Cal 33, ASU 32 half

3,738 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by IssyBear
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When is the last time Cal has led at intermission? Anigwe scored her six points in the final two minutes of the half to put the Bears in front.. KA & West scored six points while Ibis (13) & Chapman (6) dominated w/ 19 points.

Cal's guards continue to run under screens, allowing open shots for the Sun Devils...Anigwe has allowed three treys by Ibis without going out on her.

Anigwe looks dead on her feet in front of her family. She played the full 40 minutes on Friday night. The only Bears playing inspired ball in the first half were Jaelyn Brown & Kenzie Forbes. Everyone else.appeared like they're going through the motions...

Gottieb needs to get her troops to play harder if Cal wants avoid the bottom feeders at the bottom of the league with zero or one victory...The Bear guards need to score in double figures to win. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Really? Not Thomas either? She has 3 assists, 3 steals and 6 points to go along with it. She sure looks like she's playing "inspired" to me too.
CalFanatic
I think we look a hell of a lot better than we did vs. Arizona. U of A game was painful to watch. 43-42 Cal right now.

calbear80
We need to win this one to stay in the race.

Go Bears!
CalFanatic
ASU got hot there at the end... 52-48 ASU end of 3.

Why is that one person always seems to "go off" vs. us? Ibis is hitting everything today.
CalFanatic
Forbes is feeling it from the 3. 54-51 ASU after her second in a few minutes. Beautiful shot.
CalFanatic
Anigwe 9-10 from the FT line. The release looks perfect. Wonder what happened from U of A to ASU?
calbear80
KA with another double double.

KA (Double Double Machine)!

Go Bears!
CalFanatic
What in the absolute hell was that last possession from us?

You have the opportunity to go TWO for ONE possessions in the last minute and you don't even get a shot off?! COACHING!
CalFanatic
Potentially two opportunities to win and you leave yourself with zero chances!
CalFanatic
ASU hits one FT with 4 seconds left

ASU 62-61.... TO CAL
calbear80
4.2 seconds left and down by 1. Need a basket here.
ncbears
No foul? And Cal can't close out again
CalFanatic
ASU wins 62-61
calbear80
KA was fouled on that last play, but, the refs did not call it. Ouch!

Go Bears!
stu
CalFanatic said:

What in the absolute hell was that last possession from us?

You have the opportunity to go TWO for ONE possessions in the last minute and you don't even get a shot off?! COACHING!
Asha had a wide open shot. Didn't take it. What were we thinking?

But overall I think the difference was defense. ASU played tight, pressure D and made us earn every point. We played back and gave them easier shots. That tough D is something we've lost in recent years.
IssyBear
One note Gottlieb lobs another wild one into the post with 4 seconds left.
annarborbear
Puts us in ninth place in the conference. But we are still ahead of Washington, USC and Colorado.
stu
IssyBear said:

Nobody else was open. Kristine caught the ball but was in an awkward position and didn't get a good shot off. Probably had time to come down, pivot, and go back up.
stu
annarborbear said:

Puts us in ninth place in the conference. But we are still ahead of Washington, USC and Colorado.
I think the top 4 are way out of reach. With 3 losses already to teams in the middle we'll have to pick it up a couple of notches to stay out of the bottom 4.
wifeisafurd
Once again, no coffee. Wonder how low this team can go in conference?

Can they even get a bye for the first day of the conference tourney (I'm assign that winning the tourney is there only shot at the big dance)? Can they beat SC away? Washington maybe? Colorado looks terrible. Not seeing any other games they should be favored. What a waste of talent. Feel sorry for KA.

Edit: didn't see Stu addressed.
socaliganbear
Relative to talent, Lindsey's Gotta be among the most disappointing coaches currently at Cal. If not #1.
stu
I'd love to see our coaches get better defense and rebounding out of our guards. We might try playing 2 of Jaelyn, Kenzie, and Alaysia together with 1 center and 2 guards. And give Mo some quality minutes. With a little more rest our guards might be able to give us a little more energy.
blungld
I believe the is the third last possession situation in a row where we don't even get a shot off.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
annarborbear
We started CJ with Kristine in this one, and it looked like a good move, even though CJ picked up some early fouls. But then CJ played only 11 total minutes and Brown too over. Not sure if this was a coaching adjustment or something else. Would have liked to see if the twin towers combo could have kept up the good initial results.
ncbears
stu said:

IssyBear said:

Nobody else was open. Kristine caught the ball but was in an awkward position and didn't get a good shot off. Probably had time to come down, pivot, and go back up.
Exactly, and it wasn't a bad play. The pass got fairly cleanly to KA. KA may have rushed it. It was not a "wild one" into the post. Indeed, in the second half, I think there were few "wild" passes to the Post. Credit to ASU defense - and demerits to Gottlieb for another last minute failure of execution.
Schroeder71
Cal has lost 5 of its last 6 games! The good news is that only the UConn loss was more than 5-6 points. All of the other five games (1-4) were close and ended approximately with a five point margin or less. It shows that the Bear's senior-laden team is close but does not know how to finish games (or start them). I actually believe that most of the losses and close games are caused by how poorly Cal has come out and played the first half of games this season.

