OSU Over Baylor

5,716 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by willtalk
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great win for Oregon State over Baylor. Gulich never stops moving, rebounding, posting,screening, and defending.
stu
Also OSU made 9 of 20 threes.

BTW UCLA is 8 points ahead of Texas at the half, and that with Canada going 0 for 5.

Stanford off to a slow start though.
wbbilluminati
UCLA knocks off Texas 84-75.
pearbear
Pac 12!!!
stu
Stanford got smashed by #1 seed Louisville but OSU and UCLA both beat #2 seeds!
CalFanatic
Phenomenal for the PAC. So many teams are progressing-are we? Food for thought.
GOLDEN
CalFanatic said:

Rueck has depended on Gulich who will be hard to replace. Put Gulich on the bench or get her in foul trouble and they are a whole completely different team. Even with new recruits coming in you dont replace Gulich with a freshman unless you know of a transfer coming in.

UCLA loses a ton of talent, Stanford is Stanford , they will allways be in the talk and Oregon is getting the Kentucky and Arizona Gatorade POY along with Sabally's sister
HoopDreams
CalFanatic said:

we would have, but our best player (and most indispensable) didn't play on a day-of-game decision

if you watched the game, you could see that West had nothing left, and was cramping
CalFanatic
I watched the game and many, many more this year. I don't think we are thriving- regardless of the first round appearance.

Congrats to the many thriving programs of the PAC 12 conference. Hoping we can join the others as a second week program next year.
HoopDreams
CalFanatic said:

I watched the game and many, many more this year. I don't think we are thriving- regardless of the first round appearance.

Congrats to the many thriving programs of the PAC 12 conference. Hoping we can join the others as a second week program next year.

well not sure what your definition of 'thriving' is, but your post talked about teams advancing in the tournament and asked if we 'progressing'

my point is I think we would have been progressing through the tournament (at least won that first game, and then who knows) if KA played
BearBint
Someone on Rebkell suggested that ESPN doesn't hype the Pac-12 much because they really don't want to have to send commentators out here. (And because it's mere WBB? Not sure.) A pity if that's true. Why not set up smaller west-coast ESPN studios in Seattle and L.A., with local WNBA retirees (e.g., Sue Bird, Kara Lawson) doing the color commentary?
willtalk
GOLDEN said:

CalFanatic said:

Rueck has depended on Gulich who will be hard to replace. Put Gulich on the bench or get her in foul trouble and they are a whole completely different team. Even with new recruits coming in you dont replace Gulich with a freshman unless you know of a transfer coming in.

True! Gulich will be hard to replace. It probably won't happen next season. However, their biggest weakness this season was the lack of a competent point guard and Slocum last years freshman player of the year will becomes eligible so turn overs should go down. They do have two posts coming in. 6'9" Aquino and 6'7" Patricia Morris. Both will probably need some time to be able to contribute. Morris has not focused on basketball and still has a huge upside. Watched her play on youtub and though she is raw she has quick feet. Oregon St has a history of developing low rated Posts. Neither Hamblin nor Gulich were highly regarded recruits . I suspect that before next season is done both the frosh will contribute at least defensively.
wifeisafurd
BearBint said:

Someone on Rebkell suggested that ESPN doesn't hype the Pac-12 much because they really don't want to have to send commentators out here. (And because it's mere WBB? Not sure.) A pity if that's true. Why not set up smaller west-coast ESPN studios in Seattle and L.A., with local WNBA retirees (e.g., Sue Bird, Kara Lawson) doing the color commentary?
ESPN already has people in LA that can do women's basketball (e.g., Salters). Don't know the Seattle staff. The dominance of east coast teams, particularly UConn, maybe what is driving the focus.
BearBint
P.S. Pat, congrats on your Bruins' victory last night.
SFCALBear72
BearBint said:

That's the thing. ESPN already has a studio in Los Angeles. They broadcast weeknight Sportscenter shows after 9 pm Pacific time from there.
really
Schroeder -- no comment on OSU's embarrassing 76-43 loss to Louisville?

Not taking Gulich out after her early 3d foul, then putting her back in to start the 4th quarter with 4, only to have her foul out immediately?

OSU didn't score 20 in any quarter... didn't reach 10 in 2 of them?

