Ionescu Pushoffs

2,094 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ashfield63
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There was a photo today on ESPN of Ionescu pushing off with her forearm on Crocker while dribbling and while Crocker had her hands straight up on defense. This happened often in the Oregon game and was pretty annoying. I hope some refs will call this on Ionescu once the tournament begins. Hate to see any player doing things that other players are not allowed to do.
stu
Plum used to get away with a lot as well. I'd hope the refs aren't star-struck, but that might be asking a lot.
GOLDEN
The little man at Oregon State thinks the refs don't call anything in the P-12.
Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

There was a photo today on ESPN of Ionescu pushing off with her forearm on Crocker while dribbling and while Crocker had her hands straight up on defense. This happened often in the Oregon game and was pretty annoying. I hope some refs will call this on Ionescu once the tournament begins. Hate to see any player doing things that other players are not allowed to do.
I saw Ionescu doing this either at the game or on the Pac-12 replay. I'm thinking, isn't this a foul........Jaelyn Brown has been called for many fouls that just did not seem fair. Jaelyn has two people on her, and no foul is called many times. Bird got a technical not too long ago when she said...finally...after a foul was called by the referee. She smiled about the whole thing. Bird has a pleasing way about her. She spoke so well of Chen during her tribute. Charmin doesn't over do it, but rightly points out violations to the refs.

GGV
Lone Star
I will give Ionescu credit in that she is a great player and Kelly Graves system was a perfect fit for her to shine.

However, in watching her play over the past 4+ years, things that are abrasive to me are not the "push-offs" that don't get called but the ugly and awkward "flops" that she takes in jump shots that almost always get called. I mean, someone that athletic should be more graceful at flopping. Her flops are flat out awkward and ugly but, get called most of the time.

Secondly, you would never think she commits a foul by the look on her face when she is called for one. Just accept the call an move on. Don't give the officials some scorned look like they don't know what they are doing.
blungld
stu said:

Plum used to get away with a lot as well. I'd hope the refs aren't star-struck, but that might be asking a lot.
Plum was the absolute worst. She was the Danny Ainge of women's basketball to me. Loved to cheer against her. Hated how she always initiated contact and was protected by the refs. Got to the point where she knew she would get the call so she would just plow into people.
IssyBear
blungld said:

stu said:

Plum was the absolute worst. She was the Danny Ainge of women's basketball to me. Loved to cheer against her. Hated how she always initiated contact and was protected by the refs. Got to the point where she knew she would get the call so she would just plow into people.
My favorite memory of Plum was once when she tried to dive into a Cal player to "get" her foul, the Cal player backed up out of her way and Plum lost her balance and got called for traveling. That's about all you can do in such a situation as the refs will normally give the offensive "star" the call if you try to hold your ground.
Ashfield63
Lone Star said:

I will give Ionescu credit in that she is a great player and Kelly Graves system was a perfect fit for her to shine.

However, in watching her play over the past 4+ years, things that are abrasive to me are not the "push-offs" that don't get called but the ugly and awkward "flops" that she takes in jump shots that almost always get called. I mean, someone that athletic should be more graceful at flopping. Her flops are flat out awkward and ugly but, get called most of the time.

Secondly, you would never think she commits a foul by the look on her face when she is called for one. Just accept the call an move on. Don't give the officials some scorned look like they don't know what they are doing.
I have had enough of Oregon....they hogged the north end of Haas blocking the exit.....Cal had their silent auction and Bear fans were taking selfies and mingling with our players......It was a social time....when this concluded after at least for 50 minutes, a younger Cal staffer kept asking the people to clear the floor.....How many times did she announce this very politely over the PA system......they didn't budge...it was a little hard to hear her because of the Oregon crowd, including players...I think she said something about autographs......Steph Curry was at the game with his two young daughters, maybe he was still there?.......finally, probably, at least an hour after the game ended....Several security people stood on the floor got behind the crowd, and kept asking them to exit.... they moved ever so slowly the entire crowd was still there when I left. On my way out I let two men in as one of them had left his cell phone on the second level. They were grateful as every door to Haas was locked. One person had said. "Oregon is treating this like a home game." We lived in Moraga and were St. Mary's WBB fans during the Kelly Graves era. The 3 Morrris sisters from Moraga stayed home and played for St, Mary's. Both Graves and Caren Hortzmeyer applied for the Cal HC position. You know who was hired. He then went to Gonzaga and made them winners, then on to
Oregon. He is a winning coach, but that doesn't mean much to me. After the Stanford game on Monday, he said SI had played with the flu. Meanwhile, he didn't mention she had flown to LA and back for the Kobe Bryant memorial. SI stated at one point on Monday, that she texts Kobe Bryant everyday.....Strange or what....She put on a show at Stanford, and broke about every NCAA record, evidently while being sick with the flu. I get the feeling Oregon WBB feels entitled to the National Championship. I have ranted enough. The helicopter crash was horrible for sure. The loss of life is so terrible.
GGV
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.