6-8 Sela Heide

5,832 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
bearwbbfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Played AAU with Dalayah Daniels.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/high-school/mount-sis-6-foot-8-forward-sela-heide-finally-back-on-court-recruiting-radar/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true
puget sound cal fan
Unfortunately, Heide injured her knee and will be out for the year. She is committed to U$C.
bearwbbfan
You're thinking of Jordyn Jenkins, who also plays for Tree of Hope with Daniels and Heide. Did you read the article?
Ashfield63
Delayah Daniels and two of her highschool teammates have been out do to injuries. The article said they are to return soon. Good News!
GGV
bearwbbfan
Sela has committed to Cal! Welcome
Intuit
Where is the California commitment announcement?
Baygbear
Just watched her highlights on MaxPreps and she looks awfully slow and will take some time to develop her footwork. Seems like another Chen
annarborbear
Definitely a project. But both of her parents played basketball at Oregon State, so there are some family genetics to work with as she keeps maturing. Coming back from a serious knee injury history will be the key.
Ashfield63
kjimenez707 said:

Just watched her highlights on MaxPreps and she looks awfully slow and will take some time to develop her footwork. Seems like another Chen
I trust Charmin and staff....they are recruiting very sharp Student/Athletes. If I couln't get accepted by Stanford as a freshman, but got into CAL, I would be thrilled. Players coming to CAL know they will have to work hard on and of the court. Should Charmin add a "Bigs" coach!!! How can you compare her to Chen. It has been said that Chen wasn't developed as a post during her first three years at CAL. During one post-game press conference recently, when she played very well, she talked about the love she feels being part of this team! She spoke from the heart. Chen is very academic, and is excelling as a student. I played sports in highschool, am competitive, and love to win games! I know this is a tough year for WBB, but the players put in so much effort each and every game. They are undersized, and lack the strength to be competitive in the Pac-12 this season. They get roughed up alot, but they are committed to their teammates and Charmin. Welcome Sela!!!
GGV
wvitbear
With three bigs coming in and ESlip, we can afford to nurse her along. I'll say this, she is tall. Witness yesterday.
stu
Intuit said:

Where is the California commitment announcement?
I think we'll have to wait for the official signing period in April. At this point, committed or not, she's still a recruit.
ClayK
The problem with tall players is that someone has to get them the ball, and several someones need to be three-point threats.

Of course Charmin should take whatever talent she can get, given the state of the roster, but the need for quality perimeter players ratchets up with each signing of a post.
CalFanatic
ANOTHER top 100 recruit in this class?! I assume this moves up even higher from the #6 class. WOW. I can't wait for next year.
dmh65
I don't follow WBB very closely.... yet! Can someone tell me how they think next year's team will shape up, how you picture the depth at each position given the returning players and new recruits? Level of optimism seems very high, I'm hoping that Cal women can generate excitement and wins like they did a few years ago. Go Bears!
stu
dmh65 said:

I don't follow WBB very closely.... yet! Can someone tell me how they think next year's team will shape up, how you picture the depth at each position given the returning players and new recruits? Level of optimism seems very high, I'm hoping that Cal women can generate excitement and wins like they did a few years ago. Go Bears!
I expect a wild ride next season because the team will be mostly freshies and sophs. I don't see five distinct positions but two, guards and bigs. No obvious wings like Jaelyn and the only one-position players will probably be Leilani at point and Sela at center.

At guard we'll have more depth and experience with five players (six if Mi'Cole can play) and just one freshie. This season our guards have had shooting, turnover, and perimeter defense problems which I attribute mostly to inexperience.

Up front we'll have more depth and talent with six players including several five-star freshies. Experience will be a problem with just one soph and one senior in the group.

I'm looking forward to bigger things two or three seasons from now when all this talent will have matured and we may have added one or two five-star perimeter players.
Finnish Oski
Quote:

Experience will be a problem with just one soph and one senior in the group.
I believe you meant one junior and one senior. Otherwise excellent analysis. That could be two seniors if MiCole is healthy, plus it's possible we may still add a JC or grad transfer, I seriously doubt any additional freshmen will come in.
You're right that in another two years, if Charmin maintains this level of recruiting, the Bears could be very good indeed. Imagine when the current freshies are seniors and there are three strong recruiting classes behind them.
HoopDreams
A grad transfer athletic/slashing 3 would be perfect, thank you
stu
Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

Experience will be a problem with just one soph and one senior in the group.
I believe you meant one junior and one senior.
Sorry I wasn't all that clear. The group I meant was just the bigs so Alaysia was the senior and Evelien was the soph.
stu
HoopDreams said:

A grad transfer athletic/slashing 3 would be perfect, thank you
+1
Ashfield63
stu said:

dmh65 said:

I expect a wild ride next season because the team will be mostly freshies and sophs. I don't see five distinct positions but two, guards and bigs. No obvious wings like Jaelyn and the only one-position players will probably be Leilani at point and Sela at center.

At guard we'll have more depth and experience with five players (six if Mi'Cole can play) and just one freshie. This season our guards have had shooting, turnover, and perimeter defense problems which I attribute mostly to inexperience.

