Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Fatou Samb
Cal Basketball Recruiting

5 Star Post Fatou Samb Becomes First Building Block in Talented 2020 Cal Class

October 24, 2019

The first of two talented 5 star commits this week, 6’3 Houston post Fatou Samb joins today's commit -Michelle Onyiah- in the first pieces of a talented 2020 Cal women's hoops class.

Samb, the #53 overall and #6 post in the nation will give the Bears one of a couple pieces to help rebuild the front court after the departure of 1st round draft pick Kristine Anigwe, Cal’s all-leading scorer and rebounder.

“Fatou is a great player, but more importantly, a great person,” said AAU coach Chris Johnson. “She is the kind of young lady that others gravitate to. She is the first to help younger players in our program, whether in drills or advice in the game.

“On the court, she is a traditional, back-to-the-bucket post who has an array of offensive moves. She takes great pride in her defense and loves to block shots. Cal will be getting an exceptional young lady in character who will bring a true post presence.”

Notes ESPN/Hoopgurlz: “Skilled low-post prospect with efficient interior game; post-up game yields results; defends in the paint, rebounds and initiates the fast break; mobile in transition game; elite front court prospect in the class of 2020. Low-post performer brings emerging back-to-basket game results; nimble footwork in the paint, active on the glass.”

Samb is particulary excited to be heading West and joining the Cal program.

“Cal started recruiting me around this time last year,” said Samb. “I remember Coach Charmin coming out to a game last season and from there, we’ve been on the phone and communicating and coming to games. 

“After Coach Lindsay (Gottlieb) left, the relationship never really slowed down. We had a home visit, which was great. I was already in love with the school so I wasn’t just going to change the way I felt about Cal. They’ve always been great during the process, with the entire coaching staff over the last year.”

The addition of former Arizona assistant April Phillips to the Bears’ staff also helped the Cal’s momentum in the recruitment of the 5 star Houston native, continuing the relationship they built before her arrival at Cal.

“I also talked to Coach April when she was at Arizona quite a bit,” said Samb. “We just continued to build our relationship as well as my relationship with the whole staff when she came to Cal.”

Her recent visit to Cal reaffirmed Samb’s early impressions that the Cal program and university were the right place for her.

“The visit was really great,” said Samb. “It was my first one so I was pretty nervous about how it was going to go and what we’d do. But overall, the visit was great. I was there with (PG) Genesis (Bryant) and Lay Lay (Dalayah Daniels) on my trip.

“I knew the university was one of the top ones in the world and my visit just reaffirmed that. It was very diverse and I liked that a lot.”

The closeness of the team and the interaction with the players and coaches also gave Samb the feeling of home that helped make the Bears’ program stand out, as well.

“I love the team culture,” noted Samb. “They definitely get at it in practice and I like that. They’re a really fun group of girls, both on and off the court. They communicate very well and they’re really close off the court and really friendly and family-oriented, which I really like. And the coaches’ relationships with the players really stood out. It was great to see that. That’s something I really look for.”

The academic piece was the clincher for the talented post. The Bears beat out Harvard, Michigan, Wake Forest and Rice for Samb’s commitment.

“Academically, we knew going forward that all my final schools were strong academically but none were at the level of Cal, especially in my area of interest, the Haas School of Business. I took a tour there and talked to some professors. They’re amazing and the connections you have there are amazing.”

The talented Samb is hard at work in making her game more well-rounded after excelling largely on the defensive end of the court.

“I feel like on the defensive end, my presence is more well-known, with blocked shots, helping on help side, rebounding. I definitely want to keep expanding my offensive game and back-to-the-basket game, short corner and high post. I’m working on getting everything ready for the next level.”

Samb’s parents came from Senegal, with her dad first coming to America, and her mom following later with him, eventually settling down in the Houston area after living in New York and New Jersey before having Samb and her younger sister.

A source of additional inspiration for Samb was the play of former Bear Kristine Anigwe -someone she’d like to try and emulate at Cal, if possible.

“Kristine’s offensive game -even her defensive game- I’d love to replicate that,” said Samb. “I’d love to be at that level, being a force, being aggressive, finishing well around the basket, rebounding. I caught a few of her games and I LOVE her game.”

With the additional commitment of Onyiah today, look for another 1-2 additional members in the Cal 2020 class.

Discussion from...

5 Star Post Fatou Samb Becomes First Building Block in Talented 2020 Cal Class

11,337 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ashfield63
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Ashfield63
Fatou Samb is very sharp and charming. Charmin and staff are bringing terrific student athletes to CAL WBB. The current freshman have an average 3.2 GPA. Having a degree from CAL is quite an accomplishment. Thanks for posting this clip....
GGV
Schroeder71
https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/fatou-samb/9KrbJKITEeaAdqA2nzwY6g/default.htm

Fatou Samb (6-4) plays the center role for her Westside High team. She averages 10.4 ppg but grabs 11.1 rpg. She also defends the rim with 3.2 blocks per game. This is exactly the role that Cal needs Samb to fill next season after CJ West & Chen Yue graduate. GO BEARS!
BearBint
What a sharp, gorgeous, articulate young woman. (No cries of sexism, please. As far as I'm concerned, both males and females can be gorgeous; their fitness and vitality play a large role in it.) And she likes to block. I look forward to the next season--I feel better about this one as well.
CalWSportsFan
Welcome to Cal!
Finnish Oski
Quote:

What a sharp, gorgeous, articulate young woman. (No cries of sexism, please. As far as I'm concerned, both males and females can be gorgeous; their fitness and vitality play a large role in it.)
As proof of your convictions one must assume that you comment on how handsome some of the men are as well.
stu
Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

What a sharp, gorgeous, articulate young woman. (No cries of sexism, please. As far as I'm concerned, both males and females can be gorgeous; their fitness and vitality play a large role in it.)
As proof of your convictions one must assume that you comment on how handsome some of the men are as well.
Like me?
BearBint
Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

Naturally. Male basketball players have the best shoulders in sports. (This is according to our younger daughter, a rampant chauvinist.)
ClayK
Samb may have a ways to go ...

