Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Evalien Schipholt
Cal Basketball

Dutch Star Forward Schipholt Ready For Her New Home

March 28, 2019

With a big hole in their frontcourt with the upcoming graduation of surefire top five WNBA draftee post Kristine Anigwe, a commitment from 6-2 2019 Dutch forward Evelien Schipholt last month was just what the doctor ordered for the Bears.

Before for the offer came from Cal, the Bears were already on the star forward’s radar, both athletically and academically.

“I know Cal’s a big university with well-known academics,” said Schipholt. “Cal is one of the few universities that provides a combination of high-level academics and high-level basketball.”

Her official visit to Berkeley was an eye-opener for Schipholt.

“I’ve been in the U.S. a couple times before,” noted Schipholt. “My official visit to Cal was in February and I absolutely loved it. The campus is really pretty and the location was remarkable. I had never been to California before and I fell in love with it right away.

“My new home is going to feel like a permanent vacation, so I can call myself lucky, I guess.”

The future Bear was excited for her future teammates after the Bears big opening round NCAA tourney win over North Carolina, 92-72 earlier this week, and was able to see portions of the game.

“I haven’t seen the full game yet but I was so excited and happy for the girls,” said Schipholt. “They deserved this!”

Schipholt noted that the Cal staff sees her as an athletic 4 player. 

“With Kristine leaving, there are a lot of rebounds to be caught,” said Schipholt. “Since rebounding is a big part of my game, they said I’d fit in just fine.”

Rebounding isn’t the only part of her game the Bears like, as the 6-2 forward averaged 12.1 points and 11.3 rebounds in the Junior Nationals in Austria over the summer, falling to eventual finalist Liutova, playing with CTO Amsterstam.

Discussion from...

Dutch Star Forward Schipholt Ready For Her New Home

10,809 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by stu
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks Moraga!

I like that she can handle the ball, pass, and move without the ball. And I like how she's grown from 6-1 to 6-2 since February.

puget sound cal fan
Probably, she'll be 6'4" by the time she enrolls.
Lone Star
Not the most exciting of highlight films but looks like she has a solid frame and plays more the 5 or, is a stretch 4.
concordtom
Not that it matters, but I think she's good looking.
Welcome to Cal, you'll love it here.
Very lucky to get admitted. Very few do, not even me.
CalFanatic
Welcome to Cal! Was she recruited by any other programs?

Are we done recruiting for posts (transfers, grad transfers, etc)?
CalWSportsFan
concordtom said:

Not that it matters, but I think she's good looking...
You're right, it doesn't matter. Welcome to Cal.
GATC
CalWSportsFan said:

concordtom said:

Not that it matters, but I think she's good looking...
You're right, it doesn't matter. Welcome to Cal.
Well her profile says she's 6' 1", 2000 pounds. I think she looks pretty good for weighing a ton.
Finnish Oski
If we're not going to comment on how "good looking" male recruits are, perhaps to avoid the appearances of sexism and objectifying women, we should refrain from noting that female recruits are "good looking."
stu
May I comment on the coaches? At our NCAA game vs UNC Lindsay was rocking the same hairdo I've seen on our men's center Connor Vanover. But Wyking, much like myself, doesn't seem to be rocking any hairdo at all.
Schroeder71
Finnish Oski: I agree with your sentiments but I certainly hate the political correctness movement. I long for the good 'ole days when people could honestly express their feelings. I dispise much of the BS that is going on in
society today-it's absolutely ridiculous and often hypocritical.
Finnish Oski
This is not about being politically correct it's about a double standard. If you don't comment on how handsome male athletes are, then you don't comment on how attractive female athletes are. Commenting solely on females' appearance is objectification.
mbBear
Sure, if this was the good old days, then you could throw the N word around in some of your posts, or at least tell us how you got "Jewed" on your last big purchase-loved having to explain that one to someone who didn't get it as offensive.
Are you put off by political correctness because you have never been inadvertently offended by what someone has said? Kindness and respect...its not really that difficult.
stu
Getting back to the content of her character, I was pleased to read her observations about Cal's academics and location. Her statements weren't all about basketball.
stu
I seldom think about political correctness but I do try not to abuse anyone. I'm an old man who has on only three occasions I can remember been the subject of an unsolicited comment from a woman about my looks. BTW all three were memorable for their rarity.

During a job interview just after I graduated the interviewer, an older woman, mentioned she thought I was good looking and that would help. I was taken aback and decided if my looks mattered as much as my qualifications it wasn't a place where I'd want to work. Being a man in those times I had other options I'm sure a woman would not have had. I can only imagine how many thousand times more annoying and threatening comments like that would appear to a woman who might hear them on a daily basis.

The other two comments, one in my thirties and the other in my fifties, were in casual, random encounters. In that context I found them amusing.

We have a young woman crossing an ocean and a continent to be a student and an athlete at Cal. I can see how she might not appreciate comments about just her looks. Then she might not care or might be flattered. I don't know so I keep them to myself.
concordtom
Funny discussion ensued after my innocuous compliment. I appreciate it all, but it is funny, nonetheless. It's like how Biden is now having to defend himself for patting a boy on stage at a speech yesterday. "Oh, by the way, I have his permission to touch him."

How many times, at a dinner party greeting, does one hear the following: "Hi, so good to see you - you look so nice!" ?
How many times, upon introducing my five daughters, do I hear, "wow, and they are all so pretty." ?
How many times, at Sunday church, does the minister stand at the front door and greet parishioners with hugs and grasps expressing warmth and welcome?

We should not be robots. We should not be perverts. We are humans.

I retract my compliment. A basketball board is not the appropriate place to compliment on attractiveness. Point taken. And Stu, same thing happened to me once in an interview. It IS unnerving to have someone address looks out of place. But it was also kinda nice to know, "oh, so I guess that's a plus." And I took the job because it was a good job. The mention meant nothing going forward and was forgotten by all.
stu
concordtom said:

And Stu, same thing happened to me once in an interview. It IS unnerving to have someone address looks out of place. But it was also kinda nice to know, "oh, so I guess that's a plus." And I took the job because it was a good job. The mention meant nothing going forward and was forgotten by all.
I'm glad it worked out well. Your good looks must be even more impressive than mine!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.