Recruit

3,929 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by ClayK
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?

SFCALBear72
Class of 2026. #1 ranked in State of Washington. 4.0 gpa.
Schroeder71
When I initially saw this post, I thought that Cal had a verbal commit. Heck-she's got tons of offers and will have more after her junior and senior seasons. I don't understand the excitement of offering a sophomore in high school. What am I missing? Did all of her relatives attend Cal?
Bobodeluxe
Schroeder71 said:

When I initially saw this post, I thought that Cal had a verbal commit. Heck-she's got tons of offers and will have more after her junior and senior seasons. I don't understand the excitement of offering a sophomore in high school. What am I missing? Did all of her relatives attend Cal?
Purple shoes.
HoopDreams
Excitement?

Schroeder71 said:

mbBear
Schroeder71 said:

They are just trying to avoid criticism of being "asleep at the switch."
Schroeder71
mbBear-LOL totally appropriate here!
sosheezy
I have seen her highlights on X/IG for two years now. She's been an incredible player even as a freshman. Her shooting is so phenomenally pure for her age. Not sure about her explosiveness/athleticism being elite, but very crafty with the ball. Glad Cal is on it.
ClayK
She's really good ... would be a great get for Cal, which needs a star badly.

But money talks right now, and she'll get a lot.
SFCALBear72
Besides Cal, she now has offers from Stanford, Oregon, Arizona, Colorado, Michigan, Iowa State and Columbia.
wbbilluminati
sosheezy said:

I have seen her highlights on X/IG for two years now. She's been an incredible player even as a freshman. Her shooting is so phenomenally pure for her age. Not sure about her explosiveness/athleticism being elite, but very crafty with the ball. Glad Cal is on it.
Yes, a smaller guard who isn't the most athletic, but can score the ball. Reminded me a bit of Jayda Curry in that regard,
wbbilluminati

2026 #20 ranked out of South Dakota
Intuit
SFCALBear72
Add Cal to that long list of schools.

Ashlyn Koupal (ESPNW No. 20)
Wagner HS (South Dakota) | Sanford Sports P24

Koupal had a breakout spring on the club circuit. A 6-2 wing with all the fundamental skills, she makes plays all over the floor in a variety of ways. She shows the ability to spot up for the 3, post up, and facilitate on offense where the game clearly makes sense to her. Most noticeably, she moves really well without the ball and is economical with her dribbles. There will be some adjustment as her rise will find her with opportunities to be on more elite floors in the near future, as well as the jump up to the 17U level providing some physical challenges. She has the tools to adjust accordingly and continue her rise in the ranks, however.

Her recruitment has expanded since April and includes: North Carolina, Nebraska, Indiana, Kansas, Utah, Creighton, Wisconsin, Colorado, South Dakota, Arkansas, TCU, Georgia Tech, Alabama, Utah, and Minnesota.
SFCALBear72
I think we should reach out to this 2026 Post player.

Emilia Krstevski (ESPNW No. 25)
Sierra Canyon HS (California) | Cal Storm Team Taurasi EYBL

As it goes with most improving bigs, Krstevski has gone from potential because of size and moderate mobility, to legitimate prospect with skills and physical prowess. She carves out space for post-ups and rebounds inside and finishes well with a nice touch at the rim. She has range out to the e-point line as well. As her game continues to refine, her left hand usage in and around the rim and paint should grow along with an improved free throw percentage overall. One of the more intriguing observations made this spring is Krstevski's lateral movement -- outstanding given her stature. Post players are a premium, and she is one of the best in the country.

Her recruitment includes: Ohio State, Arizona State, Iowa, Oklahoma, Purdue, and UCLA.
ClayK
It's highly likely Cal has reached out to every top recruit, and made it clear they are interested.

But consider this list:

Ohio State, Arizona State, Iowa, Oklahoma, Purdue, and UCLA.

Where would Cal rank if your focus was on your basketball career?
SFCALBear72
ClayK said:

It's highly likely Cal has reached out to every top recruit, and made it clear they are interested.

But consider this list:

Ohio State, Arizona State, Iowa, Oklahoma, Purdue, and UCLA.

Close to the top among these contenders.

Why not learn from a coach who actually played in the WNBA and who coached and sent a talented post player to the league (Kristine Anigwe). Bonus: An excellent college education and degree that will open doors anywhere.
Schroeder71
This discussion is similar to the football discussion on the premium board. Cal football has only been able to recruit three-star players as preps. The strength of their recruiting has been the transfer portal. Once they begin winning, they should be able to upgrade their high school recruiting.

Charmin Smith was able to produce Cal's best season under her tenure based upon four quality transfers. They also have a solid four-member 2024 high school class coming in the fall with two players rated #52 and #76 nationally.

This year the transfer portal is not as impressive with three *non-starter* guards. Last year, CS brought in Ioanna Krimili, McKayla Williams & Ila Lane who were starters (w/ two all-conference). The fourth player, Marta Suarez, had only played one season for Tennessee and emerged as the team's second leading scorer and rebounder. In other words, she hit the jackpot!

Hopefully, soph LuLu Twidale plus freshmen Lola Donez, Zahra King & Kamryn Mafua can contribute more and fill the gap offensively. Actually, the third transfer, Gisella Maul, is only a sophomore, too. She seems to possess the most offensive upside of the transfer trio. Basically, the team will have more question marks entering next season. Although the Bears may be improved defensively, I'm concerned with where the points & rebounding will come from...

It should be an interesting year entering the ACC...
GO BEARS!
HoopDreams
ESPN just released their final top 25 recruiting rankings

Cal came in at #22
Finnish Oski
Quote:

I suppose the roundabout answer is 22nd in the country.
Schroeder71
HoopDreams:

Cal is ranked the 8th recruit class in the ACC (out of 18).
Louisville (#6)
Duke (#7)
Ga Tech (12)
UNC (15)
NC State (17)
Miami (18)
Stanford (19)
Cal (22)
annarborbear
NIL has now changed everything. It is not only the NIL you initially receive, but you can also get more in the future if you play well on a high visibility winning team. There is a reason that Charisma Osborne stayed an extra year at UCLA instead of going to the WBNA. And there is a reason that all of the good posts in the portal this year went to winning teams. I am afraid that this trend will now become even more pronounced in the future.

Here are the combined players that USC and UCLA signed this year out of the portal:

Kiki Iriafen
Talia von Oelhoffen
Charise Leger-Walker
Timea Gardiner
Janiah Barker (Texas A&M)

We really do have to get back to the NCAA tournament this year to compete in this new world.
mbBear
HoopDreams said:

ESPN just released their final top 25 recruiting rankings

Cal came in at #22

I think any time a team recruits better than their "final" season ranking, then it's a win.
CalWSportsFan
I'd choose to play in a state where I have rights to bodily autonomy..,so that limits things a bit eh?
wbbilluminati
Nina Cain the top 2025 from NorCal is probably a top priority for us. I don't believe Stanford is recruiting her though she is a 4.0+ student currently ranked #69 by ESPN, a 6'1" athletic wing.
wbbilluminati
https://x.com/BrooklynnCharlo

for this 2025 we actually appear to be her top offer so far
ClayK
She would be a great get. Athletic wing, decent three-point shooter.

Hope Charmin can close on her.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.