Fever vs. Sparks

2,486 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by mbBear
scottmcafee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody else catch the game last night? I found having Layshia, Cameron Brink, and Caitlin Clark on the floor at the same time to be weirdly disorienting. Sadly I had to miss the fourth quarter.
ClayK
It was an interesting game. Clarendon only took one shot and made it while Lexie Brown jacked up horrible shots and missed them all.

Cameron Brink will be very good once she figures out the difference between a dumb foul and a smart one. That may take until 2030, though.

Rickea Jackson and NaLyssa Smith can't guard a parked car. Even if they double-teamed it.

Caitlin Clark missed her first seven threes and then nailed two daggers in the final two minutes. Despite her struggles, she's the real deal.
Ashfield63
scottmcafee said:

Anybody else catch the game last night? I found having Layshia, Cameron Brink, and Caitlin Clark on the floor at the same time to be weirdly disorienting. Sadly I had to miss the fourth quarter.

The last six minutes of the fourth quarter was very exciting. Caitlin Clark made two long step-back 3's, the 2nd at 40 seconds left in the game, and sealed the victory for the Fever's first win. Cameron Brink played well, but fouled out of the game. The ref's are a little tough on her in my opinion. Layshia played great defense against Caitlin Clark throughout the entire first half. The Sparks dominated the first half of the game. There should be highlights of the game on You-Tube. I have the WNBA Leauge Pass app on my phone for $34.99 for the year! It has highlights too!
GGV
SFCALBear72
Coach Smith posted on Instagram that she would be going to the game wearing her Valkyries sweatshirt.
And, of course, to see Layshia play.

I saw online that Klay Thompson was also there.
HoopDreams
Caitlin is also not getting the foul calls she's used to in college, but she seems to be adjusting fast

She will be a WNBA star
mbBear
HoopDreams said:

Caitlin is also not getting the foul calls she's used to in college, but she seems to be adjusting fast

She will be a WNBA star
I watched a little, and have watched a few other of her games. I think it's a shame that the WNBA season is so close to the end of the college season/year, because there is zero time for physical development and adjustment.
Clark with another 10 pounds or whatever and just overall strength definitely puts her further down that path that you are talking about....
HoopDreams
I've never paid attention to WNBA before except to occasionally check in on former Cal players, but was surprised to hear the Fever played 5 games in 10 days

Given the extra physicality and the need to get stronger and then add in the crazy schedule, I'm surprised any of the rookies can get out of bed in the morning

mbBear said:

HoopDreams said:

She will be a WNBA star
I watched a little, and have watched a few other of her games. I think it's a shame that the WNBA season is so close to the end of the college season/year, because there is zero time for physical development and adjustment.
Clark with another 10 pounds or whatever and just overall strength definitely puts her further down that path that you are talking about....
graguna
I'm glad women's basketball is blowing up. I love basketball. The more the better
It's still hard to believe that this year far more people watched the women's final than the mens
I credit 30% of that to the development of the game and 70% to Caitlin Clark
ClayK
And what's sad, in a way, is that it's pretty clear the WNBA already had more than few players at Clark's level.

Yes, she'll get better and very likely be a star, but she's not close to the best player in the league. We'll see if they put her on the Olympic team ahead of Sabrina, Jackie Young and others who are elite talents who've paid their dues.
mbBear
ClayK said:

And what's sad, in a way, is that it's pretty clear the WNBA already had more than few players at Clark's level.

Yes, she'll get better and very likely be a star, but she's not close to the best player in the league. We'll see if they put her on the Olympic team ahead of Sabrina, Jackie Young and others who are elite talents who've paid their dues.
If she is on the Olympic team, more people will watch women's basketball during the Games. Not going out on a limb with that one...so, that represents another opportunity for growth.
And maybe the whole "experience" thing wins out, and maybe the Committee doesn't want her to be in the middle of that controversy, and that's fine too.

oski003
ClayK said:

Sabrina and her can both be on the Olympic Team. She is not currently close to the best player in the league but will likely be soon. It is not fair that she had no off-season and then the WNBA scheduled her team, which won 13 games all of last year, against the best teams in the WNBA right off the bat. It is almost as if they are purposefully trying to show the rest of the league is as good as she is.
BearBint
Another take on the C.C. uproar: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/may/27/caitlin-clark-toxic-fans-wnba-derangement-syndrome

