Evina Westbrook Transferring from Tennessee

5,465 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFCALBear72
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to Raoul on Twitter, sophomore guard Evina Westbrook (from Salem, Oregon) has added her name to the transfer portal. Looking back to when she was being recruited, her other finalists were Oregon State, Notre Dame, Maryland and USC.

Should we reach out now that we have an available scholarship with Kianna Smith's departure?
ClayK
Westbrook obviously would be a great get, but since she's looking at UConn, as I understand it, I don't think a rebuilding program like Cal would be as attractive.

But you never know ...

wbbilluminati
ClayK said:

Westbrook obviously would be a great get, but since she's looking at UConn, as I understand it, I don't think a rebuilding program like Cal would be as attractive.

But you never know ...

UConn? *rolls eyes*

Wake me up if she transfers to Oregon or Oregon State (after all she's from there, so they might be in the mix)

If she becomes a Duck she managed to get immediate eligibility and Ionescu returns next season, now THAT would be exciting!
willtalk
We also need to remember that entering the Transfer Portal does not guarantee she will transfer. She still leaves open the option of staying if she likes the new coach.
wbbilluminati
Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if in Evina's case, she ends up staying at Tennessee. She clearly felt there needed to be a coaching change, so now that that has been done, I imagine she will heavily consider staying and giving Kellie Harper a chance.

pearbear
Apparently, after meeting with new Tennessee coach, Westbrook still intends to transfer...

ESPN

No inside info, but I'd doubt very much she'd look at a program like Cal at this point.
SFCALBear72
Evina Westbrook is heading to UConn and is seeking immediate eligibility as per Raoul

ClayK
If she has a good lawyer, she'll be on the court in November.

Now, why should the ability to hire a good lawyer determine whether a player has to sit a year or not?
SFCALBear72
ClayK said:

Now, why should the ability to hire a good lawyer determine whether a player has to sit a year or not?
With coaching change at Tennessee, she may not need a lawyer.
willtalk
ClayK said:

The NCAA does not want anyone taking them to court because they are afraid that would be the beginning of the end of their control over college athletics. They have basically given themselves all the power that they have. If someone were to ever really force an investigation into their organization they could turn up all sorts of dirt. The last thing that those that have things to hide want is an investigation or exposure. They are always the ones investigating, but who has ever investigated them?
ClayK
No question that the NCAA doesn't want a lawsuit ... if its transfer rules got squashed in court, all the high school transfer rules would likely soon follow.

But to me, the bigger point is that an athlete with access to money or cheap legal help (mom's a lawyer) can do things that poorer athletes can't.
Lone Star
This whole sitting out for a year transfer rule will soon be squashed. Too many kids transferring which only adds to educational costs. May not take any type of lawsuit. College sports is starting to mirror professional sports with all the hopping about.
ClayK
Lone Star said:

This whole sitting out for a year transfer rule will soon be squashed. Too many kids transferring which only adds to educational costs. May not take any type of lawsuit. College sports is starting to mirror professional sports with all the hopping about.
And in the end, what difference does it make? Coaches move, ADs move, regular students move ...

The games are still the games ...
HoopDreams
Recruiting was already 10 months a year
Now it's 7/24/365

When you are not recruiting HS players and transfers, you are recruiting your own players

Plus everyone has 15 official visits now

No rest for the weary coaches
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

Recruiting was already 10 months a year
Now it's 7/24/365

When you are not recruiting HS players and transfers, you are recruiting your own players

Plus everyone has 15 official visits now

No rest for the weary coaches
Exactly.

I really like what new coach April Phillips is doing on Twitter. Keeping the Cal brand out there in the minds of recruits and reminding current players what the school is all about. We'll see how this works on recruits.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.