Ionescu Numbers

2,140 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by willtalk
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just saw that Ionescu is putting up some pretty staggering numbers so far this year - 20.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 8.8 apg, 48.3% shooting overall, 54.5% from threes. Has also tied the NCAA record for 13 career triple doubles.

I remember seeing her as sophomore at Miramonte, and thinking "hey, that kid could be good".
blungld
During the recruiting there were opinions here that she was a little slow and would be a good but not great player. I thought they were nuts and said she would put us in a Final Four. Can you even imagine this team with her? We would have a legit shot at a national championship.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Lone Star
I have to believe this is her last year at Oregon. Eligible to go pro at the end of her junior year and if she is doubly smart, she would have earned her degree in 3 years.
HoopDreams
Do you man WNBA has a three-and-done rule?
Lone Star
HoopDreams said:

If the player is 22 and has completed their 4 year degree. That is why I mentioned if she earned her degree in 3 years (like many players do to start working on their masters degree). So yes, there is a 3 and done rule with the above guidelines
HoopDreams
Lone Star said:

HoopDreams said:

If the player is 22 and has completed their 4 year degree. That is why I mentioned if she earned her degree in 3 years (like many players do to start working on their masters degree). So yes, there is a 3 and done rule with the above guidelines
wow. thx for the info. i didn't realize. surprised the women haven't made a bigger noise around this given the discussion on the men's side. I have read a few tweets from WBB players but they weren't specific, so maybe this is what they are referring to.
roqmoq
Lone Star said:

HoopDreams said:

Yes, some players do earn their degrees in 3 years. But it seems that most players who earn their degrees before using up their eligibility have 4 years of academic work by taking a redshirt year.
MoragaBear
Staff
And some people thought I was a Miramonte homer by saying what a huge impact player she'd be at the next level...
wbbilluminati
blungld said:

During the recruiting there were opinions here that she was a little slow and would be a good but not great player. I thought they were nuts and said she would put us in a Final Four. Can you even imagine this team with her? We would have a legit shot at a national championship.
She still is slow! She looks a step slow when you watch her but she finds ways to get it done. Happy for her success.
wbbilluminati
I don't think she needs to finish her degree in 3 years. I think the rule is either you finish in 3 OR you are 22. Jewell Loyd from UND had not finished her degree when she declared and was selected as #1 pick.
blungld
MoragaBear said:

And some people thought I was a Miramonte homer by saying what a huge impact player she'd be at the next level...
Yeah, you were a big advocate. I think I remember hearing many posters refuting your assessment. Saying things like she wouldn't be able to get her shot off, wasn't that great a scorer, and would be a bust.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
ClayK
There is no doubt Ionescu is eligible for the 2018 WNBA draft.

If she stays for her senior year, she leaves at least $150,000 on the table that she can never get back.

If she goes pro, she loses the opportunity to play for a team that has a very good chance to get to the Final Four.

My understanding is that she will be at most a class or two short of graduation in June, which would be easy to pick up.

Another issue is insurance: Will Oregon buy her an insurance policy should she get injured her senior year? They definitely did for Marcus Mariota and presumably did the same for Justin Herbert -- but if they don't do the same for Ionescu, that might be reason enough for her to be one of the top picks in the WNBA draft.
MoragaBear
Staff
Yeah, I probably saw her play live somewhere @15 times and often against top-level competition so I knew that was crazy talk.
willtalk
Sabrina is a perfect example of where the concept of intangibles come into play. Intangibles are not really intangible except to those that do not recognize what the are comprised of. They are just a bit harder to spot. Basketball utilizes a lot of Geometry- spacing and angles in respect to floor position. Recognizing the optimum place to be and the shortest available angles to get there plays as much a role as speed. One tends to compensate for the other.

To some her lack of foot speed gave the impression that she could not compensate via other ( intangible ) skills. There is not also a players vision, but their ability to quickly process what they see and recognize the proper response. Many players possess nothing but speed and quickness physically and their short comings do not manifest until they reach the next level. Believe it or not there are quite a few very quick and fast players who are bad defenders because they have a major deficiency in one of the so called other intangible skills.

Until this point in time Sabrina has been more than able to compensate for any lack of foot speed she might not possesses. How that will play out at the next level still remains to be seen. Probably her most striking intangible is her force of will.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.