I'm very glad Clark's popularity is shining so much light on the women's game, but some of the W's fans-come-lately are pretty clueless. And then there's the camera drooling all over her during games ("Wow--Caitlin reacts to a Fever shot she had nothing to do with!"). Paige Bueckers got a lot of that, too; at least it tends to calm down after the player's rookie year.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
BearBint
Quote:

It is not fair that she had no off-season and then the WNBA scheduled her team, which won 13 games all of last year, against the best teams in the WNBA right off the bat. It is almost as if they are purposefully trying to show the rest of the league is as good as she is.
Angel Reese and all the other rookies didn't have an off-season, either. I really doubt the scheduling reflects any malice on the part of the WNBA; Clark's attracting lots of attention to the league, and attendance is way up. Who were Indiana going to play who wouldn't be at least somewhat better than a team that's been at or near the bottom of the league since Tamika Catchings retired about 7 years ago? Indiana's last season saw improvement, and when the current players have coalesced into a real team, this season will likely be even better.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
oski003
BearBint said:

Quote:

It is not fair that she had no off-season and then the WNBA scheduled her team, which won 13 games all of last year, against the best teams in the WNBA right off the bat. It is almost as if they are purposefully trying to show the rest of the league is as good as she is.
Angel Reese and all the other rookies didn't have an off-season, either. I really doubt the scheduling reflects any malice on the part of the WNBA; Clark's attracting lots of attention to the league, and attendance is way up. Who were Indiana going to play who wouldn't be at least somewhat better than a team that's been at or near the bottom of the league since Tamika Catchings retired about 7 years ago? Indiana's last season saw improvement, and when the current players have coalesced into a real team, this season will likely be even better.

The Fever's opponents have a combined record of 25-12 this season. Their first 4 games were against teams with a 59-21 record last season, all top 3 out of 12 teams. They could play the other 8 teams. It is idiotic scheduling.
ClayK
I think the WNBA consciously put Indiana on TV as often as possible early to take full advantage of Clark before the reality set in that she's just another good player right now. The ratings and attendance have proved them right.,

Indiana isn't very good, which is why they got her in the first place, and she doesn't make them significantly better.

As for the Olympics, the key for me is that the Olympics are the pinnacle of basketball for women, unlike the men, and the competition for those 12 spots is brutal. Jackie Young, say, or Sabrina, may never have another chance to play in the Olympics while Clark probably will in 2028. To deny a player a chance at the ultimate goal of women's basketball to help ratings a little seems like the wrong thing to me.
HoopDreams
Not commenting about Olympics, but about her popularity

I follow Cal WBB, but not the WNBA

Kobe Bryant wasn't the best player in the NBA early but he was a clear elite talent and had a huge fan following

I don't recall a college WBB who played with such an exciting style before. There might have been better players before her but none I know who are more fun to watch in the same way I like watching Curry more than 3X MVP Jokic.

ClayK said:

And what's sad, in a way, is that it's pretty clear the WNBA already had more than few players at Clark's.
RedlessWardrobe
oski003 said:

BearBint said:

Quote:

The Fever's opponents have a combined record of 25-12 this season. Their first 4 games were against teams with a 59-21 record last season, all top 3 out of 12 teams. They could play the other 8 teams. It is idiotic scheduling.
Okay, let me get this straight. We are analyzing the WNBA schedule and have concluded that it is idiotic based on:
One team in the league
The first four games of the schedule

I'm not really a WNBA fan but my guess is that by the time the season ends, every team will still play all of the other teams they're supposed to play - for the predetermined correct amount of games.

Let me say, I watched Caitlin Clark play several games this year and she's one of the greatest college players ever. From what I've seen she's a great player and a solid citizen. Recently I heard many people on both broadcast media and social media claiming Caitlin was getting all of this attention because she was white. Initially I thought this was just the usual stuff that comes up in this era in which anything can be an issue, and I thought there was no basis for the theory.

