Beilein Out?

3,569 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by smh
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ESPN is reporting that the Cav's are discussing with John Beilein the possibility of his stepping down before the end of the All-Star break. Apparently, things haven't gone well with his players in recent months. Associate Head Coach JB Bickerstaff would likely take over, at least on an interim basis.
puget sound cal fan
How will that affect our former Cal WBB Coach?
annarborbear
Hopefully she has at least a two-year contract, and can still make this a good mid-career learning experience. But assistant coaching positions in pro sports usually do not come with much job security.
ClayK
I don't think it will make any difference at all. Hiring female assistants on staffs with 10 coaches is virtue signalling, basically, and so no team is going to fire a female assistant without a really good reason.

annarborbear
Beilein is already being mentioned for various college openings. So that is another option.
philbert

Lone Star
I knew this was not going to workout for Belein from day#1. Mid 60-something coach coming from a great program he rebuilt to go into the pros, especially to a team that was just dismantled with the departure of the game's current greatest player? I am sure the payout will be nice but, she should have stuck to college coaching (just ask Nick Saban)
really
Stumbled on this article in trying to catch up on my NBA news -- (admit falling asleep in the middle but) at the end, it talks about 2 coaches to watch for the future.... Seems the Cavs were going for more than 'virtue signalling.'

Quote:

Two for the future
Lindsay Gottlieb has wowed with her attention to detail and temperament in Cleveland. Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports

They might be a few years away from consideration, but keep an eye on these coaches.

Candidates
The community of midlevel front-office execs who closely follow the G League and the player development scene name current Thunder assistant Mark Daigneault as a brainy coach with promising upside. Daigneault coached the Thunder's G League team for five years before moving to Donovan's bench, where he has distinguished himself with his disposition and direct but empathetic manner of communicating with players and co-workers.

After 11 years as head coach of the women's programs at UC Santa Barbara and Cal, Lindsay Gottlieb was offered the job with the G League's Iowa Wolves but ultimately opted to join the Cavaliers' coaching staff. Since her arrival, Gottlieb has wowed with her attention to detail and temperament. When the Cavs' young stars grow frustrated headed into a timeout, Gottlieb is often the first face they look for on the bench, and her developmental work with Collin Sexton has impressed players, colleagues and management. Her analytical mind and problem-solving lead some to believe that she could also be considered as a future NBA GM.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29263878/top-nba-head-coach-prospects-tyronn-lue-tom-thibodeau-chris-finch
stu
Quote:

Her analytical mind and problem-solving lead some to believe that she could also be considered as a future NBA GM.
Interesting they suggest GM but not HC.
calbear80
LG as an NBA GM .... now that is a ssstttrrreeetttccchhh!
annarborbear
calbear80 said:

I actually think it could be a great fit down the road. Lindsay has some excellent people and analytical skills and solid basketball knowledge. She seemed to over-analyze as a head coach and was obviously not great when getting tough was required. But a GM has to put together a very complicated puzzle with long-term thinking, and that could be what she does better than many others.
mbBear
calbear80 said:

Apples and Oranges to being a coach. Whatever bias you have about her because of her Cal tenure, there isn't anything that would connect the dots on her GM abilities, or lack there of.
GATC
mbBear said:

calbear80 said:

Apples and Oranges to being a coach. Whatever bias you have about her because of her Cal tenure, there isn't anything that would connect the dots on her GM abilities, or lack there of.
So who had the GM responsibilities when LG was the head coach? Jill Culbertson (6 years) and Araceli Gil (2 years) had the Director of Operations title, but it didn't seem like they had anything to do with building a team, which to me is the main responsibility of the GM. Seems like a Woman's Basketball Coach is also responsible for key functions of a GM.

philbert
GATC said:

mbBear said:

calbear80 said:

So who had the GM responsibilities when LG was the head coach? Jill Culbertson (6 years) and Araceli Gil (2 years) had the Director of Operations title, but it didn't seem like they had anything to do with building a team, which to me is the main responsibility of the GM. Seems like a Woman's Basketball Coach is also responsible for key functions of a GM.

I'm no fan of LG as I felt her recruiting and offensive game plans were subpar. But acquiring players in college vs the pros is very different as you're not subject to the whims of a 17 year old's decisions. Drafts and trades are the primary ways to get talent in the WNBA and aren't even close to traditional recruiting. Free agency is somewhat like recruiting, but often comes down to who offers the most $$$. Also, GMs aren't responsible for game planning and in-game coaching.

Can she be a good GM? No idea, but her Cal coaching stint isn't necessarily an indicator either way.
mbBear
GATC said:

mbBear said:

calbear80 said:

Not a single player contract dealt with, no transactions that you control (vs the player controlling), and no dealing with a salary cap to determine your roster.
annarborbear
Looking at NBA GM's it is a pretty eclectic group. One guy was a college lacrosse player who started out as a soap opera actor on All My Children. It looks like the main qualification is having someone willing to give you an initial job at something in management. After that, you have to prove yourself capable of moving up.
smh
come on, annarborbear, who's gonna believe that?? oh..

https://moneyinc.com/highest-paid-gms-in-the-nba/
Quote:

Neil Olshey

Born January 10, 1965, Neil Olshey is the General Manager of the [Portland Trailblazers. Olshey moved to New York to launch his acting career. This feat landed him roles on All My Children, Loving and One Life to Live, before moving to Los Angeles. In L.A he worked as a Player Development Director.

In his early years, he worked as an assistant coach at Artesia High School and also organized Pre-draft training camps for the NBA. In 2003 he joined the L o Angeles Clippers as the director of player personnel. Later in 2004 he was promoted to assistant head coach. Following success on and off the court, he was promoted to assistant GM.

He appeared as himself on the Season 7 of IFC series ''Portlandia''.
His salary is unknown but with bonuses and commissions in the region of $450,000 last year and a net worth well over $50 million, his salary this year should clock $6.5 million; a figure that could change depending on the team's performance.
late ps -> imdb.com's highly regarded media database doesn't list his soap gigs, fwiw, only a few occasions pretending to be himself
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?sort=moviemeter&explore=genres&role=nm6438053
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.