Recruiting Momentum Needed

6,740 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFCALBear72
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There are a lot of reasons to want to win second round games this year in both the PAC12 and NCAA tournaments. But perhaps the biggest reason is to get some recruiting momentum going for 2019. Looking at the player rankings for 2019, it is not going to be a great year for Nor Cal and the Bay Area, with Haley Jones already committed to Stanford. So we are going to have to go out of the area, including out of state, for the players we need for 2019. That will be much easier if we have regained the image of a program capable of being a top 20 team in the country, versus only a mid-level PAC12 team. So these tournament games are going to be taking on added importance.
BearBint
Does anyone know whether Cal is recruiting much abroad? Wouldn't it be nice to find a younger Marie Gulich somewhere overseas?
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
kc1121
Did Jones commit there too? Thought it was Hannah Jump
wvitbear
When did Haley commit? I know Jump did.
annarborbear
You are right. ESPN shows Jones still uncommitted.
CalFanatic
We are severely, severely lacking in posts. We could still snag a top 10 recruiting class by landing only NorCal Talent talent in Jones, Jackson (fingers crossed), and Ila Lane/ De'Ja Bryant.

I wonder if LG is recruiting that very, very talented player from NZ? The 16 year old guard we played against. She was awesome.
wvitbear
Exactly my thoughts Calfanatic. i would think if we recruited a foreign player it would be from New Zealand or Australia. since we took our trip there.

Would like Jackson thought she is not a game changer. We have stiff competition for Jones. Am not optimistic. The mystery to me is are we recruiting Ry'an Walters of Scaramento.
ricehntr5
CalFanatic said:

We are severely, severely lacking in posts. We could still snag a top 10 recruiting class by landing only NorCal Talent talent in Jones, Jackson (fingers crossed), and Ila Lane/ De'Ja Bryant.

I wonder if LG is recruiting that very, very talented player from NZ? The 16 year old guard we played against. She was awesome.
Ila Lane will not be a good fit for the pac 12 imo.

And as others stated, it was Hannah Jump from Pinewood who committed to Stanford. I thought it was interesting last night when Tara showed up for the Mitty game to watch HJ, but didn't come to watch Hannah Jump who played the game right before... and yes Cal was there too
wbbilluminati
6'4" Ila Lane doesn't have any Pac-12 offers. She has offers from mid-majors like UCSB. Said to be a good student and still talking with Stanfordpossibly to walk on? Maybe ends up at an Ivy.

Ali Bamberger 6'3" at Carondelet is close behind Angel Jackson in the rankings (and was actually ahead of her not long ago). Looks like Cal is not recruiting her, but UW, USC, Utah, & Colorado might be. Not Jayne Appel but pretty mobile for her size. Kind of has a scrappy style of play.

Da'ja Bryant 6'4" Modesto Christian has fallen in NorCal Preps rankings. Doubt Cal will recruit her. Thought she looked more polished than Ila Lane, though. Both big and strong but not terribly athletic and will need to get into better shape.

JaQuaya Miller 6'3" from Washington state. I suspect Miller and Jackson are the two post players we are recruiting from this class, and Miller is the more coveted of the two. Could be a McDonald's All-American, though not the upside Anigwe had.

Angel Jackson 6'5" has actually gotten looks from UConn, but 2019 is not a strong post class.

I'm also curious about Ry'Anne Walters 5'7" PG from Sacramento. Ranked #73 by Prospects Nation. But no indication that Cal is recruiting her. And I wouldn't be surprised if LG holds out for Te-Hina Paopao from San Diego in the following class. She's a top 10 player.

Kemery Martin 5'10" from Utah is ranked #23 by Prospects Nation and #56 by Hoopgurlz. Said to be an elite shooter, but might even be an overall better guard than Jump. LG follows her on Twitter, which is a good sign, but she's a new name.

Cailyn Crocker 5'8" was offered early. Plays for Mater Dei now. Very quick guard. Seems to get out in transition, like former UCLA guard who also transferred to Mater Dei in HS, Nirra Fields.

Alexis Tucker 5'11" is ranked a bit higher. I don't know much about her other than that she was offered early as well. Is she like a Jaelyn Brown-type?

Our verbal form Oklahoma, Lauren Fields, now ranked #93 by Prospects Nation. She looks like she's a good shooter.

Charisma Osborne 5'9" has been spotted at Stanford recently. I have a feeling she, Haley Jones, and the dunking sensation from Colorado, Fran Belibi, are all very high on Stanford. Belibi narrowed her choices to Stanford, Notre Dame, Harvard, and Princeton. I believe UConn has offered Haley Jones and is recruiting her hard.

Looking ahead, there's an intriguing 6'5" freshman now at Kianna Smith's alma mater, Troy. Named Endigo Parker. Slender but athletic, like an Oderah Chidom.
puget sound cal fan
Thanks all for the compilation and breakdown.
HoopDreams
wbbilluminati said:

6'4" Ila Lane doesn't have any Pac-12 offers. She has offers from mid-majors like UCSB. Said to be a good student and still talking with Stanfordpossibly to walk on? Maybe ends up at an Ivy.

Ali Bamberger 6'3" at Carondelet is close behind Angel Jackson in the rankings (and was actually ahead of her not long ago). Looks like Cal is not recruiting her, but UW, USC, Utah, & Colorado might be. Not Jayne Appel but pretty mobile for her size. Kind of has a scrappy style of play.