Maybe the team "bought in" to Gottlieb's consistent diatribe about how *special* this team is and how they are going to make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament. Personally-I don't want to hear that crap from the head coach any more until they're invited to the NCAA Tournament. This is an underachieving veteran team with three senior starters and a coach that could not diagram a successful play out of a timeout to save her life. The team is horrific on basic fundamentals of the game of basketball. The coaching staff is doing a poor job of teaching 'em.

KA has had one good shooting game in the sad six game slide with a 50% field goal percentage vs Arizona on Friday night. She has shot in the thirty percent range in the rest. Today-she returned to normal with 5 out of 17 from the floor for 29%. Kianna Ibis went off for 26 points (identical to last year) and she converted 75% of her efforts (9-12). She went four for four from three point land without a Bear contesting one of them. I believe that Anigwe was responsible for all four treys...I stated this previously but it's amazing how Cal is allowing the other team's leading scorer to *go off* game after game for close to half of their respective team's points. The coaching staff should be able to orchestrate a defense to stop the opposition's star. Did anyone notice how tough it was for Anigwe to get open vs ASU? Charli Turner-Thorne is a quality coach that has figured out Gottlieb long ago. This senior class of Anigwe & Co has lost four consecutive years in Tempe and only beaten the Devils once during regular season play. Did anyone notice how tight ASU's man-to-man defense was and how they kept their hands up? This is why they are in the top two in the conference in fewest points allowed.

With Washington and Washington State visiting Berkeley next weekend, it will be "bottom dwelling wankers" battling it out to see who is king of the bottom five teams in the Pac 12. It should be interesting...

I'm sorry if I'm tough on Gottlieb and this team but I'm angry with all of the inexcusable mistakes that I witness every week. I try not to watch the games live but today I did...My anger bursts forth. I don't know how you season ticket holders can attend these games.

GO BEARS!
ncbears
I'm guessing that Cal's plan is to let the other team's star go off - with the idea that stopping everyone else will lead to a Cal win. And Cal held ASU to no field goals, I believe, for the last 5-6 minutes of the game. There were a few fouls called in there, so I won't say it was terrific defense. But ASU was fouling Cal as well.
IssyBear
ncbears said:

stu said:

IssyBear said:

Exactly, and it wasn't a bad play. The pass got fairly cleanly to KA. KA may have rushed it. It was not a "wild one" into the post. Indeed, in the second half, I think there were few "wild" passes to the Post. Credit to ASU defense - and demerits to Gottlieb for another last minute failure of execution.
It was an out of bounds play from the side court. There was 4.5 seconds on the clock. The game was on the line. So what was the play that was called? Was the lob to the post the designed play, or was it a desperation pass because no one else was open?

If we had another play called that was stymied by good D, and the toss to the post was our only option, I accept that it was a positive effort. To me at the time, and with our history of forcing passes to the post, it looked like more of the same. Hope you're right and I'm wrong. BTW, it was a decent pass considering the degree of difficulty. I therefore retract the word "wild".
GATC
IssyBear said:

ncbears said:

stu said:

IssyBear said:

It was an out of bounds play from the side court. There was 4.5 seconds on the clock. The game was on the line. So what was the play that was called? Was the lob to the post the designed play, or was it a desperation pass because no one else was open?

If we had another play called that was stymied by good D, and the toss to the post was our only option, I accept that it was a positive effort. To me at the time, and with our history of forcing passes to the post, it looked like more of the same. Hope you're right and I'm wrong. BTW, it was a decent pass considering the degree of difficulty. I therefore retract the word "wild".
GATC
GATC said:

IssyBear said:

ncbears said:

stu said:

IssyBear said:

The lob was called. LG called it before a few games ago but at that time it was covered and Thomas got the ball and made it. This time Ryan followed Thomas as she looped and Richardson was on Smith and left Anigwe with a single team. But Richardson kept an eye on Forbes and baited here and got back in time to block anigwe's shot.
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

I'm sorry if I'm tough on Gottlieb and this team but I'm angry with all of the inexcusable mistakes that I witness every week. I try not to watch the games live but today I did...My anger bursts forth. I don't know how you season ticket holders can attend these games.

GO BEARS!
This is how I feel too.... I wonder sometimes if I am being too hard on LG. At the end of the day, this team has so much freakin' talent- this is a Sweet 16 team!!! But the "inexcusable mistakes" and just flat out stupid, piss poor preparation leaves us not reaching our potential. As a fan, it is so frustrating!! These young women have so much talent!
annarborbear
bearchamp
Forget the last play, several times Cal couldn't even get the ball in against the press after a basket. That is a coaching failure. This team plays marginally better basketball than last year, but still ends up with a lot of one on one dribbling.
blungld
IssyBear said:

ncbears said:

stu said:

IssyBear said:

We were in a tough spot with the 4.5 and that call wasn't bad and I bet 7 out of 10 times KA catches and scores that. The problem was the possession before that could/should have decided the game, but even with a timeout and full shot clock ended without a shot. That is inexcusable and has happened other times this year.

The first 5-10 minutes and last two minutes of games have not been well-coached or what a senior-led talented Cal team should look like.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.