For those who are interested in pro WBB, this weekend is the WNBA All-Stars

1,020 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by BearBint
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tonight, Saturday, 5:00, PDT, is the WNBA's annual All-Stars game on ABC:

https://www.wnba.com/news/all-star-2024-selections

"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
SFCALBear72
Very entertaining game!

Arike Ogunbowale had a phenomenal 2nd half!!
stu
Allisha Gray had an impact off the bench with 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 steals, and 9 of 10 free throws.
BearBint
stu said:

Allisha Gray had an impact off the bench with 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 steals, and 9 of 10 free throws.
I wish commentators had mentioned that she has an Olympic medal (gold) for 3x3 in the 2020 games. (So do Stefanie Dolson, Kelsey Plum and Jackie Young.) I had never watched 3x3 before; it is exciting and lots of fun.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
HoopDreams
stu said:

Why did you point her out?
Does she have some Cal connection?
HoopDreams
First WNBA All Star game I've seen. Puts men's game to shame which is all playground play with zero defense

The women were actually playing to win

Arike went absolutely ballistic

CC had 10 assists (record was 11) but missed every shot (except 2 layups). Disappointing game for her.

Angel played great on both ends with a double double

USA team embarrassed although their stars put up good stats

I didn't know who Arike was until 2nd half of this game but it was probably the best 2nd half performance in WNBA history

Why was she left off Olympic team?

SFCALBear72 said:

Very entertaining game!

SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

First WNBA All Star game I've seen. Puts men's game to shame which is all playground play with zero defense

CC had 10 assists (record was 11) but missed every shot (except 2 layups). Disappointing game for her.

I didn't know who Arike was until 2nd half of this game but it was probably the best 2nd half performance in WNBA history

SFCALBear72 said:

Very entertaining game!

Arike is Jaelyn Brown's teammate on the Dallas Wings.

From LA Times:

"Ogunbowale has been in the U.S. national team pool for the last two Olympics but didn't make the roster either time. She pulled her name out of the pool of players early this time around saying the whole process was political."
mbBear
HoopDreams said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Very entertaining game!

Agree completely on all fronts!
Hate to beat a dead horse, but again, the "Clark isn't really good as most of the Olympians" got a little bit more stale tonight. The "needs the ball in her hands" comments should now be reading "we want the ball in her hands"....her passing and assists continue to be impressive....
I switched over to the game because of Caitlin Clark. I have never watched a WNBA All Star game before. The ratings for the game will be interesting, but the fact that it was on ABC speaks volumes for the sport.

HoopDreams
Agree and CC had only 2 TOs

That's a 5-1 TO ratio

mbBear said:

HoopDreams said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Very entertaining game!

Agree completely on all fronts!
Hate to beat a dead horse, but again, the "Clark isn't really good as most of the Olympians" got a little bit more stale tonight. The "needs the ball in her hands" comments should now be reading "we want the ball in her hands"....her passing and assists continue to be impressive....
I switched over to the game because of Caitlin Clark. I have never watched a WNBA All Star game before. The ratings for the game will be interesting, but the fact that it was on ABC speaks volumes for the sport.

stu
HoopDreams said:

stu said:

No Cal connections that I know of. I mentioned her because I thought those looked like game winning stats.
HoopDreams
Got it

Certainly other contributed

Anike went crazy in 2nd half, many times with tough defended shots

Others contributed but it was one of the single best performance I've seen in a half men's and women's

stu said:

HoopDreams said:

stu said:

No Cal connections that I know of. I mentioned her because I thought those looked like game winning stats.
bear2034
HoopDreams said:

First WNBA All Star game I've seen.
Me too.
bear2034
mbBear said:

I switched over to the game because of Caitlin Clark. I have never watched a WNBA All Star game before.
Me too.
BearBint
HoopDreams said:

stu said:

No. I imagine because she's one of those pro players who is not a household word (unless you follow women's pro basketball), but who is very talented, and underestimated. Players like Gray make a team run and succeed.
BearBint
mbBear said:

HoopDreams said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Very entertaining game!

The ratings for the game will be interesting, but the fact that it was on ABC speaks volumes for the sport.

As I recall, the W's all-stars game has been on ABC for years. I do like their newish format of pitting all stars vs. the current USA team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.