No pressure defense when down 20+pts, even in the half court -- even after Gulich fouled out -- until only a few minutes left in the game (and down 30).... 0 steals (!) for the game, with 17TOs - only 3TOs for Louisville?

BSH
BearBint said:

P.S. Pat, congrats on your Bruins' victory last night.
And wishing them best of luck in today's game.

But I am NOT cheering for Oregon.
Schroeder71
I didn't watch the game this morning but I think the Beavers did over-achieve by knocking off Tennessee & Baylor. The only star that OSU had was the 6-5 German post, Gulich. I looked up their roster and Gulich is the only senior on their team. They have a junior Polish back-up center that stands 6-8. Oregon State builds around their defense and rebounding under the current HC. He has always had a tall center to protect the basket. The Beavers also have the top rated recruit, Aquino (6-9), entering the conference next year!

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/215293/andrea-aquino

Oregon State has a big time transfer "waiting in the wings" from Maryland: SG Destiny Slocum. The Beavers should be very tough to beat next season.

GO BEARS!
stu
The Pac-12 has some nice teams but in the NCAA Tournament the air at the top is pretty thin.

UCLA just lost badly to Mississippi State, whose center McCowan had 23 points. 21 rebounds, and 4 blocks while holding Billings and Drummer together to 6 of 20 from the field, 2 free throws, 10 rebounds, 9 fouls, and 5 turnovers. And the rest of the Bulldogs made 8 of 13 threes. Wow!
stu
annarborbear said:

Great win for Oregon State over Baylor. Gulich never stops moving, rebounding, posting,screening, and defending.
Rueck really seems to know how to find, recruit and develop talented players. I'm repeating myself, but I'd like to see us look at more overseas players.
willtalk
As I often state- Basketball is a game of Timing and Match ups. I think that both Oregon St and UCLA would have matched up much better with each other opponents. Louisville just was able to put too much pressure on the OS ball handlers and they relied too much on getting the ball in to Gulich. Louisville knew their game plan and adjusted and Oregon was toast. Louisville is very good at taking out good post players as evidenced by what they did to Griner some years back. They beat OS the same way Arizona St beat them. Oregon just does not have a good off the dribble creator of their own shot or facilitator for others. Pivec is a very poor mans version of Sabrina. She hit her upside in high school and her physical skills and game are do not translate at this next level. Many of their players have not adjusted their games to college. Their primary ball handlers also have limited court vision and like to play two man games. That along with having a limited BBIQ.That will change when Slocum takes over. The other recruit from Australia might also be a factor.

UCLA just couldn't keep McCowan off the O boards and to beat them thats what you have to do or just out score them. They just were not hot enough to do that. They would have been a much better match up against Louisville because of their team speed.
wvitbear
You keep saying Oregon when I think you mean Oregon State. By the way, call me Willtalk. I've lost your number. Or send me a message with your phone number.
bobbk
I thought Pivec had an excellent season. Just saying

However I'm posting because S71 posted here and I was at the state tournament watching all the games and one of the more impressive young women was his niece Courtney Thompson. Just a frost but she stood out. She's not very big but one to keep our eyes out on as she will be playing basketball in college
BeaversHoopFan
Willtalk has a tendency to chime in negatively about female collegiate players and spew info that is often less than factual. He has done so about Pivec multiple times on the Oregon State University women's basketball board as well as the Connecticut Boneyard message forum. It is apparent that he doesn't care for Pivec's play and has other players he would like to see play in front of her at OSU.

OSU would not have advanced to the Elite Eight this season without Pivec's willingness to hold the point guard position down for a season while Destiny Slocum redshirted in '17-'18. She averaged 11.1/7.1/5.0 points/rebounds/assists this season at the point. She was the top rebounding guard in the PAC-12 and one of few female D1 players in the country with 11/7/5 averages playing any position. Cal fans know what she has done versus Cal during her first two seasons as a Beaver.

I feel compelled to try to clean up Willtalk's messes anytime I see a post in which he expresses an opinion that is unkind and ignores important facts. He is entitled to his opinion, but he should look in the mirror before he feels compelled to attack female collegiate athletes behind the shelter of an anonymous message board nickname.
HoopDreams
stu said:

The Pac-12 has some nice teams but in the NCAA Tournament the air at the top is pretty thin.