After the last couple of weeks, I have changed my mind. The endless coverage of everything this athlete does is exasperating. Again, no disrespect to Caitlin herself, but really enough already.

oski003
RedlessWardrobe said:

oski003 said:

BearBint said:

Quote:

Okay, let me get this straight. We are analyzing the WNBA schedule and have concluded that it is idiotic based on:
One team in the league

I'm not really a WNBA fan but my guess is that by the time the season ends, every team will still play all of the other teams they're supposed to play - for the predetermined correct amount of games.

Let me say, I watched Caitlin Clark play several games this year and she's one of the greatest college players ever. From what I've seen she's a great player and a solid citizen. Recently I heard many people on both broadcast media and social media claiming Caitlin was getting all of this attention because she was white. Initially I thought this was just the usual stuff that comes up in this era in which anything can be an issue, and I thought there was no basis for the theory.

After the last couple of weeks, I have changed my mind. The endless coverage of everything this athlete does is exasperating. Again, no disrespect to Caitlin herself, but really enough already.

The Fever's schedule is idiotic based on the facts I provided, nothing of which you refute.
RedlessWardrobe
oski003 said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

oski003 said:

BearBint said:

Quote:

One team in the league

The Fever's schedule is idiotic based on the facts I provided, nothing of which you refute.
I think you're missing my point. The issue is not the Indiana Fever's basketball schedule and whether I can refute it. I want to know, what is the relevance of the Indiana Fever's basketball schedule on a Cal Bears Women's Basketball site and what is it doing here?
oski003
RedlessWardrobe said:

oski003 said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

oski003 said:

BearBint said:

Quote:

One team in the league

I think you're missing my point. The issue is not the Indiana Fever's basketball schedule and whether I can refute it. I want to know, what is the relevance of the Indiana Fever's basketball schedule on a Cal Bears Women's Basketball site and what is it doing here?

If that is your opinion, don't read it and certainly don't comment on it.
RedlessWardrobe
oski003 said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

oski003 said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

oski003 said:

BearBint said:

Quote:

One team in the league

If that is your opinion, don't read it and certainly don't comment on it.
So now I'm being told by you not to read or make any comments on the subject.
Have you been appointed the Commissioner of the Bear Insider? If you don't like my opinion you should be able to disagree with it, it's all good. Say whatever you think, but you are not extended the right to tell another poster not to comment.

If the Indiana Fever's opening four games is an important issue to you, so be it. All my take is, as a Cal fan it is something that would be irrelevant to me, maybe even other Cal fans as well. And unless I missed something, if a team in any sport has a disfavorable opening schedule, ultimately it evens out and by season's end it is fair to all participants.

SFCALBear72
oski003 said:

BearBint said:

Quote:

The Indiana Fever knew since last season that they had the #1 pick this season (second year in a row). And for them, Clark made the most sense as their choice.

Don't you think that TV/online streaming played a huge role in determining the Fever's schedule this season to take advantage of all the attention Clark was receiving in college?? I wouldn't bet against it. Match her against the league's top teams to see how she does.
oski003
RedlessWardrobe said:

oski003 said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

oski003 said:

BearBint said:

Quote:

One team in the league

They are both women's basketball at a high level. Yw.
mbBear
ClayK said:

I think the WNBA consciously put Indiana on TV as often as possible early to take full advantage of Clark before the reality set in that she's just another good player right now. The ratings and attendance have proved them right.,

Indiana isn't very good, which is why they got her in the first place, and she doesn't make them significantly better.

As for the Olympics, the key for me is that the Olympics are the pinnacle of basketball for women, unlike the men, and the competition for those 12 spots is brutal. Jackie Young, say, or Sabrina, may never have another chance to play in the Olympics while Clark probably will in 2028. To deny a player a chance at the ultimate goal of women's basketball to help ratings a little seems like the wrong thing to me.
Well, even for men, we have seen (since the original Dream Team) that it's a cherished spot, and no one is "taking a pass" on going, which was a popular theory that would happen when Pros were allowed to compete.
But back to the key talking point: I don't disagree with your preference of the women's team selection parameters. And I don't think NBC has that kind of influence on the selection process to change it.
Only a "few ratings" points for the games specifically? Maybe true, and some of that is how it gets played out by NBC, which NBC outlet they appear on etc. Overall awareness and media coverage of the team? I think significantly more if Clark is there.
Again, I'm happy if the "truly the top 12" process works out, and right, Clark might be in the next 2 Olympics anyway.......we will see.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.