2019 Int'l Post Commit

6,302 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wbbilluminati
GATC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
stu said:

GATC said:

Penina ... Her rebounding and strength improved but I think her shooting regressed.

I could be wrong but I got the impression our coaches didn't want her to shoot threes. But I think her shooting near the basket did get better.
It was clear that they didn't because they would yell as her when she did and she got discouraged. She shot 40% on 3's her freshman year then went downhill. She really looks great on 3's when she came in. Just like Cowling looks great in the practice with the men's team. Didn't get a chance to show her full potential in games (actually she did in the Pac12 tournament her sophomore year and the Arizona game her junior year). Chen was great on free throws when she came in. Now she finishes with her hands going off to the sides and she is inaccurate. She went from 83% career to 50% this year.
annarborbear
I remember one play against Stanford when Penina was open at the top of the key and instead of shooting tried to get it into a quadruple-teamed Anigwe. At other times it was like playing 4 on 5 due to her reluctance and/or instruction not to take that shot when she was open.
annarborbear
As the rain continues, I watched some of the Netherlands-Finland game today. Schipholt finally took a medium-range shot from 10 feet and made it, with some nice rotation on the ball. However, for some reason, she took the shot flat-footed. So there will be some work to do on her offensive game,
ClayK
Cal will definitely need help inside, as if Chen Yue contributes, it would be an epic surprise.

Consider that in her last two years, she has played a total of 69 minutes and gone 2 for 13 from the field. With eight rebounds, she averages one rebound for every 8.5 minutes (Anigwe gets one rebound every 2+ minutes and West one every 4+), and she has 0 assists.

R90
ClayK said:

Cal will definitely need help inside, as if Chen Yue contributes, it would be an epic surprise.

Consider that in her last two years, she has played a total of 69 minutes and gone 2 for 13 from the field. With eight rebounds, she averages one rebound for every 8.5 minutes (Anigwe gets one rebound every 2+ minutes and West one every 4+), and she has 0 assists.
Rebounds per 40 minutes this season:
18.5 Anigwe
9.6 Styles
9.5 West
7.2 Yue
6.6 Brown

Styles and West may be the starters, with Yue and Schipholt contributing minutes in the post.
We can also go with a smaller lineup if we have enough productive guards. Forbes and Brown can play the 4 if needed.

annarborbear
It always comes down to whether other PAC12 teams are getting better or worse and whether we are getting better or worse. There are a lot of highly-rated recruiting classes coming into the league next year. But will have to see which players are actually ready to play.
wbbilluminati
Almost no point speculating about Schipholt. We'll just have to wait and see, but it's a nice relief to simply get a body.

Her height doesn't make a difference to me at this point. Chen didn't pan out for us at 6'6" and Ashley Walker was spectacular inside for us at just ~5'11".

Schipholt seems to be able to shoot with her arm outstretched so she can hook the ball in around or away from taller and longer defenders. Alysha Clark of the Seattle Storm sort of had a similar looking shot as a 5'11" inside player and it was very very effective, leading the nation in scoring during college (though she's developed more of a perimeter game as a pro).

Her FIBA stats are great, though I'm not aware of the quality of the tournament(s) she logged those at.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.