CJ West should replace Jaelyn Brown in the starting lineup for Pac 12 season.

2,652 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by longseeker
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After watching the UConn-Cal contest yesterday, a light dawned. Cal only outscored UConn in the fourth quarter
when West & Anigwe were in the game together. The one compliment that I'll give to Kristine for her play Saturday was that was the only game in her career that she had more assists (3) than turnovers (1). One of her assists went to West underneath for a lay-up. West also grabbed 5 offensive rebounds while she played only limited minutes.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/calberk.sidearmsports.com/documents/2018/12/22/2018_12_22_Cal_W_vs_UConn_Final_Box.pdf

Two separate sets of actions have caused me to make this suggestion. #1-Anigwe is in a major shooting slump over her last three games (21-58), shooting only 36% from the field. Over the initial seven games, she shot 56% against primarily four guard lineups. Cal is one game away from conference play where the opposition already has gameplans prepared to counter KA. UConn held her to a single basket over three quarters of the game. (first, second + fourth quarters). Geno admitted that he entered the game with a game plan to limit Kristine's scoring inside. However, the Bears hit 8 treys in the first half to counter that strategy. Kristine scored four baskets in the third quarter when the Husky defenders payed more attention to the outside shot.

#2-Jaelyn Brown has disappeared as a major factor for the Bears as the starting PF. Her play doesn't merit a starting position. To be honest, I cannot recall a left-handed player missing left-handed layups & putbacks every game. She even missed a ten foot open jump shot in the middle of the key. A few Cal fans here (including myself) predicted that she would have a breakout season in 2018-19. Jaelyn played well in the first few games but has vanished as a scoring threat. She cannot effectively defend opposing bigs inside, either.

It only makes sense to have 6-4 West as the weakside rebounder on Anigwe misses. CJ grabbed offensive rebounds for a put back basket and was fouled for two shots on another. One of those was a KA misfire.
This would also allow Kristine to play more of a power forward high post spot which would provide her more space and options to score. She could drive or spot up for a jumper. She knows how to play the high-low game with West, too. Yesterday, one of her assists was to CJ for a layup.

I envision Cal with three effective point guards in the lineup that can pass and shoot the three point shot. They would be complimented by two 6-4 bigs that can rebound and score. They also can help defend the basket.
If KA gets herself in foul trouble, substitute the improving Alaysia Styles (6-2) as the high post.
Thoughts?
GO BEARS!
stu
Sounds good to me. I don't know what happened to Jaelyn, against UConn she passed up several wide open shots and missed a couple others.

In some situations, such as emphasizing perimeter defense, we may still want to go four out. Without Mi'Cole our fourth perimeter options are Jaelyn, Kenzie, and Mo. Their games are different, I could see any one of them standing out on a given day.
SFCALBear72
Keep an eye out for Alaysia Styles. Her confidence and court presence are growing. And she's getting more minutes. Only 5 against St. Mary's but 15 versus UCSB and 10 against UCONN. She and Kristine have developed some nice floor chemistry. Kristine often looks for her when the double team comes..and she produces.
CalFanatic
I would love to see CJ start along side Kristine. She's played great this year.

Also...Considering she is our **ONLY** post next year with real playing experience, she could use even more time to improve her game.
wvitbear
I feel that Brown will eventually come around. She had a stretch last year where she shot very well. She is our best defender. And our best athlete. Matchups will determine who plays but I want her to get over what is bothering her which is mainly lack of confidence. Shooting wise she is having the Clay Thompson syndrome.

With her playing well we have two wings, three guards, and three bigs. And I have been cheering for Styles since their first practice.
IssyBear
wvitbear said:

I feel that Brown will eventually come around. She had a stretch last year where she shot very well. She is our best defender. And our best athlete. Matchups will determine who plays but I want her to get over what is bothering her which is mainly lack of confidence. Shooting wise she is having the Clay Thompson syndrome.

With her playing well we have two wings, three guards, and three bigs. And I have been cheering for Styles since their first practice.
I hope you're right. I know Brown has the ability to shoot, but she now looks hesitant. I think a few shots going down may be enough to turn her around, so I hope the coaches encourage her to keep shooting. I also think she needs to play. She's an important defender.
ncbears
I'm a fan of CJ - and she has a great dad based on my little interaction with him in San Diego. I think the Bears have done better over the years with two front line players.
But, CJ has been hurt - I've seen her wear some kind of a brace on the bench around her midsection and during timeouts - and so I worry about how many minutes Cal can get from her. Even against UConn, before her free throws, it looked like she was having back pains.
puget sound cal fan
...and who will sub for West, when she gets in foul trouble next season?
Schroeder71
Chen Yue (6-7) will be the only alternative available for center. Alaysia Styles and Jaelyn Brown can fight it out for PF. Bottomline: Gottlieb must bring in a senior transfer, a junior college transfer or a foreign player to add depth on Cal's frontline so that they can hopefully be competitive.
puget sound cal fan
Actually, I expected to see Chen Yue receive some PT in this, her Junior Year. I expect she may be limited in speed, agility, and athleticism, which limits her PT. Too bad.
longseeker
It is so disgusting to see so many Bay Area top players go to Stanford, Oregon, UCLA and other places instead of Cal. We do get out of state players, but we don't get to see them play in HS as we do here in the Bay Area and have a better idea of whom we are recruiting. We need height in the upcoming seasons and can't even come close to what Stanford has already lined up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.