Recruiting News 2020

2,438 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are on a list of 8 finalists for 6'3" W/F Angela Dugalic of Maine West HS (Des Plaines, IL).

Ranked #33 overall by ESPN and also considering UCLA, Illinois, Marquette, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon.

ESPN rival: "USJN-April 2018: Agile faceup-4 with college-ready frame delivers off the dribble, mismatch creator; elevates with soft touch in key; quick in block, active on the glass; emerging dominance in the key; shot blocking presence, superb in transition; a stock-riser in the class of 2020. (Olson)"

annarborbear
wbbilluminati said:

We are on a list of 8 finalists for 6'3" W/F Angela Dugalic of Maine West HS (Des Plaines, IL).

Ranked #33 overall by ESPN and also considering UCLA, Illinois, Marquette, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon.

ESPN rival: "USJN-April 2018: Agile faceup-4 with college-ready frame delivers off the dribble, mismatch creator; elevates with soft touch in key; quick in block, active on the glass; emerging dominance in the key; shot blocking presence, superb in transition; a stock-riser in the class of 2020. (Olson)"

Maine West is a good academic school, so that could help. She ran the quarter mile in track as a sophomore. So may have more speed and stamina than some other posts.
calbear80
Any possibilities for 2019? Are we still in the mix for anybody? Any transfers?

KA (Double Double Machine) is a Senior and next year her 18 points/14 rebounds a game will be gone and we will be hurting big time.

Go Bears!
roqmoq
calbear80 said:

Any possibilities for 2019? Are we still in the mix for anybody? Any transfers?

KA (Double Double Machine) is a Senior and next year his 18 points/14 rebounds a game will be gone and we will be hurting big time.

Go Bears!
Last time I looked, KA is a "she". cb80, you are so wrapped up with our unnamed men's BB coach, you forgot which board you were on.
wbbilluminati
Meanwhile, in addition to Dugalic, UCLA is also in the mix for the #7, #11, & #12 recruits: https://wbbblog.com/2019/01/14/2020-class-finalists/

UCLA will definitely be focusing on post players for their 2020 class.

Stanford seems to still have some major possibilities on the recruiting front, including 2020 #1 Paige Beuckers and 2021 #1 Azzi Fudd.

blungld
wbbilluminati said:

Meanwhile, in addition to Dugalic, UCLA is also in the mix for the #7, #11, & #12 recruits: https://wbbblog.com/2019/01/14/2020-class-finalists/

Stanford seems to still have some major possibilities on the recruiting front, including 2020 #1 Paige Beuckers and 2021 #1 Azzi Fudd.

Yikes. It seem like we are going to get waxed by the PAC the next few years, and we didn't do the waxing when we had our best team (this year). Really frustrating to watch these 9-0 starts (and there have been some decent out of conference wins the past few years) fall apart into .500 season in conference. When this team hits adversity, it appears to fold, panic, and sulk. This was the year I thought I'd see some toughness and resilience. Could some of this be too nice a couch?

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
SFCALBear72
blungld said:

wbbilluminati said:

Yikes. It seem like we are going to get waxed by the PAC the next few years, and we didn't do the waxing when we had our best team (this year). Really frustrating to watch these 9-0 starts (and there have been some decent out of conference wins the past few years) fall apart into .500 season in conference. When this team hits adversity, it appears to fold, panic, and sulk. This was the year I thought I'd see some toughness and resilience. Could some of this be too nice a couch?
Example(s) of folding and sulking, please? Comebacks against UCONN, UCLA and Arizona with chances to win. ASU game came down to the wire as well.

"too nice a couch?" Maybe a comfortable chair instead?
Finnish Oski
Those comebacks you sited and the close game against ASU were all losses. In the past few years under Gottlieb the Bears have rarely won against a higher ranked opponent or even a tough opponent on the road. The win against Stanfurd last year was an exception.Maybe the team doesn't always sulk or fold but they rarely win the big one and far too often it comes down to being out coached. I don't have evidence that LG is too soft on players but it's becoming increasingly evident that she does not get the most out of players either as a team or as individuals.
(BTW, my first comment here.)
blungld
SFCALBear72 said:

blungld said:

wbbilluminati said:

Example(s) of folding and sulking, please? Comebacks against UCONN, UCLA and Arizona with chances to win. ASU game came down to the wire as well.

"too nice a couch?" Maybe a comfortable chair instead?
I don't mean to disparage players or the program, and living as I do now in CT these are not informed observations from being there in person or knowing players/families personally...but what I see on TV is a team that plays very confidently at the start of the season (the past 3-4 years) then loses one and goes into a tailspin.

Additionally, I see some bad body language at times when they hit adversity that does not look like collective gritty determination. And they have not won a lot of the close games, and when they lose there seems to be poor energy at the start of games and nervousness at the end (with a healthy sprinkling of reckless turnovers and missed bunnies).

Together all of this reads to me as panic and sulking--maybe there are better words though.

LG seems like a great person and I have rooted for her all along--but this year I am starting to lose patience for seeing the same things and for not seeing a group of seniors play like it. I have no idea, but I wonder if the always smiling and clapping has an edge elsewhere that we do not see because this team looks like it needs a kick in the pants.

Individually I know these girls are tough and determined, and each has their moments of playing that way too, but as a group they don't play tough and determined--more like a post and a prayer...and sometimes a pout.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
GATC
Finnish Oski said:

Those comebacks you sited and the close game against ASU were all losses. In the past few years under Gottlieb the Bears have rarely won against a higher ranked opponent or even a tough opponent on the road. The win against Stanfurd last year was an exception.Maybe the team doesn't always sulk or fold but they rarely win the big one and far too often it comes down to being out coached. I don't have evidence that LG is too soft on players but it's becoming increasingly evident that she does not get the most out of players either as a team or as individuals.
(BTW, my first comment here.)
Good comments.

The games against Stanford are interesting in that Tara held Anigwe to 11 and 9 shots but the rest of the team shot better than their average resulting in a 12 point win at home and a 5 point loss away. These were the best games we played all last year IMO.
bobbk
bobbk

A commit
Finnish Oski
Welcome to Cal, Jazlen. Nice to have her here but she hardly addresses the team's need for bigs next season. Is it just going to be CJ and (gulp) Chen?
SFCALBear72
And Alaysia Styles who's 6'3".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.