talk to Harper. But Paye may be so deeply ingrained that they will bypass that activity.
wifeisafurd
TomBear said:

You are very likely correct. I would have thought, though, that they would at least talk to Harper. But Paye may be so deeply ingrained that they will bypass that activity.
Ingrained is right. Her dad was a starting running back. Her brother was a starting Furd quarterback and starting point guard beginning as a freshman, and actually coached Pate as the coach of her high school team, following his short NIL career.

Pate also played for TVD, first as a walk on and then earning a scholie. She has been the understudy for some time as already pointed out. She earned a JD/MBA from Furd while plauing pro ball. She is a long time speaker at Furd alum events. Done deal. Meet Tara VanDerveer's Stanford successor: Kate PayeThe Athletichttps://theathletic.com 2024/04/10 stanford-tara-van...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.