UCLA vs. Oregon semi-final

2,483 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wvitbear
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UCLA lost by a mere 5 points in O.T.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401119761

Wow, that was fairly epic. I missed the almost-last-minute technical foul; who did what to allow the Ducks those free throws?

Anyway, congrats on a very good game by your Bruins, Pat. BearBloke was hollering as if it were Cal.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
GOLDEN
BearBint said:

Wow, that was fairly epic. I missed the almost-last-minute technical foul; who did what to allow the Ducks those free throws?

Anyway, congrats on a very good game by your Bruins, Pat. BearBloke was hollering as if it were Cal.

Technical was Coach Close. Heard she threw a clip board at a ref but did not see it myself.
GATC
Ionescu had a very bad shooting night. Reminiscent of the two games against us two years ago when Cayton defended her.
wvitbear
Cory had a bad night. Who gets a technical in OT when you are tied or leading? And the last play of the game was a farce.
patsweetpat
GOLDEN said:

BearBint said:

Technical was Coach Close. Heard she threw a clip board at a ref but did not see it myself.
The refs t'd her up for coming too far out onto the court.
BearBint
"The refs t'd her up for coming too far out onto the court. "

Am not surprised; the Bruins all but carry a picnic basket at their longer time-outs.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
bobbk
Actually Close throw papers on the floor Pat. She then came on the floor to kick them back toward the bench. Not a smart move in a lol
Close game

But the Bruins played great.
R90
GATC said:

Ionescu had a very bad shooting night. Reminiscent of the two games against us two years ago when Cayton defended her.
She's always had a lot of those, even this year as a junior:
5-19 vs. Mississippi St.
7-20 vs. Washington
5-19 vs. UCLA
5-16 vs. Washington
9-25 vs. Oregon St.
7-22 vs. Arizona St.
4-19 vs. UCLA

She's seventh on the ducks in shooting percentage, but takes the most shots by far.

Sabrina Ionescu takes 15.5 of her team's 60.0 shots per game.
She makes 44.3% of hers, while the rest of the team makes 53.4% of theirs.

Kristine Anigwe takes 16.3 of her team's 60.1 shots per game.
She makes 52.0% of her shots, while the rest of the team makes 42.6% of theirs.

Aari McDonald takes 18.9 of her team's 59.3 shots per game.
She makes 45.2% of her shots, while the rest of the team makes 42.3% of theirs.

Volume shooters are going to score a lot of points.
Anigwe does it much more efficiently and it makes sense for her to be the one doing the most shooting.
McDonald also should be her team's main scorer.
Queen Sabrina is a ball hog who's lucky to have a great supporting cast.
It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
GATC
Good analysts.

Per possession, we would score more points if we shoot 3's vs Anigwe shooting. But it is close. If you include the turnovers the gap become large.

Of course one could argue that we wouldn't be shooting 3's as well as we did if opponents didn't double or triple team Anigwe. But most of the 3's we shoot are not planned shots so one can argue that we would shoot better if the 3's were part of the game plan.
HoopDreams
R90 and gatc

Good analysis, points

One of the things that Monty did best, and a key element of how he could get the best of the teams that he had were to get his best players the most and best shots, and to limit and make the game of opponents best players difficult

Coach G seems to be doing a good job this year of the former, but if the opponents best player is a quick, talented guard, a terrible job of the latter
annarborbear
The Queen's team seems to be winning a lot of games. But I guess she has nothing to do with it.
HoopDreams
annarborbear said:

6The Queen's team seems to be winning a lot of games. But I guess she has nothing to do with it.
Scoring is one thing, but she is a PG

No doubt she has a lot to do with ducks success

But if she didn't force it so much, they would even be better

We will see how far they go in the ncaa

As a one seed the expectation is at least a final four
wvitbear
Remember when Hebbard was out they lost back to back games and one was at home.
GOLDEN
The Queen of the Pac-12 ball hogs without the back up numbers in other areas to justify it at times is Destiny Slocum at OSU. She cost OSU a couple of games this year. Dribble, dribble, dribble dribble, bad shot, dribble dribble dribble, one on one, bad pass, turnover.

It must cause Coach Rueck fits and he has benched her at times for that reason.
ClayK
Odd, isn't it, that ballhogging Sabrina leads the Pac-12 in assists? With an A/TO of 3.2 ...

annarborbear
ClayK said:

Odd, isn't it, that ballhogging Sabrina leads the Pac-12 in assists? With an A/TO of 3.2 ...

I presume that she is also doing what Kelly Graves thinks gives his team the best chance to win, although with occasional reminders and modifications. Graves mostly talks about the need for better team defense in his interviews.
grin&bearit
Let's keep it in perspective. Anigwe sits underneath the basic most of the game. She should actually have a higher shooting percentage. Maybe along the likes of a Kelani Brown from Baylor. The other shooters listed are mostly taking actual outside shots
stu
grin&bearit said:

Let's keep it in perspective. Anigwe sits underneath the basic most of the game. She should actually have a higher shooting percentage.

From what I've seen Kristine works very hard around the basket and scores against constant double teams, triple teams, and uncalled fouls. I'm fine with her taking difficult shots because her percentage on those is still better than the team as a whole.

I think she'll expand her perimeter skills at the next level. Also she probably won't be the focus of every defense.
HoopDreams
ClayK said:

Sabrina has great court vision, very good handles, and is a great passer. Sometimes she gets an assist with what looks like a simple pass to an open player. But those passes are delivered right where the player wants it. Precision passes. She is clearly the best PG in the conference.

When I said "forces it" a little, I am referring to her shooting. She is a very good shooter, and a good scorer, but I think if she was just a little more selective in her attempts the team would be better overall
wvitbear
Sabrina was 14 for 45 the last two games. Lots of shots and lots of misses.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.