Exhibition vs Westmont 11/1

1,589 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CalFanatic
pearbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi,

Anastasieska (back) and Cayton (knee) being held out of tonight's game. Not sure what that means in Cayton's case. Will update if I find out.

GO BEARS!
pearbear
Looks like Cal is going small to start:

Thomas
Anigwe
Smith
Brown
Caldwell
puget sound cal fan
I don't know how much size Westmont has in its roster, but keeping track of Coach G's substitution patterns would be interesting to learn.
pearbear
puget sound cal fan said:

I don't know how much size Westmont has in its roster, but keeping track of Coach G's substitution patterns would be interesting to learn.

First subs--West and Forbes, in with Anigwe, Brown, and Smith. So, big line up.
blungld
Forbes much bigger than I thought. We have size and athletes. Rece smaller than I thought.

Cayton not suited up makes me worry.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
blungld
The team, West in particular, looks in better shape.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
stu
Westmont is very small and very quick and most of their players can shoot. We gave up 40 points in the first half, many of those on threes against our zone. In the second half we played almost exclusively man and gave up just 22 points. For the game we gave up 10 offensive rebounds, most of which Westmont got on pure hustle.

Other than the above we looked fine. I'll take 19 assists on 34 baskets and 62% from the field any day. We also hit 6 of 9 threes.

Kenzie looked very composed, not at all like a freshie. As the game progressed she had a little trouble on defense staying in front of smaller, quicker guards but I expect her conditioning to improve.

Recee didn't shoot much but contributed 6 assists, 5 boards, and solid defense.

I hope to see Mi'Cole back soon. She would have been great against these opponents.
wvitbear
O the first 8 players, only one did not attempt a three pointer. And that was West. In fact our first score was a three pointer by Anigwe. Smith looks like a first team allPac 12. So smooth.

All our bigs can run. Anigwe seems much faster this year. And everyone seems to be a good passer. Like Stu said, our zone was shredded. But our man to man was fine. Our bigs switched really well on this team. And this team was a good test. Boy could they shoot.

More later.
CalFanatic
I'm sure the team would have liked a bigger margin of victory... but i'll take it.

I echo the above comments on Forbes- composed, shot well, smooth all around game. Very impressed. She will need to improve her conditioning but all in all, very good first game from her.

Other highlights: West looked like a completely different player out there. She is in such better shape. Huge kudos to her.

Anigwe showed she can hit the three, drive to the hoop with one bounce from the FT line or play with her back to the basket. She's an All-American if she can STAY OUT OF FOUL TROUBLE.

Excited for the season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.