Up front we'll have more depth and talent with six players including several five-star freshies. Experience will be a problem with just one soph and one senior in the group.

I'm looking forward to bigger things two or three seasons from now when all this talent will have matured and we may have added one or two five-star perimeter players.
Fatou Samb,6'- 3',...ESPN W-100.......6th Best Post, #53 Overall

Dalayah Daniels,6'- 4'', ESPN W-100....#14 Overall.....Forward, and can play the Post

Michelle Oniyah,6'- 3" ESPN W-100.....#34 Overall....Forward

Sela isn't the only Post......She and Dalayah play on the same AAU Team
GGV
MoragaBear
Staff
Sela's speed and movement were heavily-impacted by her kneecap being displaced 7 times. She's had successful surgery and has been back playing in the last couple games.
annarborbear
Looks like a player who will benefit from a redshirt year accompanied by excellent medical care and training. Nothing wrong with that as we build the roster.
wvitbear
At the practice, I noticed that she spent a lot of time with West. And I think she spent some time with Murray.

We have enough bigs next year. The question is the guards. Will our Euro be a wing? Will Daniels be a wing. Will E Schip eventually be a wing?
annarborbear
The mystery player for me has always been Styles. High school tape looked great. Seems to have a lot of talent. But never very much production. This being a lost year, I wonder why they don't tell her to take 12 shots per game and use this time for development.
GATC
annarborbear said:

The mystery player for me has always been Styles. High school tape looked great. Seems to have a lot of talent. But never very much production. This being a lost year, I wonder why they don't tell her to take 12 shots per game and use this time for development.
At the talk after one of the non-conference games someone asked Charmin about the open shots from the top of the key and she said that Styles can hit that shot (which she did) and then the opponents adjusted to it. She made it sound like she is encouraging Styles to shoot more.

In non-conference Styles shot 50.5% (including 3 of 12 from 3). In conference she is shooting 34.0% (including 2 of 15 from 3). She took 8.6 shots per game in non-conference and 5.9 shots per game in conference. It seems like she should only shoot more if she gets her shot and she is good in transition. The stat that is of concern is that her rebounding has dropped from 5.4 rebounds per game to 2.8 and her minutes in conference dropped (25.1 to 19.1).

annarborbear
GATC said:

annarborbear said:

At the talk after one of the non-conference games someone asked Charmin about the open shots from the top of the key and she said that Styles can hit that shot (which she did) and then the opponents adjusted to it. She made it sound like she is encouraging Styles to shoot more.

In non-conference Styles shot 50.5% (including 3 of 12 from 3). In conference she is shooting 34.0% (including 2 of 15 from 3). She took 8.6 shots per game in non-conference and 5.9 shots per game in conference. It seems like she should only shoot more if she gets her shot and she is good in transition. The stat that is of concern is that her rebounding has dropped from 5.4 rebounds per game to 2.8 and her minutes in conference dropped (25.1 to 19.1).

I remember in her high school tape she would drive a lot to the basket from the top of the key after faking a shot. Drew a lot of fouls. Too bad they cannot resurrect that part of her game.
wvitbear
I still thin she has something the wrong with her legs.
stu
Through the years we've recruited a number of tweeners who were great high school players but lacked the strength to play inside and the skills to play outside in college. It didn't often work out well because some people with small frames can't bulk up and perimeter skills take many years to develop.
ClayK
stu said:

Through the years we've recruited a number of tweeners who were great high school players but lacked the strength to play inside and the skills to play outside in college. It didn't often work out well because some people with small frames can't bulk up and perimeter skills take many years to develop.
Really a key point, and why rankings often are misleading.

First, except for transcendent talents, you need a position. A 5-10 power forward isn't going to be a great college player; a 5-3 point guard is going to struggle.

Second, unless you're 6-3 or taller, you have to be able to shoot. You can be a high school goddess with a shaky perimeter game, but that won't fly in college.

Third, you have to improve. That sounds simple, but the player who's completely developed as a high school player (and there are some) has nowhere to go. She is who she is, and generally that's not enough. Especially for Cal, recruiting a player who has room to develop is pretty important, whether that improvement be adding strength, understanding the game better, etc. And of course the hardest thing about projecting talent in any sport is determining when a player will stop improving.

wvitbear
Ashley Walker was a 5'11" power forward and she was great.

Would agree with rest of what you said but there are exceptions.
stu
wvitbear said:

Ashley Walker was a 5'11" power forward and she was great.
Ashley was strong and had a great skill set. Height helps but isn't everything, e.g. Jordin Canada.
ClayK
Walker was really, really good -- almost made the WNBA at her size, which is pretty amazing.

Canada's at the bottom end of the size range ... and is also extremely talented.
puget sound cal fan
CALWBBFan, you are correct. It was USC commit Jenkins, not Heide, who was injured, although Sara did have surgeries to repair her two dislocated knee caps. She's back on the floor playing now., though.
puget sound cal fan
Cal is a finalist for the 6'4" post, Lattimore, from Toronto. Charmin is stocking-up on bigs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.