UCLA just lost badly to Mississippi State, whose center McCowan had 23 points. 21 rebounds, and 4 blocks while holding Billings and Drummer together to 6 of 20 from the field, 2 free throws, 10 rebounds, 9 fouls, and 5 turnovers. And the rest of the Bulldogs made 8 of 13 threes. Wow!

yeah, unbelievable game by McCowan
She just dominated in every game

also Mississippi State held down Canada
BearBint
Thanks, BeaversHoopFan. I like Pivec--well, I like the whole OSU program--and applaud their hard work in this season's tournament. They're the team I root for after Cal.
willtalk
BeaversHoopFan said:

Willtalk has a tendency to chime in negatively about female collegiate players and spew info that is often less than factual. He has done so about Pivec multiple times on the Oregon State University women's basketball board as well as the Connecticut Boneyard message forum. It is apparent that he doesn't care for Pivec's play and has other players he would like to see play in front of her at OSU.

OSU would not have advanced to the Elite Eight this season without Pivec's willingness to hold the point guard position down for a season while Destiny Slocum redshirted in '17-'18. She averaged 11.1/7.1/5.0 points/rebounds/assists this season at the point. She was the top rebounding guard in the PAC-12 and one of few female D1 players in the country with 11/7/5 averages playing any position. Cal fans know what she has done versus Cal during her first two seasons as a Beaver.

I feel compelled to try to clean up Willtalk's messes anytime I see a post in which he expresses an opinion that is unkind and ignores important facts. He is entitled to his opinion, but he should look in the mirror before he feels compelled to attack female collegiate athletes behind the shelter of an anonymous message board nickname.
willtalk
willtalk said:

BeaversHoopFan said:

First of all I am glad you posted because it made me think about where you came up with your perspective. In doing so I reread my post on this tread and recognized that it actually did not reflect what I intended on saying. I chock that up to a combination of late night fatigue and attempting to express to many concepts using too few sentences. I feel I have to therefor correct that by being more detailed in a following post.

The post I wrote is one of the few if only times when I actually used Pivecs name. Usually my post are generalizations in respect to the weaknesses in the Oregon St. offense. As to the boneyard posts that was an exchange with two other Oregon fans in respect to Pivec's difficulties playing out of position. That seems to be acknowledged by everyone. I think your assessment as to who I believe should be playing in Pivecs stead next season is purely an assumption on your part. All my posts in that respect have been purely generic. I state that who ends up playing next season depends on both which positive and negative traits each player possesses and how well they fit into the Scotts scheme. I might be the only one who has not made a statement in respect to who will start next season when Slocum and Simmons become eligible. My cause for farther evaluation and caution might not sit well with people who have already made up their minds based on personal perspectives.

As to Pivec. She has played really well during the playoff and I am not just referring to her scoring. What I see is a player that is beginning to play withing her skill level. That was the main flaw I saw in her game. I still do not think she would be good running the point, but whether she ever would grow into that would depend on if her failings in that area are because of actual limitations or just bad habits picked up during high school that she has not adjusted to college yet.

While the wording in my previous post might be considered harsh ( it was mistakenly written so ), it is not being unkind to evaluate both a players strengths and weaknesses. What a player does on the court is not a reflection of who they are as a person. Implying a person lacks BB!Q is not calling them stupid. I never directly state that in respect to Pivec personally. That is still up in the air with me. Some of it might be adjusting to college and bad high school patterns. That was directed in general at all the Oregon St ball handlers. And I suppose indirectly at people who do not recognize that. Perhaps your perspective of my criticism might be more about my disagreement with your personal perspectives than it is about me being unkind to players.
willtalk
willtalk said:

This is the part I need to clarify. I will leave what I wrote in this page because the Oregon poster probably responded to this. As this is written I can understand his perspective.

This is what I wrote -------- "Oregon just does not have a good off the dribble creator of their own shot or facilitator for others. Pivec is a very poor mans version of Sabrina. She hit her upside in high school and her physical skills and game are do not translate at this next level. Many of their players have not adjusted their games to college. Their primary ball handlers also have limited court vision and like to play two man games. That along with having a limited BBIQ.That will change when Slocum takes over. The other recruit from Australia might also be a factor. ""------------------------

My corrections ----Saying that Pivec is a poor mans Sabrina is not an insult. I mean who is her equal in what she does in college today? Pivec has many of the same traits and qualities that she does which is why I made that statement. Sabrina is on a whole different level, however.

