Haley Jones announces today (Wednesday) at 8 am

4,215 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
GOLDEN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UCONN, Stanford or N. Carolina?
SFCALBear72
I believe it's South Carolina as her third choice.
ClayK
I would guess South Carolina is no longer in play ...
BearPedz
Furd.... GD it all.
CalFanatic
Good for them. Our recruiting really has been...anemic compared to other programs in our conference. Eek.
GOLDEN
BearPedz said:

Furd.... GD it all.
Yikes..........................., Check out the UCONN Boneyard forum and they are on an absolute suicide watch. They lost out on next door player A. Boston last week and Jones this week. They did not do well this year. Is there cracks in UCONN's recruiting foundation?

willtalk
GOLDEN said:

BearPedz said:

Furd.... GD it all.
Yikes..........................., Check out the UCONN Boneyard forum and they are on an absolute suicide watch. They lost out on next door player A. Boston last week and Jones this week. They did not do well this year. Is there cracks in UCONN's recruiting foundation?
__________________________________________________________________________________

Willtalk said: It is a combination of many factors. Geno, who's program had the reputation of being excellent in developing players to succeed at the next level, usually had his pick of the type of players who were committed to being the best they could become. That type of players would commit to his very rigid and Spartan program. That type of player is no longer coming out of high school in the numbers that used ot exist for Uconn to draw on. The basketball landscape has changed.

Then if you add the fact that Geno recognizes that fewer players are willing to buy into his system. I makes him really unsure if he really wants to adjust and continue to coach. John Wooden, some years after he retired, once stated that he did not feel he could coach the then present day player coming out of high school. This is the issue that Geno now seems to be facing. The fact that players know Geno contemplating retirement or at least leaving Uconn does not help their recruiting on bit.

The dynamics of tha sport are constantly changing. Geno, himself, was once the vanguard of a change that took place when he began his career. It seems obvious now that it is changing once more. Cal has felt that effect in respect to a college's academic standing not having the importance that it once had as well.

Lone Star
Well, I am not sure what Will was talking about but, Haley Jones is going to Stanford (even though there was an earlier story about how Vandeveer was not expecting her to commit there).
Schroeder71
Haley Jones might make me like Stanford. I predict that she'll help the Cardinal stay at the top of the conference if
not own it. She gets her points in the natural flow of the game. She seldom tries to go one-on-one to score during the regular course of the game. However, she is capable of taking over a game during crunch time. Haley can play any position on the floor in college except center. In high school school she can play any role for her team or position including point guard. Jones was gifted with the super springy legs. I remember as a 6-1 freshman that she blocked Salesian's Angel Jackson (6-3 or 6-5) multiple times.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/28/mitty-star-haley-jones-nations-top-recruit-chooses-stanford/

At least I'll be able to watch her perform some times. Congratulations, Haley! Stanford also has the #2 recruit in the class of 2020 in 6-4 post, Cameron Brink, from Oregon. HJ & CB became best friends on the USA all-star
team that they played on over the summer. I had a feeling that they might wind up together in college.
polarbear
The Pac-12 has been exciting for a few years with a few teams going deep into the NCAA tournament- Cal, Huskies, Ducks, Beavers, etc. Now it appears we are going back to annual Furd coronations with the rest of the teams playing for who will face Notre Dame or UConn in the 2nd round.
willtalk
polarbear said:

The Pac-12 has been exciting for a few years with a few teams going deep into the NCAA tournament- Cal, Huskies, Ducks, Beavers, etc. Now it appears we are going back to annual Furd coronations with the rest of the teams playing for who will face Notre Dame or UConn in the 2nd round.
I assume you are being sarcastic. If not you would certainly not mean the second round, because the Pac 12 had 4 teams make it into the final eight last season with out playing the top two teams. To end up playing the top team in just their own regional a team would have to be ranked as low as 8th in their own regional. Which would mean the bottom half of the entire 64 team bracket.

Besides Tara seems to do better as an underdog. When favored in the past she has managed to mess things up when faced with good teams capable of beating her.
annarborbear
Tara is 65 years old. I guess it is possible that she will be handing over the keys to all of this talent to someone else before Cameron Brink, next year's superstar recruit, reaches graduation.
wvitbear
The 4th place team in the Pac 12 has had a very good seed the last few years. Last year OSU was the 4th place finisher and the year before it was UCLA. Both did very well in the tourney.

When I evaluate the year, I don't say we have to finish in a certain spot in the conference. Instead, I ask two questions. Are we better than last year and is the conference better than last year. You could be better this year but finish worse.

I think we are a better team than last year and will continue to improve if we don't have any injuries. One thing i have noticed this year is that Anigwe has elevated her game in every way. She is more athletic, stronger, in better shape, has improved her skills, and is shooting better from further out. But the biggest change is her attitude. To me she has always had lots of talent but was a bit of a whiner. Not this year. I haven't seen that hang dog expression all year. And that includes the practice I went to. I don't believe she has fouled out of a game this year.

