Bad news, good news

3,454 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LegoBear
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Center CJ West (back) and guard Sara Anastasieska (back) will not be dressing for today's game vs Pacific. Guard Mi'Cole Cayton (knee) is available for action.
blungld
I'd say that is expected bad news and unexpected GREAT news!!!!
BearBint
There are supposed to be both live stats and audio; no talk of video for those of us not driving down to Palo Alto:

https://calbears.com/news/2018/11/16/womens-basketball-bears-return-to-berkeley.aspx

Go, Cayton!

"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Schroeder71
UOP site has video but it is probably @ Cal reference.
https://www.pacifictigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/2018-19/schedule
GO BEARS!
BearBint
After frustrated and erratic shooting, Cal 33, Pacific 34 (at half-time), thanks to Kristine and Kianna:

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=233930

"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
ncbears
Twitter says no live stream
Schroeder71
This game sounds like the BYU first half with Cal being out hustled and out-played in the 1st half. Pacific Tigers were leading by 10 points 32-22 with 2 minutes plus remaining in the half. The Bears rallied to close the gap to one @ intermission.

UOP out-rebounded Cal by 21-16 (including 10 offensive boards) despite nobody taller than 6-2. The Tigers applied a full court press the entire first half and forced 9 Cal turnovers. Pacific is in foul trouble, however, with their top four players all having three or two PFs. Cal's Jaelyn Brown picked up 3 personal fouls in the second quarter. The Bears missed five free throws

The third quarter was dominated by Cal, 23-10. Kristine Anigwe took over the game with her rebounding & scoring. Kianna Smith & Asha Thomas pushed the tempo!

Hopefully, the Bears can maintain this intensity.
BearBint
K.A. her best fiery self. Am I correct in thinking her court I.Q. has improved a lot in the past year?
HoopDreams
KA dominating another game
you would think that would open the court for other players, but besides Smith, no one else is taking advantage
MoragaBear
Staff
Final box score:

Schroeder71
Cal holds on to defeat Pacific. One important point to make is that the Tigers have two talented 6-1 sophs, SF McDavid & SG Higgins, that only played 23 & 25 minutes, due to foul trouble. They scored 13 & 17 points, respectively, while sitting out nearly half of the game. Cal seemingly had no answer for McDavid who hit 60% from the floor primarily vs Jaelyn Brown. Higgins was perfect from the charity stripe and was extremely athletic.

UOP lost to Cal last year in Stockton 92-85. I hope that the Bears don't face 'em again next year without KA.

wvitbear
Saw Higgins play in high school. Very good player. Brown was in foul trouble too. Pacific next year gets Loretta Kakala who transferred from Louisville. Very good post in high school.
grin&bearit
I was at the game. The team picked up the intensity second half as they have all season. Hopefully they will be able to get out to faster starts especially during conference. Pacific's shooter who shot 60% was primarily guarded by KA and not Brown. Bears played well in spite of 5 turnovers by Caldwell and 5 turnovers by KA. KA really needs to learn to kick the ball out when she is double and triple teamed. Browns shooting is not up to par but I'm sure it'll get better just as Kianna's did. At least she is rebounding well. AT and Kianna shot really well. I believe they saved us by pushing tempo and getting KA the ball early and often 2nd half. Glad we got the win.
blungld
How did Cayton look?
wvitbear
Did Cayton wear a knee brace?

Also, will Sara play at all this year?
grin&bearit
Clayton wore a knee brace and looked really good. She was aggressive on defense and even went to the floor and fought for a jump ball. Exciting see her play again.
Sara didn't play. Still out with back injury I presume.
wvitbear
I know sara was out after a bcd operation(her second). But she did shoot some during the open practice. And Lindsey said she would be out. But I don't know if that is the whole season or what?
HoopDreams
grin&bearit said:

Clayton wore a knee brace and looked really good. She was aggressive on defense and even went to the floor and fought for a jump ball. Exciting see her play again.
Sara didn't play. Still out with back injury I presume.

LegoBear
Arg, looks like Micole is now out for the rest of the season. Hoping for a full recovery!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.