In respect to her reaching her upside in high school, that was in reference to her physical ability. Many players who are superior to the competition in high school excel purely because of that physical superiority. She is a real superior athlete. The thing is that when your get to the next level your have to adjust accordingly. You can not do everything you did against high school competition. That was the major thing she faced this year. Last season the focus was on Wiese so it was easier as a two. Many of the other rotation players on the Oregon team also have not adjusted yet. I was in no way implying that she had reached her peak and could not get better.

The primary ball handlers this season were generally wings who were put into situations they were not capable of handling. They did focus on one side of the court. They were effective in two man games but not in respect to seeing and utilizing the whole floor. Scott made a mention of this in his post Louisville presser.

As to BB!Q that includes a lot of the things including, court vision, spacing and angles. along with the ability to quickly process all visual information. Those can sometimes be learned but usually are lacking in most high school players. Especially ones that have not had to develop them due to compensating for them with other skills. Lacking BBIQ is not a personal insult. In refers only to basketball. One can be really intelligent but lack BB!Q.

BeaversHoopFan
Willtalk's explanation of his comments about Pivec is appreciated, but much of what he has expressed on this forum and on other basketball forums comes across as personal when he uses her name with regularity. And Willtalk has done so often on a variety of women's basketball forums. I could cut and past from other message forums, but a simple review of his postings on other boards will reveal that he has a penchant for using players' names. He claims in a recent post that he doesn't do that often. The truth is that Willtalk has done so frequently with derogatory and ill-informed comments about Pivec and other OSU players multiple times across multiple message boards. As a big women's college basketball fan, I monitor the Boneyard (UConn), BearInsider (Cal), The CardBoard (Stanford), Benny's House (OSU), and McGraw's Bench (Notre Dame) forums to see what is taking place across the country with a number of the nation's top basketball programs.

Willtalk has often used her name in other forums to single out his perceptions of her, including calling her a "defensive liability" and lacking a high basketball IQ. It was actually her defense and rebounding that got her on the floor early for OSU as a freshman, so as an avid OSU fan I began to discount any analysis he offered as biased/distorted and hoped that he would stick to generalities and stay away of calling out specific players, especially those players who have reputations for giving great effort and having high basketball IQs.

When I come across Willtalk's posts in the future on other forums, I will continue to look to correct factual errors and other misguided perceptions about OSU players that the majority of Beaver fans don't share with Willtalk.

Will Slocum be the OSU point guard next season? That answer is yes. Pivec and Slocum are good friends, housemates, and former AAU rivals/friendly competitors who both know that OSU will need Slocum's strengths on the floor to be as good a team as it can be in '18-'19. I don't think Pivec wants to play the point, but did so this season because her team needed her to do so. Credit her for doing that.
Schroeder71
bobbk-I appreciate your kind words regarding my niece's daughter, Courtni Thompson. She really improved her game over the course of the season. She scored 12 points in the win over St Marys, 11 in the upset of Mitty & 14 in the loss to Windward. She ended the season hitting 44% of her shots. After the initial two weeks, she was only
shooting 22% from the floor but Doc Scheppler showed faith in her as his starting SG. If she continues to improve
Courtni may have a shot at the next level in three years.

http://www.maxpreps.com/games/girls-basketball-winter-17-18/pinewood-vs-windward/3-24-2018-d0W40kp01UuWjkJg-0heGA.htm#tab=box-score&schoolid=ac9c9167-10bf-4859-bc74-7eb0f69517c6

Her sister, Jordan, will be playing for UC Davis next season. She suffered a knee injury over the summer and did NOT enroll. UCD has several good three point shooters so Jordan should fit right in...I hope that Cal does NOT face the Aggies next season. GO BEARS!
willtalk
BeaversHoopFan said:

Willtalk's explanation of his comments about Pivec is appreciated, but much of what he has expressed on this forum and on other basketball forums comes across as personal when he uses her name with regularity. And Willtalk has done so often on a variety of women's basketball forums. I could cut and past from other message forums, but a simple review of his postings on other boards will reveal that he has a penchant for using players' names. He claims in a recent post that he doesn't do that often. The truth is that Willtalk has done so frequently with derogatory and ill-informed comments about Pivec and other OSU players multiple times across multiple message boards. As a big women's college basketball fan, I monitor the Boneyard (UConn), BearInsider (Cal), The CardBoard (Stanford), Benny's House (OSU), and McGraw's Bench (Notre Dame) forums to see what is taking place across the country with a number of the nation's top basketball programs.