Thomas and Smith are top flight guards. At the very first, they were in a bit of a shooting slump but that has changed. Smith was turning the ball over a lot the first few games but that has stopped. Last year she had an excellent assist/turnover ratio. My concern this year was rebounding. But Brown has rebounded very well as an undersized power forward. CJ West has improved a lot physically. But the one I would watch is
Styles who is very fast and can shoot.

Forbes seems to be coming out of her shooting slump. Recee is not turning the ball over quite as much. It may take a while to see how much she improves. I believe that she is in the middle of the offense even though I think Thomas and Smith are better point guards because Lindsey wants them as shooting guards,

Cayton hasn't played enough to get a feel where she is at. But she is not a shooter and she isn't as good as Smith or Thomas at the point. She is a defender who has gotten stronger.

I am waiting to see the conference play more but I believe OSU is very good, thanks to their guards. Not their big people. And I think ASU may be better. At least as a shooting team. Most teams will be better this year with maybe the exception of UCLA who will still be a good team. UCLA plays a very tough schedule so they may look worse than they are.
annarborbear
To get back on track in recruiting vs the other good teams in this conference, including attracting at least some players from outside the West Coast, we will need a Sweet Sixteen any way we can get it.
annarborbear
Arizona has been listed as signing no US players for 2019. But it turns out that they are bringing in four international players in this next class - from Latvia, Turkey, Iceland and Australia. It helps the Barnes' husband coached for 14 years in Italy and speaks multiple languages. Hope that our own recent Barcelona outreach turns out to have been more than a sightseeing and restaurant tour.
puget sound cal fan
Let's see results.
3Cats4CAL
Looks like Our Cal Bears will be continuing in Stanford's shadow with Belibi, Brink, Jump, and Jones all joining the Cardinals and the current team mates. Wonder if they'd do as well if Tara were to retire?
mbBear
Schroeder71 said:

Haley Jones might make me like Stanford. I predict that she'll help the Cardinal stay at the top of the conference if
not own it. She gets her points in the natural flow of the game. She seldom tries to go one-on-one to score during the regular course of the game. However, she is capable of taking over a game during crunch time. Haley can play any position on the floor in college except center. In high school school she can play any role for her team or position including point guard. Jones was gifted with the super springy legs. I remember as a 6-1 freshman that she blocked Salesian's Angel Jackson (6-3 or 6-5) multiple times.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/28/mitty-star-haley-jones-nations-top-recruit-chooses-stanford/

At least I'll be able to watch her perform some times. Congratulations, Haley! Stanford also has the #2 recruit in the class of 2020 in 6-4 post, Cameron Brink, from Oregon. HJ & CB became best friends on the USA all-star
team that they played on over the summer. I had a feeling that they might wind up together in college.
"Might make me like Stanford(sic)".....Real Cal fans don't speak those words.
CalFanatic
He might be looking elsewhere because he's thinking..."Will we even have enough players to cheer on the next two years"? Stanford has more players in this class than we've landed in two years. The recruiting is anemic. We are the #13 team in the nation!! What is going on? I've never seen anything like this since the big CH class that put us on the map. We have ONE post with real game experience next year!!
CalFanatic
This year alone USC landed as many top 100 players as Cal has in three years. THREE!
mbBear
CalFanatic said:

He might be looking elsewhere because he's thinking..."Will we even have enough players to cheer on the next two years"? Stanford has more players in this class than we've landed in two years. The recruiting is anemic. We are the #13 team in the nation!! What is going on? I've never seen anything like this since the big CH class that put us on the map. We have ONE post with real game experience next year!!
When the going gets tough, a real fan "looks elsewhere?"
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

Thanks for the reminder that the "sky is falling".

I do recall that there is a basketball signing period starting on April 17, 2019. So, I won't give up hope until that signing period has come and gone with no results. Based upon her twitter feed, Coach G was up in Seattle on a recruiting trip during finals week (last week). She called it a "great recruiting trip". Let's wait and see.
CalFanatic
Please locate one top 100 post in the Pacific Northwest for the class of 2019 and get back to me.

Hopefully CJ can play in a full body suit next year.

annarborbear
Just looked at the entire list of 2019 Prospect Nation players for the state of Washington, and didn't see any uncommitted players taller than 5'11". The best post player in the state, #41 Jaquaya Miller has committed to Washington. There is a good 2020 post at the same high school as Miller, so perhaps that player is being looked at.

Personally, I think a great recruiting trip is when somebody actually signs
SFCALBear72
I don't recall saying she was up in Seattle looking at post players. My main point was that there is still time left to add to the 2019 recruiting class.
CalFanatic
I don't really quite see how adding anything but a post would be worthwhile- at this point- for 2019 recruiting but sure! In theory there is time to add any player/position to the 2019 recruiting class.
SFCALBear72
We could use another Wing/Forward. Someone like Jaelyn Brown...can shoot the 3 and rebound.

I keep thinking about Coach Kai Felton's trip to Barcelona and comments made early on by MoragaBear about us signing 1 or 2 post players and that they could be international player(s). Teams from different countries were there during her visit.
OBear073akaSMFan
mbBear said:

CalFanatic said:

When the going gets tough, a real fan "looks elsewhere?"
Not only that ..he wants to go to the hated Furds!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.