Wazzu vs. Cal in Las Vegas

2,580 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wvitbear
R90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal 2-10 from 3, and down 21-18 after 1.

Wazzu running good offense and getting good shots.

Cal doing well on the boards with 5 offensive rebounds.

KA 4 points and 5 rebounds.
It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
R90
4 nice buckets for KA and Cal up 26-21.
R90
30-22, as Wazzu calls timeout.

6 Bears with rebounds, KA with just 6 of 20 boards.

CJ West makes a brief appearance. We'll need her for depth if we're going to make a run in this tournament.
pearbear
Bears were a step slow in the first quarter, especially on defense.

But now they're playing with better energy.
R90
Refs with a couple very questionable out of bounds calls going Wazzu's way and a bogus foul call against Brown helped swing the mood and momentum.

They hit a couple 3s and we went cold.

36-34 Cal at the half.

blungld
So you might want to realize Molina is going to drive and soot a layup wide at the baseline every time.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
R90
Cal up 58-51 after 3.
23 and 11 for Anigwe, and her 31st straight double-double, for those who care about such stats.
8 and 7 for Brown, who looks as strong and quick on the boards as KA, with less height and grace.

R90
Good defense forces a shot clock violation.

19 pt, lead with 4:30 to go. Work the clock and save energy for tomorrow.
IssyBear
They need to sub and slow things down. They could be playing 3 more nights in a row. Save energy for tomorrow.
blungld
You knew it would be scrappier than last game, but solid performance. The Bears have righted the ship it seems to me. We can win tomorrow if JB and KS/Forbes score.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
HoopDreams
KA with the Cal record for blocks with 3 in this game
she has completely crushed the Cal record books

an interesting note, that WSU has 3 sisters from hawaii, and the junior Chanelle Molina played a great game with 24 points. In the lineup she was crying as her season just ended. As only a junior she has another year to play with her sisters.

I hope we don't play against a small, quick PG in the NCAA, as everyone we've played this year has just shredded us. I'm a broken record on this, but we are really missing our defensive stopper in Cayton this year
R90
Postgame interview... Anigwe says the big difference between game 1 and game 2 vs. Stanford was tempo. Look for Cal to push the ball on Stanford misses.

The subs looked good in their 3 and a half minutes. Mosely, Styles, West, Yue, Archer, all can step in if the starters need a breather.

wvitbear
Played like they have all season. Get behind. Right the ship and blast out the second half. Usually no defense the first half and then tighten up the second half.

Thomas again didn't score in the first half and didn't score till the 4 th period. Kiana Smith has been playing great for awhile.

On till tomorrow.
BearBint
R90 said:

23 and 11 for Anigwe, and her 31st straight double-double, for those who care about such stats.
8 and 7 for Brown, who looks as strong and quick on the boards as KA, with less height and grace.

I love such stats; they help keep me optimistic when I think about our current political situation.

P.S. Quoth ESPN: "Kristine Anigwe had 27 points and 16 rebounds to lead seventh-seeded Cal to a 77-58 win over ..."

27 and 16? I know that Wazzu is not a real great team, but these are now "normal" stats from K.A. Even against Palo Alto, she was roughly 25-25 here, and 20-20 there. It'll be interesting to follow her numbers in the WNBA.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
R90
BearBint said:

P.S. Quoth ESPN: "Kristine Anigwe had 27 points and 16 rebounds to lead seventh-seeded Cal to a 77-58 win over ..."

27 and 16? I know that Wazzu is not a real great team, but these are now "normal" stats from K.A. Even against Palo Alto, she was roughly 25-25 here, and 20-20 there. It'll be interesting to follow her numbers in the WNBA.
Unlike last game, when KA had 60% of the team's rebounds. This game she only had 33%. Her teammates were also crashing the boards too, so she didn't get many easy ones.

Cal out rebounded WSU 48-24.

To me it looked like KA was rebounding and playing even better tonight than in her 32-30 game.
stu
R90 said:

The subs looked good in their 3 and a half minutes. Mosely, Styles, West, Yue, Archer, all can step in if the starters need a breather.

I was dismayed to see just 6 players got all but 16 of the 200 minutes. We're playing 4 games in 4 days so I'd like to keep everyone as fresh as possible.
R90
stu said:

R90 said:

I was dismayed to see just 6 players got all but 16 of the 200 minutes. We're playing 4 games in 4 days so I'd like to keep everyone as fresh as possible.
I don't think the game was safely in hand until Thomas hit the 3 that pus us up 17 with 4:46 to play. Even before then we'd started slowing the pace down, partially resting the players.

More minutes for the subs would have been better for my tastes too, but for Lindsay 3 and a half minutes was an eternity to play the bench, and I was glad to see it.
calbear80
R90 said:

stu said:

R90 said:

I don't think the game was safely in hand until Thomas hit the 3 that pus us up 17 with 4:46 to play. Even before then we'd started slowing the pace down, partially resting the players.

More minutes for the subs would have been better for my tastes too, but for Lindsay 3 and a half minutes was an eternity to play the bench, and I was glad to see it.

Agree. The game was not safely in hand until AT hit that 3 with about 4 minutes to go. WSU and specially Molina were very feisty and kept trying to come back and on a few occasions earlier had reduced the 8 point lead to 2 very quickly.

Go Bears!
wvitbear
An interesting game in that the refs let them play. Anigwe shot 6 free throws but was fouled a lot more. And maybe it was good she didn't shoot more free throws as she was one of six. This is a concern. She goes up and down in the season. How I tell in a live game if she is shooting well is to watch the rotations of the ball. I don't look at her. I only look to see how the ball is rotating. And if is a good rotation, i expect it to be made. But if it is a bad rotation then you can tell also. Can't tell on TV as you can't see the rotation.

Each team only had 9 fouls each called on them. Think of that. That is only 2 per period. Neither team ever shot in the bonus.

On another post, someone mentioned that their were three Hawaiians on the roster. WSU has had a Hawaiian pipe line for awhile. Had a couple of great guards a few years ago.
bearchamp
Molina is good, but the coaches didn't adjust to stop the plain old pick and roll. Should have stopped about 20 points.
CalFanatic
After the MB win last night.... lets sweep the Furd! Go Bears!
GATC
wvitbear said:

An interesting game in that the refs let them play. Anigwe shot 6 free throws but was fouled a lot more. And maybe it was good she didn't shoot more free throws as she was one of six. This is a concern. She goes up and down in the season. How I tell in a live game if she is shooting well is to watch the rotations of the ball. I don't look at her. I only look to see how the ball is rotating. And if is a good rotation, i expect it to be made. But if it is a bad rotation then you can tell also. Can't tell on TV as you can't see the rotation.

Each team only had 9 fouls each called on them. Think of that. That is only 2 per period. Neither team ever shot in the bonus.

On another post, someone mentioned that their were three Hawaiians on the roster. WSU has had a Hawaiian pipe line for awhile. Had a couple of great guards a few years ago.
Not sure if I would call it a pipeline. I think they are sisters. At least they look alike and are Molina's with first names starting with "C".
GATC
bearchamp said:

Molina is good, but the coaches didn't adjust to stop the plain old pick and roll. Should have stopped about 20 points.
We are slow in reacting to the pick and roll and back door cuts. But there were quite a few times when the guard got past her defender and drove with Anigwe in position and still scored. Anigwe is much better at defender her player than a driving guard. As someone pointed out here that is why all the teams do this against us during crunch time.
wvitbear
Was thinking of Lia Galdeira and Dawnyelle Awa. Two players around 2015 to 2016. Very good players.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.