Willtalk has often used her name in other forums to single out his perceptions of her, including calling her a "defensive liability" and lacking a high basketball IQ. It was actually her defense and rebounding that got her on the floor early for OSU as a freshman, so as an avid OSU fan I began to discount any analysis he offered as biased/distorted and hoped that he would stick to generalities and stay away of calling out specific players, especially those players who have reputations for giving great effort and having high basketball IQs.

When I come across Willtalk's posts in the future on other forums, I will continue to look to correct factual errors and other misguided perceptions about OSU players that the majority of Beaver fans don't share with Willtalk.

Will Slocum be the OSU point guard next season? That answer is yes. Pivec and Slocum are good friends, housemates, and former AAU rivals/friendly competitors who both know that OSU will need Slocum's strengths on the floor to be as good a team as it can be in '18-'19. I don't think Pivec wants to play the point, but did so this season because her team needed her to do so. Credit her for doing that.
No one is not crediting her for playing out of position. But the fact remains that Oregons main weakness early and most of the season was turn overs. And Pivec is their point guard and primary ball handler. How can there be any discussion of Oregons weakness without her name coming up. Actually in the discussion on Baylors site when the question of why the got blown out by UCLA, and I stated it was due to turn overs because they had an off guard playing point and wings playing off guards. I also stated that that this no longer seemed like a problem. I don't believe her name actually was used.

I actually think Pivec has turned it around in that respect even though she was credited with 9 turnover in the Tenn game. Turnovers are not always a good indicator. She made good decisions which was always her major problem in the past. The main problem was not her turnovers but why the happened. They were usually not because of bad passes but making poor decisions that got her trapped off the dribble . That is a result of poor BBIQ. That is a fact. I do not think that will be a problem in the future because she seems to now be operating within her skill set.

As to you wanting to keep track of me on different sites. I welcome it. Because then you can respond to post that I actually post instead of taking things out of context which you have done on your posts here.

So your are the spokes person of all the Oregon State fans. When did they have an election that made you their representative. I also believe you are confused between what is a factual error and what is a different perspective or opinion. As to not commenting and singling out individual players. I would hope that you go on the Oregon St. site and make them stop the thread about which players will be starting next season and who will be the back ups. I seem to have been in the minority because I didn't promote any one or use their name. I suppose it is only important to be generic as long as one doesn't disagree with you.

Often the very thing we accuse others of doing is what we actually are guilty of ourselves. In this case it's making things personal.
willtalk
Even though I have supposedly been posting all the misinformation on various sites for the whole season, this is the first time beaverhoopsfan has chosen to keep me factually honest. I suspect it was triggered by my post on the recent thread on the Oregon site in respect to who will be the starters next season. Ironically I was perhaps the only poster who did not have an opinion but rather stated that the players chosen would be the ones that best filled the needs of the team and offense that the coach wanted to run. To discover that a honest evaluation needed to be made of each players strength and weakness that they would bring to the table. To get the ball rolling I stated that I would give my perspective on each player. It was purely a call for objectivity. Most fans do not seem to want that however. They prefer going with and rationalizing why their favorite should be the one to start.

beaverhoopsfan suggestion that I remain generic and not to bring up any persons name seems to be a warning not to give my perspective. Some fans become emotionally invested in specific players and when that happens the reality needs to take a back seat to illusion. How dare someone break someone else emotionally attached illusion. I think he believes I will rake Pivec over the coals. That is not true at all. She has many good qualities that if those where not constantly being promoted then I would be doing so. Along with the fact that she has shown that her constant bad decisions are a thing of the past. You all must remember how I criticize Claranden until he Junior year when she turned it around and became one of my favorite players. Pivec could easily become one of mine as well. But that is only because she is changing and improving not because of her being a homer favorite.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.