Da'ja Bryant 6'4" Modesto Christian has fallen in NorCal Preps rankings. Doubt Cal will recruit her. Thought she looked more polished than Ila Lane, though. Both big and strong but not terribly athletic and will need to get into better shape.

JaQuaya Miller 6'3" from Washington state. I suspect Miller and Jackson are the two post players we are recruiting from this class, and Miller is the more coveted of the two. Could be a McDonald's All-American, though not the upside Anigwe had.

Angel Jackson 6'5" has actually gotten looks from UConn, but 2019 is not a strong post class.

I'm also curious about Ry'Anne Walters 5'7" PG from Sacramento. Ranked #73 by Prospects Nation. But no indication that Cal is recruiting her. And I wouldn't be surprised if LG holds out for Te-Hina Paopao from San Diego in the following class. She's a top 10 player.

Kemery Martin 5'10" from Utah is ranked #23 by Prospects Nation and #56 by Hoopgurlz. Said to be an elite shooter, but might even be an overall better guard than Jump. LG follows her on Twitter, which is a good sign, but she's a new name.

Cailyn Crocker 5'8" was offered early. Plays for Mater Dei now. Very quick guard. Seems to get out in transition, like former UCLA guard who also transferred to Mater Dei in HS, Nirra Fields.

Alexis Tucker 5'11" is ranked a bit higher. I don't know much about her other than that she was offered early as well. Is she like a Jaelyn Brown-type?

Our verbal form Oklahoma, Lauren Fields, now ranked #93 by Prospects Nation. She looks like she's a good shooter.

Charisma Osborne 5'9" has been spotted at Stanford recently. I have a feeling she, Haley Jones, and the dunking sensation from Colorado, Fran Belibi, are all very high on Stanford. Belibi narrowed her choices to Stanford, Notre Dame, Harvard, and Princeton. I believe UConn has offered Haley Jones and is recruiting her hard.

Looking ahead, there's an intriguing 6'5" freshman now at Kianna Smith's alma mater, Troy. Named Endigo Parker. Slender but athletic, like an Oderah Chidom.
thanks for breakdown
puget sound cal fan
Who are the out-of-state post players the Bears may be pursuing?
wvitbear
If we are talking about 2020, what about Daylee Dunn of BOD. Also Oliver of St. Mary's of Stockton. I'm not sure how I feel about Oliver. Want to see more of her in the future.

Haven't seen Dunn. BOD beat Miramonte last night.
wbbilluminati
puget sound cal fan said:

Who are the out-of-state post players the Bears may be pursuing?
Probably just J. Miller from WA. There are some ranked forwards and posts in Colorado but I don't think Cal is recruiting them. Cal recruited the dunking forward Belibi from Colorado but she is no longer considering Cal. There are three others ranked top 50-60 by Hoopgurlz or Prospects Nation.
ClayK
Just a note on Dunn: She played well against us, but she does not start at Bishop O'Dowd.

Oliver should be fine after recovering from her ACL, but it will be interesting to see if she returns to St. Mary's of Stockton or stays at Sacramento High, where she went this year while she was unable to play.

puget sound cal fan
Any updates on Cal's pursuit of "bigs"?
SFCALBear72
Watched Windward-Los Angeles with 5'9 junior guard, Charisma Osborne, beat Pinewood last night, 58-47, for the girls Open Division championship. Game was televised locally.

We sure could use Charisma Osborne. She had six 3-pointers and a couple were beyond NBA range at the Golden Center.

Another intriguing player for Windward is 6'1" sophomore, McKayla Williams. According to the announcers, she's the half sister of our own Reshanda Gray. They were quite impressed with her last night. She had 8 points and 8 rebounds and was all over the floor. Note to Coach G: Call Reshanda. lol.
HoopDreams
Both sound like great prospects
A shooting guard and skilled post
Coach G get to work!
(You should tweet her)
OBear073akaSMFan
SFCALBear72 said:

Watched Windward-Los Angeles with 5'9 junior guard, Charisma Osborne, beat Pinewood last night, 58-47, for the girls Open Division championship. Game was televised locally.

We sure could use Charisma Osborne. She had six 3-pointers and a couple were beyond NBA range at the Golden Center.

Another intriguing player for Windward is 6'1" sophomore, McKayla Williams. According to the announcers, she's the half sister of our own Reshanda Gray. They were quite impressed with her last night. She had 8 points and 8 rebounds and was all over the floor. Note to Coach G: Call Reshanda. lol.
I know Charisma Osborne has been on the Bear's watch list since she was a freshmen, though I'm sure she is on many schools' list.
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

Coach G get to work!
(You should tweet her)
I sent a FB message to Wendale Farrow this morning about these two players. He replied a short time ago saying "they were in the building last night" meaning the Golden Center. It's funny too that Charmin Smith sent out a tweet earlier today with a picture of herself with Kai Felton and Reshanda Gray at what I think is Oakland airport.
HoopDreams
SFCALBear72 said:

HoopDreams said:

Coach G get to work!
(You should tweet her)
I sent a FB message to Wendale Farrow this morning about these two players. He replied a short time ago saying "they were in the building last night" meaning the Golden Center. It's funny too that Charmin Smith sent out a tweet earlier today with a picture of herself with Kai Felton and Reshanda Gray at what I think is Oakland airport.
SF in action!
bobbk
Charmin was very visible at the Windward game.
SFCALBear72
bobbk said:

Charmin was very visible at the Windward game.
Good to hear. I'm guessing she knows the Windward coach, Vanessa Nygaard, quite well from their playing days at Stanford.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.