She's 6-4 and has played against a very weak schedule (Houston area is down this year) and she's shooting 39%. She has eight assists and 56 turnovers.

The good news: 62% from the line and 3.2 blocks per game.

Finnish Oski
Quote:

Naturally. Male basketball players have the best shoulders in sports. (This is according to our younger daughter, a rampant chauvinist.)
The point is that you probably haven't made reference to a particular male athlete's good looks, yet you do to a a high school girl., one who is coming to Cal on an athletic scholarship. As far as saying your daughter is a chauvinist, do you even know what the word means? According to Merriam-Webster: "an attitude of superiority toward members of the opposite sex." You also misused the word rampant. Maybe you should bookmark a dictionary on your computer and when you do look up objectifying.
wvitbear
Why the diatribe to Bearbint? She is a middle aged woman (and I mean no offense by describing her as middle aged). She is a loyal poster and means no harm.

And even if she was a man, as long as she bus a ticket, I don't care. Plenty of women buy tickets to male sports to ogle the athletes. I don't see any college women at the women's games. Se ncan say whatever she wants as far as i am concerned.
Finnish Oski
Quote:

Why the diatribe to Bearbint? She is a middle aged woman (and I mean no offense by describing her as middle aged). She is a loyal poster and means no harm.

And even if she was a man, as long as she bus a ticket, I don't care. Plenty of women buy tickets to male sports to ogle the athletes. I don't see any college women at the women's games. Se ncan say whatever she wants as far as i am concerned.
You're right. If this is place that excuses ignorance and allows objectification and discourages criticism, then I should -- figuratively speaking -- keep my mouth shut. Middle aged women who post a lot and buy tickets should have carte blanche to say whatever they want without fear of contradiction. Also, judging from your comment, this is a place where people don't bother to proofread before they post. I'll take my musings elsewhere.
HoopDreams
Interesting stats
Watching her highlight videos I see a smoother athletic player

Maybe every teams double-triple team her and she hasn't yet learned how to pass out of them?

What's her rebounding stats?

ClayK said:

She's 6-4 and has played against a very weak schedule (Houston area is down this year) and she's shooting 39%. She has eight assists and 56 turnovers.

Ashfield63
Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

You're right. If this is place that excuses ignorance and allows objectification and discourages criticism, then I should -- figuratively speaking -- keep my mouth shut. Middle aged women who post a lot and buy tickets should have carte blanche to say whatever they want without fear of contradiction. Also, judging from your comment, this is a place where people don't bother to proofread before they post. I'll take my musings elsewhere.
I am a grandmother and have been a WBB ardent fan since I watched the BEARS win the WNIT at Haas in yr. 2010. We used to live in Moraga, and enjoyed the terrific teams coached by Kelly Graves at St. Mary's College. All three Morris sisters, who were excellent players for Campolindo Highschool stayed home and played for St. Mary's. My son knew the two older girls. After seeing the clip of Fatou, I too thought she was beautiful. I posted she was sharp and charming. We should see her in many post-game press conference videos during her years at Cal.
GGV
GATC
ClayK said:

Thanks for the stats. It does seem like her high rating was based more on her potential than productivity. She will probably have less playing time than the other four newcomers. It will be fun to she how she develops under Charmin.
ClayK
I coached all three Morris sisters at Campo ... did our paths cross back then?
Ashfield63
ClayK said:

I coached all three Morris sisters at Campo ... did our paths cross back then?
I don't think we crossed paths. My son Mitch was not on any team at Campo. Are you still coaching?
GGV
BearBint
wvitbear said:

Thank you, wvitbear. I was joking, but jokes are often taken seriously/amiss on-line. I meant "rampant" in the sense of Merriam-Webster's second definition,* as opposed to the heraldic one (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rampant) and "chauvinist," of course, in the sense of male/female chauvinism, rather than exaggerated patriotism. "Sexist" might have been more accurate.

*O.T.: "a menacing wildness, extravagance, or absence of restraint" certainly describes BearDaughter.

Finnish Oski is right to pay attention to words and their meaning. Still, it is hard to enjoy a site when one risks being smacked upside the cyber-head for a post that was meant to be playful.

Anyway, I shall send this thread to BearBloke, who loves arguments about usage.
Finnish Oski
Quote:

Finnish Oski is right to pay attention to words and their meaning. Still, it is hard to enjoy a site when one risks being smacked upside the cyber-head for a post that was meant to be playful.
Sorry, did not mean to cyber smack anyone. I think I'll take the proverbial chill pill. I am someone with a great sense of humor who often gets too serious when on-line. Go Bears! and here's hoping we can all be cyber friends.
ClayK
I'm an assistant at Miramonte now ... Tracy Morris' daughter played for us for one year before Tracy got the job at Southern Utah and Sam went back there with her.

Ashfield63
ClayK said:

I'm an assistant at Miramonte now ... Tracy Morris' daughter played for us for one year before Tracy got the job at Southern Utah and Sam went back there with her.

Thank you, I sat next to a relative of the Morris family at the CAL WBB banquet last April. She told me
about Tracy, good for her after all of her years at St. Marys.
GGV
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.