OT - NIL

900 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by CalWSportsFan
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A Stanford softball player just transferred to Texas Tech with a 7-figure NIL deal:
https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/stanford-star-lured-texas-tech-nil-deal-19596449.php

I suppose this is good for women's sports in general but somehow revenue will need to rise to cover deals like this.
CalWSportsFan
I don't think it's good for college sports. It's actually ridiculous. Create a pro league and pay big bucks. How about leaving college for student athletes? Yeah, I know I'm old fashioned….that ship has sailed. :-(
ClayK
CalWSportsFan said:

I don't think it's good for college sports. It's actually ridiculous. Create a pro league and pay big bucks. How about leaving college for student athletes? Yeah, I know I'm old fashioned….that ship has sailed. :-(
I think you'll get your wish, in a way. I think the superconference will be professional, and those schools that don't make the top 48 will either return to the previous scholarship model, or all opt to go the Ivy League/D3 route.

Cal's on the bubble of the superconference now, it seems.
calbear80
CalWSportsFan said:

+1
mbBear
CalWSportsFan said:

They also said that when Titanic left port. I certainly don't know how this will all turn out, but don't believe that in 10 years, maybe even less, that it's going to look like it does now.
Yep, old school here too...
CalWSportsFan
I'm already an Ivy fan (former athlete) and D3 fan so guess I'm set. ;-)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.