New 2019 Commit: 5'10" SG Jazlen Green (Lake Elsinore, CA)

6,021 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Newbear10
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WBB: Jazlen Green, 5-10 SG, Lakeside HS (Lake Elsinore, CA2019), has announced her commitment to Cal. The Golden Bears signed two guards in November for their 2019 class: Cailyn Crocker and Lauren Fields.
SFCALBear72
Jazlen's team is currently 15-2 and 4-0 in league play. The team picture on MaxPreps shows only 8 players. If true, they've accomplished some great things so far this season. Only losses were to out-of-state teams at the Nike Tournament of Champions in Phoenix in December.
wvitbear
Her teem won the Emerald division in the Jamboree.

I have felt we need another guard although I know we need a big person. With Cayton's knee injury, she may never make it back.
CalFanatic
Congrats to Jazlen! Any idea which club team she plays for? Not locating off an initial search. Always great to have additional strength at the 1 and 2 positions.
patsweetpat
Congrats on the pickup, and congrats to Jazlen for earning a ride to an amazing program and school!
GATC
wvitbear said:

Her teem won the Emerald division in the Jamboree.

I have felt we need another guard although I know we need a big person. With Cayton's knee injury, she may never make it back.
That's true. Even though we will have 9 guards 2 are injured and 2 are walk-ons.
GATC
Welcome.

Good players are definitely needed next year with 2 returning starters (Smith and Brown) and 3 returning rotational players (West, Forbes, Styles). We will need a lot of contribution from the freshmen.
wbbilluminati
There are some videos of Green on YouTube. Of course take it with a grain of salt, but I must admit she looks solid. A rangy/long (fluid) athlete who seems to have good ball handling skills.

I was skeptical since I had not heard of her at all before as she does not have an ESPN or Prospects Nation profile and doesn't even have much ink from more local sources, but hopefully she's a bit of a sleeper.

Here's to hoping she was a 'find'!
CalFanatic
wbbilluminati said:

There are some videos of Green on YouTube. Of course take it with a grain of salt, but I must admit she looks solid. A rangy/long (fluid) athlete who seems to have good ball handling skills.

I was skeptical since I had not heard of her at all before as she does not have an ESPN or Prospects Nation profile and doesn't even have much ink from more local sources, but hopefully she's a bit of a sleeper.

Here's to hoping she was a 'find'!
I echo this. Looks like a very good shooter/athlete but I can't find much information on her. Does anyone know:

1) Who else she was recruited by?
2) How long we have been recruiting her?
3) Her club team?
4) Role projection in college?
Schroeder71
Welcome to Miss Green! I scoured a couple of rating services through 100 & 150 players, respectively, and she is not ranked. I also hit MaxPreps but her coach does not post team stats. I reviewed their schedule and they beat some decent teams so I'm certain that she is a solid player. She's a 5-10 SG-I wonder if Mi'cole Cayton will become healthy enough to return next season. She would give Cal six (6) returning rotational quality players plus ChenYue as a backup post plus three guards to replace Asha Thomas, Re'cee Caldwell & Mo Mosely. Only the Mater Dei PG Caitlin Crocker is ranked in the top 100 players nationally and looked good on her video. I would assume that she would make the playing rotation in 2019-20 which would give the Bears seven Div I players. It will give Cal 10 scholarship players which is bare bones...Cal needs to go out and grab two post. players with size that can play inside and rebound. Both Fields and Green will have to prove that they're Pac 12 caliber backcourt players on the court next season. This three player recruit class does not match up on paper to the rest of the conference. It's not close. GO BEARS!
wvitbear
She was rated number 71 by one recruiting agency.
annarborbear
How about Bear Insider doing an article about and an interview with Green? Would like to know more about her story.
wbbilluminati
wvitbear said:

She was rated number 71 by one recruiting agency.
Which agency?

She definitely seems better than a "desperation" recruit. A possible real sleeper. Maybe a Mercedes Jefflo-caliber player.

I wonder who she played AAU with.
CalFanatic
Maybe Jefflo but more of a scorer. Not a lot of information on her but two things are definitely clear:

1) Plays for a very strong HS program
2) Can score in big batches. A simple search shows recaps of a 33, 34 and 40 point game from her
wvitbear
Nice research Cal Fanatic. I'm a low tech man in a high tech world myself.
wbbilluminati
ASGR has added a ranking for our incoming Cailyn Crocker: #51.

Not bad.
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

ASGR has added a ranking for our incoming Cailyn Crocker: #51.

Not bad.

Cailyn Crocker earned Player of the game with 23 pts, 5 assists, 9 rebounds last night at HoopHall Classic in Springfield MA against nationally-ranked Christ The King. Tough 69-66 OT loss.
longseeker
I wish we could get some players from the peninsula like from Mitty, Pinewood, etc and our own backyard like Miramonte , Carondolet, etc.. These schools produce players with good fundamentals, outside shooting skills.basketball smarts from top notch coaches. I don't think Cal is ever considered by these Bay Area athletes and can't wait until Ionescue graduates!!
GATC
Oregon 20-0 over Arizona. 3:59 left in first quarter.
CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

Maybe Jefflo but more of a scorer. Not a lot of information on her but two things are definitely clear:

2) Can score in big batches. A simple search shows recaps of a 33, 34 and 40 point game from her

Maybe these 30-40 point games are more normal than originally thought.

https://www.pe.com/2019/01/22/jazlen-green-leads-comeback-in-lakeside-basketball-victory-over-north/

16-16 from the FT line!! Music to my ears
GATC
CalFanatic said:

CalFanatic said:

Maybe these 30-40 point games are more normal than originally thought.

https://www.pe.com/2019/01/22/jazlen-green-leads-comeback-in-lakeside-basketball-victory-over-north/

16-16 from the FT line!! Music to my ears
Very encouraging. Good too see someone play well when the pressure is on or when you are down.
SFCALBear72
The comeback was against JW North HS. I believe Kianna Smith's sister plays for that team.
wvitbear
Kiana played at Troy. But her sister could have moved on. Lakeside is rated 15th in the state. They are a division II school.
wbbilluminati
ASGR has updated their recruiting rankings to include "Jazzy" Green with Cal's 2019 class. They have her ranked #102 for the class, which is pretty good for a pickup this late that no one here seemed to have heard of!

Cal's class rated #34 in nationally with Crock at #51 and Fields at #122.

I'm curious to learn more about her recruitment, but overall optimistic about her commitment.
CalFanatic
Looks like she sat out her junior year due to injury, so probably why she sort of "flew under the radar".

#34 nationally and #6th in the conference in the rankings... not bad. Still holding out for our biggest need, a post. Will be interesting to see if we can land a high level transfer or European (spain?) post. If not, we will be integrating a 4 guard/wing lineup next year!

puget sound cal fan
Green sounds like a good pick-up at Guard, but what's happening with the Bears' priority on signing at least one big in this class? With Anigwe gone after this season, CJ will be the only true post on the roster. She'll be a Senior next season?
Newbear10
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.