Competitive Harvard Crimson (6-6) in Berkeley today for final OOC game...

1,799 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Remember Cal's struggle to defeat Ivy League Brown University, 89-79, last season back East? Brown hit sixteen
three pointers against Cal and only trailed by 5 points after three quarters...

Well, Harvard was blownout in their opener at Notre Dame by 45 points. Since then the Crimson have played consistently and have blown out five opponents and have lost by the largest margin of 13 points on the road.

The Ivy League school has outscored their opponents by 5.2 ppg and has outrebounded them by 6.5/g. Harvard plays a seven player rotation of in excess of 15 minutes each. The Crimson start three guards: JR Katie Benzan (14.4ppg/ 3.6 treys/g), SR Sydney Skinner (12.3 ppg/ 2.4 treys/g) & SR Madeline Raster (7.8 ppg/1.2 treys/g) who
combine for 9.1 three pointers per contest. Arguably their best player is soph SF (5-11) Jadyn Bush who grabs 9 rebounds per game and scores 10.8 ppg. Harvard rotates two post players in JR Jeannie Boehm (6-3) & SO Rachel Levy (6-2). Boehm corrals 6.6 rpg & adds 5.8 ppg.

The Crimson lost at home to Rutgers by 11 and on the road to Hartford by 13. They also lost three close games
@ Purdue by 1, at home by 5 to Quinnipiac in OT & at home to Maine by7. Harvard was in the flow five other games when they handled their opposition by between 19-45 point margins. They crushed La Salle at home by 45, they shocked Rhode Island on the road in their last game by 33, beat Cal State Northridge on the road by 20, beat Boston University at home by 20 and Sienna on the road by 19.

I have not seen Harvard play this season but by reviewing their resume, I would guess that this game will be w/in 10 points. Cal is due to be flat after they played in front of a huge crowd vs UConn. They have not dominated any opponent in the initial twenty minutes so I would be surprised if they erupt big today.

Kristine Anigwe has been in a three game shooting slump (36%+) in her last three games. It's time for her to
"right the ship" heading into conference play next weekend against UCLA & USC. GO BEARS!
Schroeder71
Harvard on target with six treys in 1st quarter and jumps out to 30-22 lead. Anigwe picks up two fouls already.

Halftime: Crimson 43, Bears 40. Harvard shot 63% from the floor against Cal's non-existent defense. Ouch!
CalFanatic
Just checked the score and feel as if I've potentially ruined a vacation. Down 15 against an Ivy League? Harvard shooting 70 percent?

What is going on?! Let's go Bears!!
CalFanatic
Forbes is having herself a breakout game, at least.

Just read a fan tweet from the game describing the defense as "abysmal. Can't get any worse." Is it just Harvard playing out of their minds? Doesn't sound like us.
CalFanatic
Nice recovery going into half. 43-40 Harvard. GO BEARS
gljone
Cal has gotten lost on defense so many times already...lost count. 2nd Q better...activity picked up. If defense shows up in 2nd half, Bears should be okay
Schroeder71
Harvard's two posts Boehm & Levy have outplayed and outscored Cal's 2 posts by 24 to 20 points! Their trio of starting guards also outplayed & outscored Cal's three guards. The Crimson backcourt registered 24 assists against only 8 turnovers (3:1 ratio)! The Ivy Leaguers were clutch from the free throw line, too, missing only two
charity tosses versus the Bear's ten miscues. Harvard rates an "A" grade and deserves the upset victory!

https://calbears.com/documents/2018/12/30//11_Harvard.pdf

If Anigwe continues her poor play, Cal will soon lose their top 25 ranking. Today, she shot 27.2% (3-11) from the
floor while having two of her shots blocked by 6-3 Boehm down the stretch...She also embarrassed herself from the free throw line, hitting 6 of 14 chances for 42.8%. Harvard strategized to foul the Cal star near the end of the game, figuring she would not do better than 1 out of 2 and they were correct. Oouch! If it wasn't for a breakout
game for frosh McKenzie Forbes (22 points), the Crimson would have prevailed by double digits. Forbes was fired
up because her brother is a member of Harvard's men's team.

Will Cal players ever show the effort that team's like Harvard display? Crimson blocked six shots while the bigger/taller Bears blocked zero. GO BEARS!
gljone
So many <bleeping> defensive breakdowns
stu
Couldn't see the game because I was sick. Apparently I'm not the only one.

Harvard shot 53% overall, 54% on threes, and 83% from the line. More remarkable they had 24 assists on 31 baskets.

Cal shot 41% overall, 41% on threes, and 46% from the line. Without Kenzie hitting 6 of 8 threes we get blown out. Without Kristine missing 8 FG and 8 FT maybe we win.

We played half the game with CJ and Kristine both in. Did that affect our perimeter defense?
annarborbear
I think we will still do well in the conference if we remember that our calling card needs to be defense, not trying to outscore people. A wake-up call in this one.

Harvard's coach has been there an amazing 37 years, and has the Ivy League record for total career wins.
annarborbear
#17 ASU is putting on a brutal shooting performance against Arizona - 24% from the field and 8% on threes. I guess you can't teach shooting.

ASU goes down 51-39. Only offense in that entire game was McDonald going one-on-one. Big crowd of 5006 in attendance in Tucson
wvitbear
CJ had to leave the court in the first half due to her back. She did return for the second half. Don't know if you can depend on her for a large number of minutes.
bearister
A patronizing thread headline that backfired.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HoopDreams
bearister said:

A patronizing thread headline that backfired.
in what way was the headline patronizing?
it had a lot of good info on an upcoming opponent, and was actually about the topic of a basketball game.

what is your issue with S71?

And happy new years to you.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my jo,
For auld lang syne.
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp!
And surely I'll be mine!
And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.